Wanted Dolmar 421 Feedback.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had one of these for about 6 months before a good friend bought it from me to replace his 025.
is heavier than some 40ish cc saws out there? yup, but in no way do you notice it while holding one. very well balanced little saw. also has THE best anti-vibe out there, and i think a little extra weight helps that along a bit. hardly uses fuel and tuned properly, bone stock will put a whooping on most 50cc saws out there. would i take a 440 or 445 over one? nope not for a second. they are good saws and all, but they don't pull a chain like the 420/421 does. and although the anti-vibe is ok on the little husky's, it isn't as good as the little dolmar.
people need to look at the whole picture instead of only focusing on the weight numbers on paper.
Amen. I watched one of the 420s SPANK a Husky 350 one time. They really arer far and away a better performer than any 40cc saw should be.

Amen. I watched one of the 420s SPANK a Husky 350 one time. They really arer far and away a better performer than any 40cc saw should be.

There likely was a lot of variables involved, that we don't know about. Random comparisons are basically worthless, except for what happened there and then. :msp_wink:

Last edited:
One of the variables, highly probable, are the chain diameter. The 420 has a narrow kerf chain, the 350 will probably have a normal kerf.

One of the variables, highly probable, are the chain diameter. The 420 has a narrow kerf chain, the 350 will probably have a normal kerf.

A PS-420 / 421 is faster on standard .325 than with NK .325. I believe blsnelling has video with my 420 I sent to him a few years ago. 3/8LP-91VX vs .325-20LP vs .325 NK-95VP. The standard .325 was faster than any other combo.

One thing to remember the PS-421 has more power than the PS-420 with a different cylinder.

A PS-420 / 421 is faster on standard .325 than with NK .325. I believe blsnelling has video with my 420 I sent to him a few years ago. 3/8LP-91VX vs .325-20LP vs .325 NK-95VP. The standard .325 was faster than any other combo.

One thing to remember the PS-421 has more power than the PS-420 with a different cylinder.

To refresh my memory......a clutch drum from a 5105 will fit?

To refresh my memory......a clutch drum from a 5105 will fit?

Yes you will need a smaller .... I forgot what it is called in english :bang::bang: didn't help much yet :bang::bang: just checked you need a extra thin washer so that it fits. Dementia present already :D

The parts sheet for the 421 and everything else between the 350 and that, on it shows sprur sprocket/drums of 6 teeth 3/8 low profile and 7 teeth .325. If you mount the other drum and use rim sprockets is there any generic rim sprockets to stay in the low profile, perhaps get seven teeth?

I got my 421 a couple of days ago and I really like it. I mounted a 5105 clutch drum and a 325 sprocket. But the 5105 bar wont allow it to oil due to alignment problems. What bar do I need? Or do i need to modify the one I have.
Thanks

Oregon Pro Lite

This is the Oregon Pro Lite Bar we are selling 160GLGK041 16" .325".050" uses a 20BPX or 20LPX 66 driver chain

Scott

I got my 421 a couple of days ago and I really like it. I mounted a 5105 clutch drum and a 325 sprocket. But the 5105 bar wont allow it to oil due to alignment problems. What bar do I need? Or do i need to modify the one I have.
Thanks

Your 421 has 041 style bar mount, which oils through the adjuster holes, whereas the 5105 bar mount is a K095 (Small Husky mount) and has separate oiling holes. Except for that, they're close to being the same. The K095 may be modified to work just fine.

From post 16937 by Modifiedmark in the Poulan thread Sticky:

"..... to run a small husky mount bar in the Oregon K095 style. You will have to modify the small Husky bar to oil through the adjuster holes like your original does, but thats a easy modification with a round file or a die grinder. Just file the adjuster hole straight up till it breaks into the bottom of the bar groove."

Your 421 has 041 style bar mount, which oils through the adjuster holes, whereas the 5105 bar mount is a K095 (Small Husky mount) and has separate oiling holes. Except for that, they're close to being the same. The K095 may be modified to work just fine.

From post 16937 by Modifiedmark in the Poulan thread Sticky:

"..... to run a small husky mount bar in the Oregon K095 style. You will have to modify the small Husky bar to oil through the adjuster holes like your original does, but thats a easy modification with a round file or a die grinder. Just file the adjuster hole straight up till it breaks into the bottom of the bar groove."

Yep. You can also slot down from the bar groove to the adjuster holes with a reinforced cutoff wheel in a dremel tool if the bar is .058G or .063G. Not sure if you could get the cutoff wheel into a .050G groove. I haven't tried it yet, but it was a close fit in the .058G K095 bar I did for my PP330.

The 421 and a 6400 would be the perfect 2 saw plan for 99% of the firewood cutting population of the world.............................as long as they'd never heard of Arboristsite!!!

Mike

That is my 2 saw plan. I cut enough wood with these two saws that some people accuse me of being a dooms day prepper.

I paid $175 for the new 420 and $180 for the 6401.

Don't tell Sawtroll though.....because the sideways balance is way off.

gg

Yep. You can also slot down from the bar groove to the adjuster holes with a reinforced cutoff wheel in a dremel tool if the bar is .058G or .063G. Not sure if you could get the cutoff wheel into a .050G groove. I haven't tried it yet, but it was a close fit in the .058G K095 bar I did for my PP330.

I ended up drilling a hole between the bar rails straight down. It works very good.

I ended up drilling a hole between the bar rails straight down. It works very good.
If the bar has some sort of lubi dam feature or depression in the slot where the oil comes out modifying the side of the bar would be preferred in my opinion. Just an overlapping drilled depression towards the center worked for me. The slot for the oil to come out of the saw was long enough that it seemed unlikely for the 095 location to move too far.

That is my 2 saw plan. I cut enough wood with these two saws that some people accuse me of being a dooms day prepper.

I paid $175 for the new 420 and $180 for the 6401.

Don't tell Sawtroll though.....because the sideways balance is way off.

gg

That is in my eyes the perfect combo (40&60cc) for a homeowner.

Not a big surprice, as it is the only chisel chain among those! :msp_biggrin:

One of the reasons for that conclusion is that he didn't have a loop of 63 PS3 to put on there at the time!
THAT is FAST chain!

Mike

No, it's molded into the clutch cover. Kind of a "homeowner" design, but mine's withstood a few chain tossings pretty well:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back