Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the top of this page I promised Philbert some photos, better late than never.

The various bags of chain parts spread out, this represents about 80% of the part numbers we put in order today.

View attachment 1028435

Depending on the number and type of items, some would fit in the smaller bags and black bins and some needed to go in the bigger blue bins. The repair kits (individual poly bags with presets, drive links, cutters, and tie straps) take up a lot of space. Items like 10 packs of presets and tie straps could be opened up and the contents consolidated.

View attachment 1028434

We did a little checking to make sure there would be room enough for everything.

View attachment 1028436

Everything actually fit quite nicely. I don't know how many pre-packaged "repair kits" for 3/8 Lo Pro are in the big bag but there didn't seem to be any better way to fit them in.

View attachment 1028437

I already had this small parts organizer mostly filled with parts from 1/4" pitch through some 9/16 and 5/8, and the three small parts organizers in the cabinet with a variety of 1/4" through 1/2" McCulloch chain parts.

View attachment 1028438

For the record there are at least three, and maybe four or even five variations in McCulloch 1/2" pitch chain alone. It does get confusing at times.

I even found a few scratcher type LH cutters in .354 pitch. I will try to include a some in the chain & sprocket display I am slowly assembling.

Mark
Words like ‘organized’ and ‘impressive’ do not seem adequate.

Philbert

Since I was going on, I decided to go through the cabinet that had starter handles and miscellaneous starter parts. I owe you a photo of the results.

20221101_104253.jpg

20221101_104258.jpg

I was almost caught up with getting stuff organized when I had to make a trip to Wisconsin this week. Stopped to see Woody Strommen on my way home, Woody was ready to get rid of all his chainsaw and trimmer/blower stuff...now I have to start all over again. There's only 10-15% of NOS parts, the rest is saws, parts saws, and used parts. This will take some time.

20221103_163354.jpg

20221103_163359.jpg

20221103_163420.jpg

At least I didn't blow out any tire or bend and axles on this trip.

Mark

The starter stuff in the base cabinet all in order now. It is amazing how much space you free up and how much easier it is to find everything with some improved organization. I'm sure some of the empty space will get filled with stuff from Woody.

20221104_104938.jpg

Continuing with the organization, I wanted to clear up some clutter before I started going through the things I brought back from Woody's. First off today was the cabinet with sprockets and related items. I started unloading before I took a photo so, some's still in and some's out on the table.

20221104_105725.jpg

20221104_105719.jpg

I have some leftover space here as well as I accumulate more sprockets, bar tips, sprocket washers, and related items.

20221104_163352.jpg

I have a good supply of 3/8 pitch 7 & 8 tooth and .404 pitch 7 & 8 tooth sprockets for the large spline clutches, and several lifetimes supply of .354 pitch 7 tooth sprockets for the small spline clutches. I also uncovered a good number of .404 8 tooth sprockets for the McCulloch gear drive saws.

And finally, the small parts cabinet is the rest of the sprockets, washers, bar adjusters, and related stuff.

20221104_163404.jpg

Mark

I'd suggest widening the scope of the museum to include logging/arborist items. A wider scope means more visitors, meaning more revenue to hopefully make the museum profitable or at least self sustaining.

A few additional items moved into the display.

Titan drill next to the Cox Beaver.

View attachment 1034258

View attachment 1034259

View attachment 1034260

Earth drill A.K.A. earth auger. I was running the saw in the morning, added the gearbox in the afternoon.

View attachment 1034261

View attachment 1034263

Mark
My father in law has a drill similar to the Titan but I think it is a Stihl.He worked for the power company for 38 years . I think he used it for boring light poles to hang the crossbars. The earth auger looks cool ! Be Safe!

Yeah , this was also the time when they still used a clamshell hole digger for guide wire anchors!:rare2: Funny story , when he started the guys told him they would introduce him to Betty .He told them he wasn’t interested because he was happily married. They said don’t worry you’ll get to know her real well. Betty was the clamshell hole digger!:laughing: He got to know her real well!:crazy2:Y'all Be Good and Stay Safe!

Back