Walbro Float Diaphram Orientation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BusyBeaver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm having a flooding problem on my Stihl 028 Super. I put a kit in the carburetor and must have screwed something up. I know the needle is key to flooding and am checking it. The diaphram that presses on it has a metal "tit" on one side and is basically flush on the other. Which side goes down to press on the needle lifter? Thanks.
BB

I'm about to give up. I installed the diaphram the correct way and lowered the lifter tab below flush. It still floods badly, fills the cylinder in just a few pull.
So I took it apart and lowered the lifter arm to .030" below flush and it still flooded just as bad. Anyone want to buy an old Stihl Super? I'm shopping.
BB

You verified there is nothing blocking the seat and the tip of the needle is intact?

I'd clean the carb again and as stated above... verify the needle seat is a nice sharp point or it won't seal. Take the carb and apply just under 10psi to the fuel inlet and submerge the carb under water to see if its leaking. The needle lifts at 10psi, if its leaking by you'll see the bubbles.... the cause of it flooding possibly.

Make sure you have replaced the fuel diaphfram on the carb bottom with the right one. If not the right one it will flood. Also put the diaphram on carb then gasket.

Make sure you have replaced the fuel diaphfram on the carb bottom with the right one. If not the right one it will flood. Also put the diaphram on carb then gasket.

That may be it. The kit came with several extra parts and maybe I chose the wrong one. I used one that had two flaps that covered two holes. How do I know which? The kit I used was K-10, WAT.
Thanks,
BB

Follow up thanks. I had the wrong diaphragm on the carb. I got the right one and saw is starting up and running like new.
I apologize for my dumb mistake, and thank you for your tolerance and guidance.
BBeaver

Good discussion here. I have the same problem with my 028 super. Now I know what to check next. Thanks everyone!

Good discussion here. I have the same problem with my 028 super. Now I know what to check next. Thanks everyone!
Your 028 floods also? Have you rebuilt the carb? Did you pressure check the carb to make sure it's sealing to 10lbs?

Your 028 floods also? Have you rebuilt the carb? Did you pressure check the carb to make sure it's sealing to 10lbs?
I just rebuilt the carb. I'm going to disassemble it again and check the metering lever, the tip of the new needle and the gaskets. After that, I plan to pressure test it. My carb kit has a blue tinted and transparent gasket which I've never seen before.

I just rebuilt the carb. I'm going to disassemble it again and check the metering lever, the tip of the new needle and the gaskets. After that, I plan to pressure test it. My carb kit has a blue tinted and transparent gasket which I've never seen before.

As a follow up to this, I did some more checking. Everything looked good and in their right places but it still flooded. I decided to put the old metering lever and old needle back in. Guess what, it runs very good now. Go figure...
I used a Walbro brand kit by the way. Same as listed by the OP.

Back