Walbro type MB Coil problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckybud

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Posted this on handheld forum, but thought it might get more views here.

Husky 326 ls with a brand new coil from dealer fires even with a ground between kill lug and mounting bolt. Has anyone seen anything like this?

The old coil had no fire even with the kill wire disconnected so put a new one on and now have fire but cannot shut it off. I have done away with the kill switch completely and have a jumper from the kill lug on the coil straight to the mounting bolt and it still fires. I have 2 new coils and they both act the same. I think I have 2 defective coils but cannot be sure, dealer says I am doing something wrong. Help!!!!

duckybud

14 views and nobody has heard of this, makes me feel kind of special. Please guys a little help here. I also have a husky T540 that is doing the same thing but being autotune I can't put a dead ground on it as all coil leads are sealed into the coil. I have put a ground on the first connector from the coil and it too still fires.

duckybud

If the coil is not grounding out it is defective, not much can be done about that. If you have made sure the coil ground out wire is actually grounding out to good clean metal then there is not much more that can be done to kill the spark from running up the high tension wire to the plug. Short of pulling the plug boot off the plug end to stop the engine.

Thanks pioneerguy,
That is what I was thinking but was thinking, but hoped I had overlooked something. By the way, I am sure the ground out lead is grounded, it is bolted to one of the coil mounting bolts.

duckybud

backhoe,
There is no plug involved at this point, I have fire to a known good tester, no matter what is done with coil.

duckybud

Update:
Fixed the problem, turns out the tester used was a little too sensitive. I had not tried to kill the saw after putting in the new coil but was using the tester to make sure the kill system was working. After checking a working saw and getting the same results, I put the rest of the saw together and tried the kill which worked fine. I will try to post the name of the tester when I get back to the shop.

Thanks for the help.

duckybud

Back