Wanting a 1600 Hercules engine and or parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for complete 1600 engine that may need rebuilding or a sound running engine would be a plus.

Cam shaft on mine, snapped in half and pretty much trashed the front end of the engine.

290 EAGER BEAVER by Morbark

millbilly; PM SENT.

Apparently these motors have nearly all dried up. "Really no surprise, they been out of bus. for several yrs." I have a "1990" 290 EAGER BEAVER by Morbark. Any suggestions on what other motor would be compatible that would adapt with the Twin Disc PTO unit?

Came across a new long block, old stock crate motor. 1404 Cat. which is the same as a 1600 Herc.. Even came w/the sheet metal..I consider this a very lucky find. Last 1 the fella had. I did find 1 other, but it needed a complete rebuild.
. Only thing I'm having a problem locating, is the big thick rubber grommets or bushings to mount the engine on. Will get something figured out, even if I have to cut up an old mudflap.

Came across a new long block, old stock crate motor. 1404 Cat. which is the same as a 1600 Herc.. Even came w/the sheet metal..I consider this a very lucky find. Last 1 the fella had. I did find 1 other, but it needed a complete rebuild.
. Only thing I'm having a problem locating, is the big thick rubber grommets or bushings to mount the engine on. Will get something figured out, even if I have to cut up an old mudflap.

did you talk to that guy in Phila? How much did you get for the cat motor and where from?

millbilly

Yes the fella in Philly did have a complete engine, asking 900. for it. I figured 200 more to ship it. He said it was blowin smoke, which told me it needed rebuilt. A Kit if I remember right, was around 350. Guessing the machine work an rebuilding the block and a head job would run no less then 300. Then hope the crank, cam shafts and valves were all reusable. Plus all the extra time involved.

The fella I bought the long block from is from Newark Oh. 1hr. an 15min. away. He still has a few short blocks, all new, old stock. They did not have the timing cover, which I had to have, plus after thinking I already had the head reworked 3 different times over the yrs. I decided to go w/t long block. It even had the sheet metal.

We started replacement yesterday. In 2 1/2 hr. we had the old 1 out, all parts changed over to the new one an ready to set in. Should have it done today. All the rubber mounts needed replaced. Shut us down. .Got them ordered an now waiting on a ph. call which should be anytime now.

short blocks were 1550.
long block was 2750. and his last one

Looking for complete 1600 engine that may need rebuilding or a sound running engine would be a plus.

Cam shaft on mine, snapped in half and pretty much trashed the front end of the engine.
Looking for information on the hercules G1600 I have.. I don't seem to be getting enough oil to my valves. I see it has 2 tubas that come up to the valves one is pressure one is return. Any idea what supplies pressure to the pressure side? Not getting any oil out it but engine has 25 psi at idle blocked somewhere?
I'm list on this

Latest posts

Back