Vt twisting velocity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRecurve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am using a 50 meter length of velocity, and when I descend, the vt twists the rope up so bad that I get big tangled messes that I have to stop and sort out on the way down. I lead the rope into the pulley with my spare hand as I come down, and this relieves the problem only marginally.

My questions are -
If I use a smaller dia line for the hitch (currently using blaze) would this reduce the issue?

How about a different hitch, such as a knut, icicle or martins?

Any advice on this would be fantastic as its really giving me the ????es.

Cheers, Mr.

TreeCo, I had thought about that, however when I was taught the VT, it was explained to me that the same leg had to be in contact throughout the hitch. Does varying the wrap effect performance in anyway?

i think the operative part of the braids is the gauntlet of bends it places the lifeline thru like a rappelling rack, before the 4 turns that constitute the coil. So Treeco's tip works to not twist lifeline, but you won't fall; no matter which braid is on top; as long as we have the preceding gauntlet of bends buffering the loading to the coil.

The rest of the now popular/ "newer" hitches that you connect to both legs of; have the same top coil, and some version of a Half Hitch preceding instead of gauntlet of bends. The Half Hitch preceding strategy similarly buffers the loading to the coil. The gauntlet or Half Hitch preceder both offer a 2nd mechanic of grab along with the coil; as they buffer loading to the coil, the buffering keeps the coil from seizing.

These are the operatives to be maintained. The variety in the non-VT hitches of this crossing over that etc. further bears out the changes that can be made; as long as the mechanics are maintained.

No matter how I tie any of these coil hitches, I will get some hockling of the trialing end of the line. Just as it will when running over a bollard.

On desent, I will keep my bottom hand in a rappel break position and flake the rope every so often.

This helps with hockling and reduces friction heat in the hitch.

I find the smaller diameter braid (8mm) prussic causes your rope to twist more. But it is most definatly in the way you tie it, even though with the VT i dont think its possible to control ALL the twist caused by the prussic.

Well guys, after much experimentation with other hitches and differing configurations of the vt, I have switched over to the knut.

I cant believe I never really tried this hitch before! Its just as smooth as the vt, but with almost zero hockling of the line and the knut also has a much shorter throw than the vt, making it more effecient.

So thanks for the advice everybody, problem solved, at least for the time being.

Elmnut, I am right handed, why do you ask?

Back