Wallenstein WP830 - Opinions PLEASE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a Wallenstein 520 splitter and a Wallenstein grapple on my Masey 1528. I,ve owned them for a few years and I think they are very well designed. The quality is excellent. Mine came from a dealer in Pa. The 830 your looking at will last many years. :greenchainsaw:

Hard to say without seeing one in person. Have you got a price one one ?? I like that it is fairly simple...... looks to be designed with more of a home owner in mind, versus production firewood by a firewood seller. Looks to me that a conveyor of some sort is in order...... hard to imagine the splits wanting to push the splits up hill. If it were mine, i'd be looking to add some type of hydraulic saw rather than cut on it with a chainsaw..... but i suppose that could get expensive. I suspect the amount of good reviews it will get will depend heavily on the price of the rig. I had a Wallenstein chipper, and generally i think they make pretty nice stuff.

I think they are new this fall. I got to check one out at a farm show, like all Wallenstein equipment the build quality is excellent, I'm not sure of the pricing but am curious also.

Not sure of the model, but a buddy just picked up a new Wallenstien splitter...worked fabulous on some slippery elm, construction is excellent.

The price <$10k is what interest me since all my operations is solo I thought this might not be a bad price/processor for someone like me. The issue is no customer comments and evaluations to compare.

I had orginally decided on a Timberwolf TW5 Splitter http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_splitters/default.asp?id=10
and then I saw this. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help/post.

Wallenstein WP 830

I have owned my WP 830 for 7 months now and I love it I have ran about 20 cords through it and it is an exceptionally well built machine that is very strong ( I havent put anything in it that has stopped it yet) the pump is a bit noisy but you get used to it and for most of the wood I split I have to run the pieces thru several times so they are small enough for my customers wives to handle. I bought an old hay bale elevator and did a few mods and that is the only way to go because once the wood is split you dont have to handle it again and it will make a pile 12' or higher. 1 thing I dont like about it is the cross wedge has a lot of play and often it raises when a tough piece of wood goes thru it and it stays in that higher position ( it could really use a hydraulic wedge control) and finally it could also use a pipe rack type table like the TW so all the small crap and dirt can fall thru so it doesnt go up the elevator and onto the pile .I would definitely reccomend this machine . Thumbs Up!

Jimmy sounds great I would like to see some pictures if possiable. I just like to window shop its all I can afford right at the moument Thanks inadvance :rock:

I would think that having to split the bigger stuff more than once would slow it down to the point where it really isn't cost effective. Would like to hear how fast you can process a cord of wood where say about half of it needs to be split more than once.

Jimmy sounds great I would like to see some pictures if possible. I just like to window shop its all I can afford right at the moment. Thanks in advance :rock:

Here's a video on the WP830.
Wallenstein Wood Processor - YouTube

The Hudson Wolverine Model M is basically the same as the WP830 without the conveyor. But it's only around $7300. Here's a video on it. Firewood Processor Wolverine Hud-Son Process Wood - YouTube

Neither of these units comes with any kind of saw so you must use any chain saw you want. I kind of like this feature as it's one less thing to go hay-wire. You can always switch to another saw if one craps out. Not so easy if the saw were integrated into the machine.

Hope this helps.

Don <><

Thank you for posting the videos I was more interested in his specific setup Thanks at any rate Have some Rep

Last edited:
Not sure of the model, but a buddy just picked up a new Wallenstien splitter...worked fabulous on some slippery elm, construction is excellent.

hard to believe this thread is this old....my bud's Wallenstien is still going strong, absolutly no problems.

Jrider
Big stuff that needs multiple splits will probably take 2 hours for a cord but 1 thing I didnt mention in my last thread was that all the work is done at waist level so there is minimal bending over (only to attatch the winch line to the logs) you dont have any of the picking up 1/2 blocks after they have gone thru the wedge I have ran this machine for 6-7 hours without any back pain whereas 2-3 hours on my conventionental splitter had me soaking in the hot tub afterwards. right now one of my biggest problems is all the debris goes onto the conveyor and up onto the pile making the wood real dirty.And the other is loading, even though I have a 31 HP Kubota with a 1500 Lb. lift I cannot come up with a real effecient method for loading up when I have a delivery to make any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jrider
Big stuff that needs multiple splits will probably take 2 hours for a cord but 1 thing I didnt mention in my last thread was that all the work is done at waist level so there is minimal bending over (only to attatch the winch line to the logs) you dont have any of the picking up 1/2 blocks after they have gone thru the wedge I have ran this machine for 6-7 hours without any back pain whereas 2-3 hours on my conventionental splitter had me soaking in the hot tub afterwards. right now one of my biggest problems is all the debris goes onto the conveyor and up onto the pile making the wood real dirty.And the other is loading, even though I have a 31 HP Kubota with a 1500 Lb. lift I cannot come up with a real effecient method for loading up when I have a delivery to make any help would be greatly appreciated.

No suggestions on loading...I just do it all by hand. I usually sell 60-70 cords a year. Truck holds 2 full cords - takes me 40 minutes to load by myself...don't really like loading 2 at a time but I like the money when I hit the button to dump it.

Rarefish
Yea the Tempest is cool and really like the fact that it splits both ways but you still have all the bending over to put the smaller blocks on the table and cuttting up the individual pieces and all the handling of the pieces whereas with the 830 you bring in the logs winch them into the throat make a cut, split and they go up the conveyor, no handling and minimal bending over , I guess if your in your 20's the bending over part dont matter but @ 55 I'm looking to do things with the least amount of physical labor and I know theres gonna to be someone out there thats gonna say if you dont want labor whadda you doin in the wood biz? but I just love bein out there in the cold on a winter day its an amazin cure for cabin fever.

Did someone out there say they load 2 cords in 40 minutes by hand? I am assuming you are talking about 2 face cords.

I am working on gettin some pics up as soon as I can figure out how

Rarefish
Yea the Tempest is cool and really like the fact that it splits both ways but you still have all the bending over to put the smaller blocks on the table and cuttting up the individual pieces and all the handling of the pieces whereas with the 830 you bring in the logs winch them into the throat make a cut, split and they go up the conveyor, no handling and minimal bending over , I guess if your in your 20's the bending over part dont matter but @ 55 I'm looking to do things with the least amount of physical labor and I know theres gonna to be someone out there thats gonna say if you dont want labor whadda you doin in the wood biz? but I just love bein out there in the cold on a winter day its an amazin cure for cabin fever.

Did someone out there say they load 2 cords in 40 minutes by hand? I am assuming you are talking about 2 face cords.

I am working on gettin some pics up as soon as I can figure out how

No face cords, real cords...but I am only 35. Have a 12' stakebody I can just throw it into. When its cold I do 1 cord in 16 minutes but can't keep that pace up for 2!

Back