Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Dad had a Mono line saw back in the late 60's. I remember finding it at n the barn after he passed away but I was just a kid and don't know what ever happened to it. This is not my picture but It looked like this saw.
a89cb791388cdcc46b816e2eb20e9743.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maaaan! you guys sure talk a lot! Just caught up with all the posts after being gone island camping in the Adirondack park. All those words and smack talking and not one mention of the only saws that actually count. You guys know which ones... Echo of course! Finally got to run my 602 for a little bit last night so I could test out a new toy. Anyone here ever use a Fiskars splitting axe? that thing goes through wood like a hot knife through butter!IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3605.JPG 2017-06-18_20-14-53_074.jpeg

Maaaan! you guys sure talk a lot! Just caught up with all the posts after being gone island camping in the Adirondack park. All those words and smack talking and not one mention of the only saws that actually count. You guys know which ones... Echo of course! Finally got to run my 602 for a little bit last night so I could test out a new toy. Anyone here ever use a Fiskars splitting axe? that thing goes through wood like a hot knife through butter!View attachment 586523 View attachment 586524 View attachment 586525
I was just thinking yesterday we hadn't heard from you in awhile, I know @Homelitexl903 uses one.

Maaaan! you guys sure talk a lot! Just caught up with all the posts after being gone island camping in the Adirondack park. All those words and smack talking and not one mention of the only saws that actually count. You guys know which ones... Echo of course! Finally got to run my 602 for a little bit last night so I could test out a new toy. Anyone here ever use a Fiskars splitting axe? that thing goes through wood like a hot knife through butter!View attachment 586523 View attachment 586524 View attachment 586525
Sure is a pretty view! I'd go there.

I don't know what it is, but I have never been a fan of the Fiskars axes or anything with those composite handles. Should be said, I don't own any composite handle tools, and only used them a handful of times. Something old-school about the wooden handle tools, then again, I'm pretty old school about many things.

I'm old school too, I like nail guns, air tools, bobcats, exivaters, tractors, log splitters, cars and trucks. I do own a few hammers, shovels, rakes, ratchets, etc, but that done mean I'm got to chose and manuel tool over power, except for my dead blow hammers. I'm not lazy, just tired and almost worn out.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I do own a two year old new composite handle splitting maul but my back hates the dang thang, had no problem with the hatchet or machete. Do they still make a Blackie Collins machete? Mines well balanced and I like the hand guard, good old American made.

Do you know the reason for the hollow composite handles? Strength and weight. It is shatter proof and light weight to reduce fatigue. And, have you ever missed the wood "round" with the axe head and hit the wood with the axe handle. Your hands take all of the punishment. Well, the hollow handle reduces the vibration and that hand pain associated with it. Don't get me wrong, I too love an old axe with the hickory handles. But my aim has gotten a lot better, with lots of practice.

I don't know what it is, but I have never been a fan of the Fiskars axes or anything with those composite handles. Should be said, I don't own any composite handle tools, and only used them a handful of times. Something old-school about the wooden handle tools, then again, I'm pretty old school about many things.
I like wooden handle tools like axes and sledges because of the feel and vintage aspect and you can customize them for your liking. I will say that the Fiskars handle can take an over strike beating and if it does break they send you a new one. The first big tent company I worked at for about 4 years used wooden handle sledge hammers. The owner had a thing for the wooden handles. They had probably 30 sledges and every week at least half a dozen were broken by the new guys over striking the tent stakes. I spent a lot of time putting in new handles and putting fresh coats of red paint on the heads and burning his company name into the handles. He spent a lot of money but it was his call. The next tent company I worked at for over 3 years had the Wilton BASH unbreakable sledges and I never saw a single one break. One got ran over by a truck and had a bend in the handle but didn't break. I recently saw a video by @maul ratt with a Wilton splitting maul they have and I'm thinking about that or the Fiskars Isocore.

It when you are cutting an elm tree and when you get almost 3/4 the way threw, it splits up on ya, scaring the crap out of ya cause you don't know where it's going now. That's splitting wood and staining your drawers at the same time. Wake ya up faster than a cup of hot coffee dumping in your lap.

I like wooden handle tools like axes and sledges because of the feel and vintage aspect and you can customize them for your liking.
That is my main reason why I like the wood handles. Pretty hard to modify the grip on a fiberglass handle. Plus it's only dad and I who use the tools and we are both super nice on them so over-striking and other abusive behavior is kept to a absolute minimum.

I'm old school too, I like nail guns, air tools, bobcats, exivaters, tractors, log splitters, cars and trucks. I do own a few hammers, shovels, rakes, ratchets, etc, but that done mean I'm got to chose and manuel tool over power, except for my dead blow hammers. I'm not lazy, just tired and almost worn out.

Well said! I also like all the fancy equipment also that makes your life easier, but I also like having the previous generation of a tool. Every once and a while, I use it and I regain my immense appreciation for all the design that went into the new tools to make my life easier (most of the time). Unfortunately, where I live currently, I am limited to the manual tools most of the time. No tractors, or bobcats, and using air tools is usually more of a hassle than just using a ratchet.

Dad wanted an elm tree cut down, tree is growing at an angle so I figured it shouldn't be a problem. Over half way in the cut it decided to split, well it didn't take me long to get out of the way. Right when it split it threw my saw out of the cut, scared the crap out of me. Dad hates elm trees.

Latest posts

Back