want to learn to file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmiller100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i've got a couple of 7900's. i keep tweaking them back and forth. One is a rev'er up special, the other is a wider powerband torque monster.

One of the things I did very early on was to switch to an 8 pin wheel, fwiw.

So, we cut firewood. there is a lot of dirt and rocks in it, but i'm using round chisel chain, both full comp and semi skip. I want to learn to grind chain, and have recently figured out I don't know as much as I think I do.

so i was grinding and adjusting my grind and adjusting. eventually i had a really SHARP chain that cut pretty fast for about half a tank of gas. and I had a loop chain of full skip that I hadn't ground that was just as fast and lasted most of a day.

My wife trains me with a sledge hammer.

so, now i am refiguring. the oregon chain pdf says the side plates do most of the work. the working corner is obviously the most important.

i've been worried about the bottom of the top plate. now I wonder if I should be worried about the outside of the sideplate.

opinions?????

To much angle will make a really sharp chain that does not last, the edges will roll over quickly. As for sharpening only certain parts more than other, maybe for a race chain but I have never done it and have no idea how. For sharpening the saw to be functional to cut firewood you need to sharpen the whole link, evenly on both sides and have the correct raker depth. There are many file guide available that will help get the stroke and angle. You can tweak that angle a bit free hand to get a bit more speed, but then you will lose durability. Round chain works better in dirty wood, but removing as much of the dirt and rocks before utting works even better.

Latest posts

Back