Walnut Shake or not? How would you mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phile10

Reaction score
Just picked up this walnut log, a little over 36” in diameter and 12-13 foot in length. It appears to have some early signs of shake, I’m no expert though. What are your thoughts, would you still mill this log, if so how?

thanks!

https://imgur.com/gallery/g9zYFhG

That's a pretty nice log. All I could say is I would try to cut parallel to the cracks. Maybe cut it in half and hope there is no shaking in the top half. I would hope that when you got to that big limb about 3' up it would stop. Maybe some one has dealt with this. I had a big Pin Oak that had a beautiful straight log that had wind shake so bad I just gave up and used it for firewood. Sure would hate to do that to that log. Good luck.

Seal the ends with Anchorseal ASAP. I don't think its shake, just drying cracks and may not go far into the log. A few cracks won't ruin the log, it just might yield differently than you had planned.

There are fasteners you can pound into the end of the lot to help stabilize it so it wont crack. I dont know the names of them somewhere to get them unfortunately. There are many variations. Log-end-cracks-with-fasteners-to-prevent-cracking-Source-internet.png

Latest posts

Back