walnut crotch as good as it gets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you listen to a piece like that every now and then eventually it will tell you what it wants to be!

I put my more exquisite pieces on the side and wait to see how they team up with other wood around the shop before I decide to put it together to see what comes up. I think all wood workers would agree with your post Bob. :clap: It takes some listening to your wood to make it the best it can be. I don't think ws will have to listen to hard to that piece, she's a screamer. :laugh:

I would have cut it thicker, and "properly" laid out some gunstocks... I could sell them for BIG bucks... Everyone "thinks" they have gunstock material, you really do, or should i say "did"...

I Anchorseal all the end grain and all figured wood, and they dry slow enough to not get all cracked up...

Nice pict., thanks for posting it...

Rob

I would have cut it thicker, and "properly" laid out some gunstocks... I could sell them for BIG bucks... Everyone "thinks" they have gunstock material, you really do, or should i say "did"...

Actually Sawyer Bob... I still do. I had only gotten about 2/3 way down the cant of that thing milling it with the Ripsaw when I had broken a blade (think I had the tension too high). Thus 6 inches (thick) of that crotch cant is still intact. It was getting late, so I just pulled the Ripsaw blade out of it and "walked" that last 6x13x40 chunk back to the van and hauled it home. I have yet to slice it up any further. Gunstock material wasn't on the agenda though. IF the rest of it is still that nice, you think gunstock blanks would fetch a good price? Give me some ball park numbers, as I don't know much about that market.

As I have said before, "want my address"? I would use it.
Send back a pic or two also.....keep up the great work and pics.

Kevin

Ruff Cutts

Actually Sawyer Bob... I still do. I had only gotten about 2/3 way down the cant of that thing milling it with the Ripsaw when I had broken a blade (think I had the tension too high). Thus 6 inches (thick) of that crotch cant is still intact. It was getting late, so I just pulled the Ripsaw blade out of it and "walked" that last 6x13x40 chunk back to the van and hauled it home. I have yet to slice it up any further. Gunstock material wasn't on the agenda though. IF the rest of it is still that nice, you think gunstock blanks would fetch a good price? Give me some ball park numbers, as I don't know much about that market.

It looks like American Blk. to me... yes?

When i heavy was into the gunstock market i think customers were a lot more picky than they are now. From going to gun forums on line it's plain to see most of these younger guys have no idea what makes a "proper" stock! They buy "pretty"!!

You need to learn the PROPER layout of a rifle blank and cut out some patterns. Then saw the planks 10/4 and lay the patterns on them. This will show you what you have and allow you to saw the blanks from the planks...

In the pict. i can see what "appears to be" one proper blank, and ASSUMEING the layout/color/grain goes all the way through the blank, i'd say air dried i could retail it for $350 or so... I'd have to have it in my hands to say forsure, it could go higher... Layout is everything!!!

Most folks that THINK they have big dollar stockwood rarely do, and small things can blow the price up or down drastically...

Rob

It looks like American Blk. to me... yes?

When i heavy was into the gunstock market i think customers were a lot more picky than they are now. From going to gun forums on line it's plain to see most of these younger guys have no idea what makes a "proper" stock! They buy "pretty"!!

You need to learn the PROPER layout of a rifle blank and cut out some patterns. Then saw the planks 10/4 and lay the patterns on them. This will show you what you have and allow you to saw the blanks from the planks...

In the pict. i can see what "appears to be" one proper blank, and ASSUMING the layout/color/grain goes all the way through the blank, i'd say air dried i could retail it for $350 or so... I'd have to have it in my hands to say forsure, it could go higher... Layout is everything!!!

Most folks that THINK they have big dollar stockwood rarely do, and small things can blow the price up or down drastically...

Rob

Yes it is American Black Walnut (juglans nigra). It is not Claro walnut or butternut. Thanks Rob for that info. Now I at least have a ball park figure, as you said VERY depending on the details. Unfortunately I have no eye for layout which you say is so important. I have always milled assuming my woodshop would be the eventual user of that wood, and mill accordingly. Thus I mill mostly 5/4 (actually 1 1/8), probably around 70%. The rest I spread between 6/4, 8/4 and a little 12/4. Believe it or not, I am amazed at how many times I'm looking for 12/4 stock. I just came out with a new product this past show, a unique envelope/mail holder, which uses a large 10/4 dia dowel, which means I usually have to start with 12/4 to get that.
Point here is since I almost never cut for resale value, I also don't even think about it when I come across something like this premium walnut crotch. Since I don't know squat about this "layout" that is so important, I think I'll continue to mill that last 5-6 inch thick crotch slab at 1 1/8 to eventually be the side of a grandfather clock or maybe a hutch door. That's thick enough where I can resaw into 3/8 thick bookmatched pieces if I want to go that route down the line.

Again, thanks for your info though. I didn't think a good gunstock blank would go that high under any circumstances.

Back