Walnut for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratso

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a chance to get about 40 trees right next door.The trees are pushed into log piles.

Im not a big fan of walnut it leaves a ton of ashes.I have plenty of pine,fir,oak.I have no trouble finding wood to cut but I have to drive to get. Walnut is close I offered to buy for $10 a cord waiting for answer.What do you think ? I might have to offer more $$.

My family thinks I'm nuts for wanting walnut firewood !!

walnut is just fine. However, the limbs are best. the thick, older trunks where you find the heart of the darkest wood is a slower, more resinous product. It produces an aroma I like, and when tossed in at night, usuall burns very long, but without the heat output of the limb. It also leaves clinkers that don't fully burn overnight, but are not going to catch again next time. The trunk wood from older trees, should go two years before burning. It'll burn in less, but not as admirably

what kind of walnut is it. if its black walnut and the it doesnt have any rot or isnt getting punky those logs are worth a ton of $.

The walnut is franket and Hartley very good nuts. The neighbor sold off the burls. The wood is right next to my property line.

Hauling is probably the highest cost in getting firewood for most people. If it's free and close (or even low cost, like yours), it's better to me than "good" wood I have to travel for. At 10 miles one way, hauling a half cord home in a pickup at a time burns a lot of gas, and you spend a lot of steering wheel time that could be put to better use.

I haven't burned any walnut, but from what I read, it's fairly comparable to some other middle of the road hardwoods like elm or cherry. That's good enough for most of the year, just need the high btu stuff for midwinter cold snaps.

I like it but only get a few days worth a year so I can't say about crudd in the chimney. But it keeps us warm and if I could get it next door I would cut it all.

Nothing wrong with walnut.
A decent middle of the bunch btu firewood and great location to get it.
What's not to like about that?

what kind of walnut is it. if its black walnut and the it doesnt have any rot or isnt getting punky those logs are worth a ton of $.

It's worth more cut, split and stacked to set on fire around here. You'd starve to death if you had a thousand of them on the ground and limbed off ready for pickup.

It's decent firewood, especially if it's really close to get.

Just cut some on Sunday, this tree had been down since I was a kid, didn't figure it'd be any good but it was still solid. Around 30" at the base. Not all in the pic is walnut. There were some punky parts but for the most part it was still good.

I haven't burned any walnut, but from what I read, it's fairly comparable to some other middle of the road hardwoods like elm or cherry. That's good enough for most of the year, just need the high btu stuff for midwinter cold snaps.

The charts might put it close to elm or cherry but in real life it doesn't compare. Not nearly as good. Don't get me wrong, it beats the hell out of willow, cottonwood, and several others.

Edge of the property line though. Yep I'd get it.

Just Be ready for a nose full of sawdust that just won't leave ya... It's nasty

Man I've cut and burned a but load of Walnut back in the late 70's when I was going to school in Cali in the Gustine; Newman and Paterson area (just below Modesto)

Back then the walnut orchard owners would post in the local paper they were taking out and orchard and it would be a mad house of families cutting up trees that were pushed over

JMO

most gun stock mfgs won't take anything less than 18" diameter. For norcal I've sold trees to Calico in Windsor...contact Ted. They will pick up if the trees are good.
for just plain lumber...rough cut walnut isn't going for all that much but there are a few small mills that will take it.

I cut up a 14-16 inch black walnut that was damaged by a car wreck.

The trunk was the easiest splitting wood I've come across.

I'm talking an axe here, not a maul or a splitter.

Tom

Walnut can be pretty hard on the skin for a lot of people, and probably not so good in the lungs. Maybe since you've already got better wood, you can sell it? (For firewood, I mean, not to the hundreds of people out there who would gladly pay $800 or $900 for an uncut log). :msp_sneaky:

It's worth more cut, split and stacked to set on fire around here. You'd starve to death if you had a thousand of them on the ground and limbed off ready for pickup.

It's decent firewood, especially if it's really close to get.

sorry when people around here hear the word black walnut they see $$$. there arent many of em around here and i know a couple places that will buy em. theres lots of oak ash elm maple ironwood around here that gets cut for firewood. i know of about a dozen black walnuts and half of em are in someones front yard.

Back