VT climbing hitch....using 4 wraps and two braids. Anyone else use this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeandLand

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently was having trouble advancing my VT hitch when I tied it with the normal 4 wraps, 3 braids, using a Yale 10mm beeline split tail, 30 inches long. It takes too much force to advance and is hard on my shoulder. When I use a 8mm split tail, it advances fine. I'm using 1/2 inch climbing line.
So I've climbed a couple times with the 4 wraps 2 braids VT, and it advances much easier. I'm still cautious about it though, and not sure I trust it in the most demanding situations. What are your experiences with this?

Perhaps I'm a bit obtuse before my third cup of wakeup coffee, but, isn't a VT tied with an eye to eye prussick and not a split tail?

Yes, I do tie it with an eye to eye prussic. In my mind a prussic is one type of split tail. The matter I want to discuss is the difference between the way two braids perform versus three braids.

Yes, I do tie it with an eye to eye prussic. In my mind a prussic is one type of split tail. The matter I want to discuss is the difference between the way two braids perform versus three braids.

There's no set method of tying a VT. Mine differs based on how new or dirty my tress cord or climbline is. The trick is to figure out what works best for your setup. This must be done on your own. If you can't alter your wraps and braids to confidently find the appropriate one for your specific setup you should probably stick with beginner knots like the Blakes or Tautline.

For higher climbs I use safety blue with an ice tail 5/16 prusik, sometimes 5/16 beeline. True Blue with tenex 3/8 prusick for lower climbs. A couple days ago I used the safety blue with the ice tail, four wraps, two braids, as I recall. Both rope and prusick have a couple dozen climbs on them. When they were new and slippery I preferred a distel hitch before going to three braids, of course that was with the beeline. Whatever setup I have, I have to make adjustments, depending on the wear on the rope and the age of the prusick. Many variables come into play. One must adapt.

I climb on poison ivy and when I use my 8mm Bee Line with a VT I use 3+3 or 4+2 and if I use 5/16 Tech Cord I use 6+1. It all depends if you are DRT or SRT and the prussic/rope combo and your weight....I have also used Magic 1/2" split tail tied with a Blakes Hitch with the Poison Ivy and it is larger diameter than the Ivy which does not agree with the standard practice of the hitch cord should be 2-3mm smaller than the rope. I have used this combo since 07 without any issue. I weigh 200-205. Also it is not a set rule with the VT to alternate the braids top and bottom or same leg always on the bottom or top when they cross. Just be sure you test it and keep testing it low and slow and fast and soft and hard until you are sure it performs as you intend. Then climb safe!

Scrat

prussic cord wear

For higher climbs I use safety blue with an ice tail 5/16 prusik, sometimes 5/16 beeline. True Blue with tenex 3/8 prusick for lower climbs. A couple days ago I used the safety blue with the ice tail, four wraps, two braids, as I recall. Both rope and prusick have a couple dozen climbs on them. When they were new and slippery I preferred a distel hitch before going to three braids, of course that was with the beeline. Whatever setup I have, I have to make adjustments, depending on the wear on the rope and the age of the prusick. Many variables come into play. One must adapt.

Sounds like good advice- thanks. I've decided I like the 8mm cord versus the 10mm, but I think I can use the 10mm with the 4+2 setup. I just have to put in some more climbs until I get used to it.
Another question is how do you decide when a prussic cord is beat and should be retired? Sometimes I think a cord has had it, but then I look at it again and it doesn't look bad. I re-tie my hitch before every climb so that is wears evenly. The "check for signs of abrasion" rule doesn't help, because you can see wear from abrasion after just a few climbs.

Sounds like good advice- thanks. I've decided I like the 8mm cord versus the 10mm, but I think I can use the 10mm with the 4+2 setup. I just have to put in some more climbs until I get used to it.
Another question is how do you decide when a prussic cord is beat and should be retired? Sometimes I think a cord has had it, but then I look at it again and it doesn't look bad. I re-tie my hitch before every climb so that is wears evenly. The "check for signs of abrasion" rule doesn't help, because you can see wear from abrasion after just a few climbs.

If you have a doubt of the wear (condition) of your prussic just change it, you hang your life on it. A funeral costs more than a 30 dollar prussic.

Latest posts

Back