VIRGINIA: Everyone survive the tornados?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Reaction score
I was wondering if everyone was okay. There were tornados touching down all over Va/Tenn last night. One hit about 6 miles from me and another about 1 mile.
The damage was very severe. Houses tore down, tractors trailers flung off the interstate. 7 killed in Glade Springs. There were cows in trees. Buildings and barns spread all over the place. I've never seen anything like this. Nothing but rubble spread across the hills.

I went out with the saws to help clean up. Forgot my dang camera. Hopefully I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Just hope everyone is Okay. They were hitting in Greeneville TN also. Pretty much from here to Tennessee.

The hail here was bigger than golfballs and in Bristol Tennessee it was as big a softballs!

Here in Richmond we barely got enough rain last night to wet the ground. Plenty of wind, but no rain. Had a band of showers come through this morning but only got about .07". Had a hard shower around 3:00 this afternoon that gave us another .45".

I am going to my place in Louisa County tomorrow morning to make sure it is okay.

Just posted this on the MAC thread:

East Tennessee Report
I spend several hours in the basement last night with my family, cats and dogs waiting out the multiple tornado warnings. We fared well. Can't say that for all - so far 7 confirmed deaths and others still missing. Law enforcement agencies are doing their best to find folks while trying to keep spectators and thieves out of the area which covers several miles at the base of the mountains.

I am taking the day off tomorrow in answer to a call for big saws. The Sheriff is allowing 7 or 8 of us firewood cutters from the community firewood ministry in to clear roads and help homeowners. Now I know why I ended up with that 125 I didn't want. I put the long bar off the kart saw on it and tested it. It pulls strong. The Toyota is loaded with two 125s (36" and 48"+),two 82cc (both 28"), an orphan 036 Pro (25"), ropes, chains, cant hooks, wedges, PPE, etc. It should be a long but rewarding day tomorrow. I doubt I'll have any pictures as I can't handle a saw and a camera. Those of you who pray, pray for safety as well as peace and comfort for those who have lost family and homes.

Thanks, Ron

PS One of our members, Ripcord, lives in the affected area. He is okay and says he is using his 084 on some big stuff.

I was wondering if everyone was okay. There were tornados touching down all over Va/Tenn last night. One hit about 6 miles from me and another about 1 mile.
The damage was very severe. Houses tore down, tractors trailers flung off the interstate. 7 killed in Glade Springs. There were cows in trees. Buildings and barns spread all over the place. I've never seen anything like this. Nothing but rubble spread across the hills.

I went out with the saws to help clean up. Forgot my dang camera. Hopefully I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Just hope everyone is Okay. They were hitting in Greeneville TN also. Pretty much from here to Tennessee.

The hail here was bigger than golfballs and in Bristol Tennessee it was as big a softballs!

Its good to hear your ok Anthony. I was wanderin about you. That was terrible all the lives lost in and around Johnson City. I still cant believe it man......

Just rain here in Rocky Mount, we are about a hour north of the NC boarder on route 220. I seen in the paper that there were 284 confirmed deaths, 162 in Alabama alone. I do have a uncle in Pulaski, were the two tornadoes went through about a week ago, but he managed to skirt any damages.

Its good to hear your ok Anthony. I was wanderin about you. That was terrible all the lives lost in and around Johnson City. I still cant believe it man......

Thank you buddy. I'm still here.

The one that hit closest was literally a 45 second drive from my house! Just right over the mountain from me.

It hit about 1 last night. The power went out and I could hear the tornado. It sounded like a train.

My mom called just as the power went out saying that a tornado touched down on HWY 107, which is the highway I live on. 45 seconds down the highway, all hell was breaking loose.

I have yet to go see the damage in Glade Springs. It's about an 8 minute drive from me.

And the lightning was even stranger. I've never seen any lightning like that. Never even a second between flashes. It was just like it was daylight.

My cousin lives in Bristol and the hail destoryed her minivan and house. Said the hail busted holes through the roof and sides of here house. Softballs falling from the sky. I've never seen hail like that. It dinged our roofs up a little, but there was just a few big ones fell. These here were golfball at biggest, which are still the biggest I've ever seen in person.

It just blows my mind to see what a tornado can do first hand.

Last edited:
Thank you buddy. I'm still here.

The one that hit closest was literally a 45 second drive from my house! Just right over the mountain from me.

It hit about 1 last night. The power went out and I could hear the tornado. It sounded like a train.

My mom called just as the power went out saying that a tornado touched down on HWY 107, which is the highway I live on. 45 seconds down the highway, all hell was breaking loose.

I have yet to go see the damage in Glade Springs. It's about an 8 minute drive from me.

And the lightning was even stranger. I've never seen any lightning like that. Never even a second between flashes. It was just like it was daylight.

My cousin lives in Bristol and the hail destoryed her minivan and house. Said the hail busted holes through the roof and sides of here house. Softballs falling from the sky. I've never seen hail like that. It dinged our roofs up a little, but there was just a few big ones fell. These here were golfball at biggest, which are still the biggest I've ever seen in person.

It just blows my mind to see what a tornado can do first hand.

Yeah, the hail was unbelievable. I have some pics of it on facebook and some of it was as big or bigger than golfballs. Ive never saw it that bad before in my life.

What would really hurt is being outside in that kind of hail... :dizzy:

I've been hit by hail about the size of marbles before, and it hurts like hell.

God bless all that are dealing with the damage and losses of loved ones. I couldn't imagine what it is like to be there.

We had plenty of rain and some flash floods up here in the mountains, but not really much wind damage. Glad to hear you are ok.

just two bad t-storms and tornado warnings 3:00am and 4:00am here in Winchester

Just got back from checking on my property in Louisa County and everything was fine, not even a downed tree branch to deal with. I was a bit worried as there was a small tornado that touched down one exit east of me on the interstate.

Everything is good here in Roanoke however to our west in Chilhowie they didn't do so well. 4 dead there.

My wife/kids were in east TN(Gatlenburg/Pigeon Forge) during the outbreak and had a couple of scary moments. They also got cought up in the traffic jamb on I-81 at the Chilhowie tornado.

Here is some areal video of Chilhowie. Just clicky!

Just rain here in Rocky Mount, we are about a hour north of the NC boarder on route 220. I seen in the paper that there were 284 confirmed deaths, 162 in Alabama alone. I do have a uncle in Pulaski, were the two tornadoes went through about a week ago, but he managed to skirt any damages.

Hey man, I been meanin to ask ya, you bein from roanoke and all, you dont know JJ Red#### do ya?

Back