Want New Sprocket/Spur for 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What set up should I switch to? It has the original removable "spur" on there now. It's the type of spur that is held on by a C clip. The clip gets removed, then the "spur", then the plastic clutch cover gets removed to expose the rest of the drum, oiler gears, etc. The actual spur is separate from the clutch drum and as mentioned gets removed prior to taking inner cover off.

I would like to go to a sprocket setup. I am assuming 7 tooth. I am running .325 by .063 chain. From searching, in order to convert to sprocket, it sounds like I need to replace the drum, the oiler gear on the drum, and possibly drum bearing?

Does somebody have a kit? Is it a stihl part only ($$)? I don't want a spur, would like a sprocket setup. Any aftermarket setups for the 028? thanks, KD

I have the set up you need complete..only used for 5 minutes....(I changed my oiler configuration on my 028 Warner Brothers Edition) I can check on aftermarket I am sure someone has them available the whole kit runs around 20 bucks or so aftermarket. The Stihl price was A LOT more but may have come down since I got it.

From your description, it sounds like you have the old two piece spur
type sprocket, which I do not think is still available. They also have the
whole spur gear, and then they have a rim sprocket system, which drives
a replaceable rim. Oregon makes a rim sprocket for the 028, but I would
get the kit from Stihl, as it will come with a new cover and other goodies,
like the pump gear too. The part number is1118 007 1003

kd460, Oregon makes a kit to convert it to a 7 tooth .325 floating rim sprocket. The cost is $15.45 and the part # is 30384X. It does not come with a bearing as it uses the standard Stihl part that you have. Tony

UweHarry, thanks, does that include the gear for the oiler? I have searched on their website, no reference to oiler gear. The gear would have to be made to fit the 7 spline shaft? Thanks, KD

Unless that kit has changed it does not include the oiler gear nor the bearing I think it does include the metal cover

kd460, Yes it includes an oiler gear. However it is an Oregon part so if you ever need a replacement gear it has to come from Oregon. Tony
Oregon%2030384X-2.jpg

Last edited:
I am sorry..I can not sell these parts for the current price. I will let the others post list prices from the catalogs and back away. Here is the kit I offered but I paid far to much for the pieces and can not sell them at a loss.

I am sorry for any confusion and once again feel that people are making assumptions that I and others that sponser the site are attempting to rip buyers off and I find that a bit offensive

I will post the pics but I retract the offer to sell the parts

I am sorry but I know that the drum and the rim sprocket do cost 15 bucks...they do not include any other parts and the kits that I am thinking of did include all the parts but the oiler gear.

Please find out from a Stihl dealer what the entire kit costs.

I also wish I had never offered the kit as I am trying my hardest to not get into a shouting match that the kit I bought from Stihl did in fact have an Oregon drum this was some years back and I am not willing to discuss that further.

I let this thread rest

Latest posts

Back