Wanting a firewood saw capable of making some lumber. Suggestions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

361? I'd never use mine for milling.. well.... maybe in 8 inch wood...

Neither would I......:popcorn:

It is probably too small for some of his firewood as well, if the 260 is too small 60% of the time....:censored:

17 minutes this post has been up and no mention of the 361? Strange.

As it should be, this time.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
I would suggest considering a dolly 7900. It would be a nice compliment to the 260. I will hold up well to some "occasional" milling. I "broke" mine in milling some white oak slabs. And its 'bout the same weight as the 372 or 460. It's good bang for the buck too.

I have to agree, sounds like the best compromise for the applications....

The 7900 has a lot more torque than the 372xp.

It really sounds that he need a 3 saw plan, but a 390xp may be an option, if he doesn't mind the weight for the firewood......

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Very helpful and I especially liked the info on Granberg's site.

Also, after looking at the specs on the 7900, it looks to have a very favorable power to weight ratio. In fact, as far as specs go, I couldn't find another saw that matched it.

I don't come to this board very often any more but from what I have gathered, Dolmar makes a good saw but has poor customer support. That aside, is the 7900 as well designed and as reliable as it's Euro counterparts (Husky & Stihl)?? Any pros here that have used all three brands in the commercial world?

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional replies.

Being that this saw is more of a "want" than a "need" at this point, I have decided to hold off....unless...some one out there with a really nice saw is willing to barter.

I don't feel it's appropriate to post a link to my site here but if one's interested, they can PM me. I make functional museum quality primitive weapons (bows, arrow, etc) the way prehistoric people made them and unique wood sculptures (not "chainsaw carvings").

So,...weapons and art for saws anyone?

hmm, if you're interested in figures I might post my chart again (love the sound of my own voice... well the electrical equivilent):
As Sawtroll said, the 7900 can't be beat in its class, the 440 just trumps the 372 and the 460's comfortably better than both
specs-4.jpg

hmm, if you're interested in figures I might post my chart again (love the sound of my own voice... well the electrical equivilent):
As Sawtroll said, the 7900 can't be beat in its class, the 440 just trumps the 372 and the 460's comfortably better than both........

Trouble with that chart is that max hp and max torque doesn't tell the whole story, just a couple of snapshots of it......LOL

A sidenote; The MS260 in the chart is not the reduced power EPA'ed one that you get in the US, and the 346xp is the old 45cc version.

Back