Villiers 2 stroke question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, not chainsaw related, but engine related none the less.

It’s an old 1960-1970’s villiers 2 stroke and there is a barb coming off the cylinder intake manifold in front of the carb. I have no idea why it’s there. If I had the manual I’d be able to figure it out, but i can’t see any model or serial on it anywhere.

I have checked and it’s not blocked. The only reasonable answer I can come up with is that it’s a seperate oil feed supplying 2 stroke, but there is no seperate tank...
Any guidance or advice is really appreciated, Thank you!

B4BABB2A-600A-4A45-876C-C7B5FF1F2D3A.jpeg

Try plugging it. I can't imagine that it is good to have an open vacuum port.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
I agree it’s not doing any good. I won’t run it again until I know what it’s for, that short video was just seeing if a carb clean and line repair worked.

Rather than just plugging though it I’d rather know what it does. Before it goes back to its owner, it’s the last thing I need to figure out :)

It was really kind - I was given it as he said he had always intended on getting it back and running as it was his fathers, but never had the time. He gave it to me knowing I’d take care and appreciate it, however, now it’s fixed I’m going to return it to him. First I need to find out what the hole is for haha.

I agree it’s not doing any good. I won’t run it again until I know what it’s for, that short video was just seeing if a carb clean and line repair worked.

Rather than just plugging though it I’d rather know what it does. Before it goes back to its owner, it’s the last thing I need to figure out :)

It was really kind - I was given it as he said he had always intended on getting it back and running as it was his fathers, but never had the time. He gave it to me knowing I’d take care and appreciate it, however, now it’s fixed I’m going to return it to him. First I need to find out what the hole is for haha.
It may have went to an accessory like a pump on some configurations but not on this one. It may have had a rubber plug on it that rotted off years ago. If you don't plug it, it will be an air leak that can cause scoring of the piston.

It may have went to an accessory like a pump on some configurations but not on this one. It may have had a rubber plug on it that rotted off years ago. If you don't plug it, it will be an air leak that can cause scoring of the piston.

I think this is absolutely plausible mate. There is no function for it on this setup I can see yet it’s there.

Might be a primmer fitting. Old, (ahmmm... I mean vintage), snowmobiles had them. Shoots mixed fuel right into the intake with a black primmer bulb or a plunger setup.

I still use a primmer plunger on my old Kawasaki X2 MOD jet ski. A couple good shots of 110 into the intake ports and off we go!

Update for everyone - you may recal this post about the barb in the intake, none of us knew what it was for and no manual specified anything about it.

I finally got around to talking to the owner of my Stihl shop, he knew right away.

so that barb should have a hose on it, that hose runs around to the top of the cylinder to an automatic decompression valve.

The vacuum created in the intake manifold at running rpm closes a poppet valve as it acts on a diaphragm held open by a spring. It’s a one way valve so pressure doesn’t affect it.

So, valve stays open while you pull the engine over, then when the engine starts the vacuum closes the valve.

So there we go :) it’s a barb that transfers negative pressure to an auto decomp!

A video on the function

Back