Wallenstein WP830 - Opinions PLEASE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrider
lets see 550-600 pieces per cord x2 = 1100 pieces in 40 minutes thats an average of 27.5 pieces for 40 straight minutes. if I could load that fast I wouldnt be looking for a better way to load. do you sell alot of 2 cord loads or do you just throw off the first one and dump the 2nd when you arrive at that location? are you in the tree biz or is this a side biz like me?

Jrider
lets see 550-600 pieces per cord x2 = 1100 pieces in 40 minutes thats an average of 27.5 pieces for 40 straight minutes. if I could load that fast I wouldnt be looking for a better way to load. do you sell alot of 2 cord loads or do you just throw off the first one and dump the 2nd when you arrive at that location? are you in the tree biz or is this a side biz like me?

Just something I do on the side. I generally sell 60-70 full cords a year. This year I sold 62 cords from 10/15-12/11 and kept 8 for myself and my mom. I would say close to half of what I sold were 2 cord deliveries and I did some where I put 2 cords on for 2 different drop offs. You are right on the money with your count too. Before I had my dump I used my pickup truck and a truck body turned trailer to deliver. Had to stack it all in there and out of boredom, I used to count the pieces.

Jrider
62 cords as a side biz that should make for a good mad money account. whadda ya have 4 help? I take it yer usin a regular splitter n I hope ya got a young farm boy doin most of the bull work where ya located? Im in Southeastern Pa. where do ya get yer wood?

Jrider
62 cords as a side biz that should make for a good mad money account. whadda ya have 4 help? I take it yer usin a regular splitter n I hope ya got a young farm boy doin most of the bull work where ya located? Im in Southeastern Pa. where do ya get yer wood?

I do 90% of the work on my own. I am a teacher and have the summer and breaks to work on it. I do hire highschool kids sometimes to help with the grunt work but they can't keep up. I have an Iron and Oak splitter with a 4 way wedge. I can split a cord in about an hour and 20 minutes unless its really big or knotty. I am in south Jersey - Burlington County and know a lot of the local farmers. They are always looking to cut back the trees along their fields or just clear some land. I usually can borrow their equipment and load 12-14 foot logs on their dump trucks and bring them to my mom's farm. I have a John Deere with forks on it capable of lifting logs up to about 1500 pounds. I pick up the logs, move them to where I want, hold them waist high and then cut like that. Am pretty lucky to have the hook ups and the equipment. Cut and split 70+ cords each year for the last 3 years. Only did 25-40 a year before that because I didn't have the equipment. I keep busy with it but the second it starts to feel like a job, I stop working go home and have some beers.

Jrider
I like the farm connection I live in southern Chester co and there is a lot of farmland out here and I've asked a few farmers last year and did manage to get a few cords of locust/ cherry I guess I should have worked harder at approaching different farmers . Do you use a conveyor or throw every piece after its split? I've heard a lot of good things about I & O Splitters how do you like yours? I would guess a lot if you are able to do a cord in 11/2 hrs.

Jrider
Thanks for the link, I will check it out I'm always looking for ways to improve my operation

Jrider
I like the farm connection I live in southern Chester co and there is a lot of farmland out here and I've asked a few farmers last year and did manage to get a few cords of locust/ cherry I guess I should have worked harder at approaching different farmers . Do you use a conveyor or throw every piece after its split? I've heard a lot of good things about I & O Splitters how do you like yours? I would guess a lot if you are able to do a cord in 11/2 hrs.

I grew up in the area and my family has been friends with most of them his whole life and at this point they all know I am always looking for wood.
I would like a conveyor but haven't found one at a good enough cost to justify it. The way I see it, I am right on the edge of keeping my operation this size or bumping it up a notch or two by investing money into some more serious equipment. I am happy with what I'm doing so I figure I will stay with what I have.
I like my I & O, have split about 275 cords with it in the 4+ years I have owned it. Had to replace one control valve and have just recently busted a few bolts that hold the 4 way in place.

I throw the wood in piles about 8 feet high, 15-18 wide and about 100 feet long.

Jrider
You are very lucky to have those connections and also wise to capitilize on them. I dont know if you can wear out your elbows or shoulders but I think that might be a consideration. if you were to use a conveyor I
dont think you'd go back. I bought an old haybale elevator that I found in the Lancaster farming paper did some mods. put an old Honda with reduction on and for less than a G I got a very useful piece of
equipment. One benefit of your method is you dont have to deal with the dirt and small chips getting in your wood pile and I would imagine your splitter has a grate. And BTW I couldn't open that link you sent but I
am curious to see it.

Rarefish
Yea the Tempest is cool and really like the fact that it splits both ways but you still have all the bending over to put the smaller blocks on the table and cutting up the individual pieces and all the handling of the pieces whereas with the 830 you bring in the logs winch them into the throat make a cut, split and they go up the conveyor, no handling and minimal bending over.

I totally agree with ya Jimmyrup. I hear some guys claim that they can beat one of these wood processing machines with a good wood splitter like a Timberwolf. NO WAY. All that bucking and lifting takes time with ANY conventional splitter. Even if it has a log lift, ya still gotta do the bucking and transport the rounds.

Two things to consider though.

1st: ya gotta start with logs. For me that would mean buying them. I get my wood from the Nicolet National Forest with a $20 permit. Their rules require me to not have any pieces over 4 feet long in my truck. In other words, I gotta buck the trees in the forest, and load the individual rounds in my truck.

2nd: While I sure would like to have a firewood processor, it's just not cost effective for someone like me who only makes firewood for themselves. Having said this, if I were gonna buy a new splitter for say $2500, then I'd sooner spend an extra 5 grand and get the Hudson Wolverine Model "M-10-13".

[video=youtube;2Q4T20lNXj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4T20lNXj0[/video]

It works just like the Wallenstein WP830 and it's only $7345 Wolverine Firewood Processor

I can buy hardwood logs for $85 a cord delivered. I figure it cost me $30 a cord to go out and get my own wood. And we all know how much work is involved in that. So at 66 years old, I might just spring for the Hudson Wolverine, so I can make it to 96.

Don <><

attachment.php

Jrider
You are very lucky to have those connections and also wise to capitilize on them. I dont know if you can wear out your elbows or shoulders but I think that might be a consideration. if you were to use a conveyor I
dont think you'd go back. I bought an old haybale elevator that I found in the Lancaster farming paper did some mods. put an old Honda with reduction on and for less than a G I got a very useful piece of
equipment. One benefit of your method is you dont have to deal with the dirt and small chips getting in your wood pile and I would imagine your splitter has a grate. And BTW I couldn't open that link you sent but I
am curious to see it.

I am not the handiest guy in the world, so unless it runs and will fit my application it will probably be more aggravation than its worth to me. My firewood is very clean and have been complimented on it many times by customers. Don't know why you can't open the pic. I posted it from home and can open it on my work computer...nothing special really, just a small portion of this fall's wood pile.

Wallenstein WP 830

Jrider I sure know what your talking about with aggravation I certainly went through plenty while converting my elevator but I must say it was way worth it. If your selling 50 cords that means your throwing around 28,000 pieces a year just to put them on the pile now if you are delivering them add another 28k Im thinking those body parts gotta show some signs of wear sooner or later. What do you think is the biggest factor in your wood being so clean? I would love to get that compliment from my customers and I know that would be a huge factor in retaining customers. My mistake the att. I said I couldnt open was from another member and I didnt realize that til I hit the send button. And BTW thats a real nice looking pile

Wallenstein WP 830

I just saw this video, and they have a really simple system for dealing with the debris off the conveyor. Maybe it will help you?

Rex 900 Fire Wood Processor - YouTube

Thanks Millwannabe I just checked it out and it looked simple and I love SIMPLE I am going to start by replacing my solid log table to a grate style and if that dont work then I will add a grate to the end of my conveyor

Wallenstein WP 830

I totally agree with ya Jimmyrup. I hear some guys claim that they can beat one of these wood processing machines with a good wood splitter like a Timberwolf. NO WAY. All that bucking and lifting takes time with ANY conventional splitter. Even if it has a log lift, ya still gotta do the bucking and transport the rounds.

Two things to consider though.

1st: ya gotta start with logs. For me that would mean buying them. I get my wood from the Nicolet National Forest with a $20 permit. Their rules require me to not have any pieces over 4 feet long in my truck. In other words, I gotta buck the trees in the forest, and load the individual rounds in my truck.

2nd: While I sure would like to have a firewood processor, it's just not cost effective for someone like me who only makes firewood for themselves. Having said this, if I were gonna buy a new splitter for say $2500, then I'd sooner spend an extra 5 grand and get the Hudson Wolverine Model "M-10-13".

[video=youtube;2Q4T20lNXj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4T20lNXj0[/video]

It works just like the Wallenstein WP830 and it's only $7345 Wolverine Firewood Processor

I can buy hardwood logs for $85 a cord delivered. I figure it cost me $30 a cord to go out and get my own wood. And we all know how much work is involved in that. So at 66 years old, I might just spring for the Hudson Wolverine, so I can make it to 96.

Don <><

attachment.php

Genesis I hope you make it to 96 and have lots of fun along the way! If you get the wolverine or a similar processor you will not want to stop running it the machine really makes splitting fun . Just look at how much you might save if you dont have to get a back operation if you look at it that way the processor is free

Jrider I sure know what your talking about with aggravation I certainly went through plenty while converting my elevator but I must say it was way worth it. If your selling 50 cords that means your throwing around 28,000 pieces a year just to put them on the pile now if you are delivering them add another 28k Im thinking those body parts gotta show some signs of wear sooner or later. What do you think is the biggest factor in your wood being so clean? I would love to get that compliment from my customers and I know that would be a huge factor in retaining customers. My mistake the att. I said I couldnt open was from another member and I didnt realize that til I hit the send button. And BTW thats a real nice looking pile

Its clean basically because it is handled by hand from splitter to the pile and then from the pile to the truck. So far, the body is holding up but I hear you on me breaking down at some point...only 35 now don't know how long I plan on keeping up the pace. Also, logs are very rarely dragged through the dirt. I have a John Deere with forks to pick them up.

Wallenstein WP 830

Its clean basically because it is handled by hand from splitter to the pile and then from the pile to the truck. So far, the body is holding up but I hear you on me breaking down at some point...only 35 now don't know how long I plan on keeping up the pace. Also, logs are very rarely dragged through the dirt. I have a John Deere with forks to pick them up.

Jrider Yea I have a Kubota L3130 4wd with 1500 Lb. lift and grapple (Great attatchment) I think alot of the dirt /debris comes from dead wood and sometimes logs will rot inside and when split that stuff makes its way onto the pile then when it rains all that stuff sticks to the wood
I gather from one of your earlier posts that you sold out back in Dec. How do you advertise and what percent is repeat customers. and how much do you spend on truck tags and Insurance?

Jrider Yea I have a Kubota L3130 4wd with 1500 Lb. lift and grapple (Great attatchment) I think alot of the dirt /debris comes from dead wood and sometimes logs will rot inside and when split that stuff makes its way onto the pile then when it rains all that stuff sticks to the wood
I gather from one of your earlier posts that you sold out back in Dec. How do you advertise and what percent is repeat customers. and how much do you spend on truck tags and Insurance?

5-6 years ago I sold a lot of wood through Craigslist, now I barely have to advertise as I have kept a lot of those customers. People started calling in late August but I pushed those deliveries back to mid Oct....don't know why, I just don't like to deliver that early. Maybe because I'm loading by hand and its still too damn warm?? Got my
12' stakebody off Craigslist for $4500 and had to fix one busted motor mount (when I say fix, I mean pay my friend to do it) Cost me $350. I have it listed as a farm vehicle so tags and insurance are minimal...covered by the first 2-2.5 cords of wood I deliver each year.

Wallenstein WP 830

Jrider
So Craigslist was really that effective? Are you not selling now cause all yer wood is just cut and yer stockin up for next year? Do you have any problems with mold on the bottom of yer pile

Jrider
So Craigslist was really that effective? Are you not selling now cause all yer wood is just cut and yer stockin up for next year? Do you have any problems with mold on the bottom of yer pile

I am all sold out of seasoned wood. I have some that is questionable as far as seasoning is going but its not going to go bad or anything and to preserve my good name in firewood I will just wait to sell it next year. I have never had an issue with mold and actually never even heard of guys having that problem until I started visiting this site. All wood sits out in a field where it gets lots of hot Jersey sun and wind.
And yes, CL works quite well provided you aren't some hack trying to rip people off. I use a nice detailed write up about species of wood, cut length, time seasoned etc. You do get some idiots who try to get wood for next to nothing but I stand my ground and let my product do the talking. Word spreads when someone finds a seller who delivers a true cord of seasoned clean wood.

Jrider
I store all my wood on pallets and moved my pile to the top of the hill and it seems I have a lot less mold than last yr when the pile was at bottom of hill where there is less wind I just figured there was so much mold cause at the bottom of a 25ft diameter x 12 ft high pile there wasn't any air movement down there. You are the second person that said Craigslist worked well for them I am going to put a listing in tonite. Whadda ya gettin fer a cord these days ? I'm sellin fer $180.

Back