Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mods have that stuff prefiltered out, that way you can't be talking about the competition.

Not long in that case, there always has to be a wear surface ie: chrome on alum, steel on alum, brass on steel that kinda thing, if you have two unplated aluminum wear parts they will start to gall one another in no time
The original Chevy Vegas engines would only last about 15k miles before they were shot. The reason was aluminum cylinders and pistons. This worked fine in the Can Am race cars, not so good in extended use however. Chevy later went to steel sleeves but by then, what was otherwise a decent little car's, reputation had been ruined. I had a friend in high school with one and it used more oil than gas, wow what a blue cloud, kinda inverted premix.

Would it look like this[emoji24]
2aee747ea19a6033a3710aa40f403533.jpg

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

That's what I thought, was told it looked like it was straight gassed but my other saws I was and still am is running off the same mix. On rear down I did find on of the crank seals had took a crap but don't think it would have done this. Plus I don't think you can lightly buff chrome off a piston.

That's what I thought, was told it looked like it was straight gassed but my other saws I was and still am is running off the same mix. On rear down I did find on of the crank seals had took a crap but don't think it would have done this. Plus I don't think you can lightly buff chrome off a piston.

Well, the seal may have had a larger part to do with the failure than a potenitally unplated cylinder. I think pretty much every cylinder has some sort of coating on it, especially many of the later models. Even if you are running the right mix an air-leak would still have some serious problems.

Back