walking floor trailer and firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
do any of you guys know or heard of anyone hauling firewood in a 48' trailer with a walking floor, I'm asking this because somebody asked if I could produce and deliver approximately 400-500 face cords of firewood and the only way I see getting this much wood delivered in a timely matter is with a 48' walking floor trailer but I don't know any body who ever did it without the wood being on a pallet. I don't like the idea of the wood getting hung up inside the trailer as 40 face cord would take awhile to unload by hand.

Last edited:
No matter how you do it, it's a LOT of work!
Around here they call them "Live decks" so if you are calling and nobody knows what you are talking about try that.
You will also need to have good idea of the weight of the wood and what the truck is rated for. I seriously doubt you can stuff a semi trailer full of wood and make weight!

Just trying some of my hard earned lessons!

No matter how you do it, it's a LOT of work!
Around here they call them "Live decks" so if you are calling and nobody knows what you are talking about try that.
You will also need to have good idea of the weight of the wood and what the truck is rated for. I seriously doubt you can stuff a semi trailer full of wood and make weight!

Just trying some of my hard earned lessons!

I ment face cord or 1/3 cord

I ment face cord or 1/3 cord

I know, I read that, but it still adds up fast! Go to a COOP or somewhere that has a scale (grainyard, gravel pit etc.) and weigh your truck empty, throw a face cord in and weigh it again.
I think you will be quite supprised what it weighs! I want to say Oak was 1200-1600 pounds a face? I may be over on that, it's been a while.

I can tell you they way overload those things here in Michigan. The weigh masters love em. But I do not know how well they would do with firewood. I would be worried that the weight of the wood against the sides of the trailer would keep it from walking out. I have had to dig out a lot of trash haulers with a excavator where the load would not walk out. And almost as many where it would blow the hoses. Hopefully someone that has used them for firewood will tell if it works. Most of the landfills around here are using tipping stations now a lot less problems with them. I have had to set up a few 100 yard dump boxes that have flipped over too:cheers:

Billy

At a large nursery/landscape supply center near my place they get large quantities of wood in bulk and it comes on a semi but in a dump trailer. The kind used for demo work real heavy duty. I don't have an idea of how many cords they bring in at a time but the trailers are definatley not full as far as volume goes.

I think a walking floor trailer would work good with firewood. I've seen them haul everything from stringbeans to cabbage. The only problem I see is when it's about empty. They carry a 2x6 plank that is as long as the truck is wide with them. When the truck is about empty, they thow the plank up in the front. And they stand on the plank and ride it down the lenght of the truck. The plank pushes out everthing that was left in the truck.

Latest posts

Back