Wanting to start milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to start milling lumber for the first time. I just bought a stihl 066 with out any bars. So, I was planning on buying a bar atleast 36 inches. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on brands. Is it worth buying a stihl bar, or would an oregon be just as good. Also, suggestions on chains. Also, can anyone suggest a book or other reading to help prepare me to get started. Any equipment or idea suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
brian

00juice said:
Hi,
I am looking to start milling lumber for the first time. I just bought a stihl 066 with out any bars. So, I was planning on buying a bar atleast 36 inches. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on brands. Is it worth buying a stihl bar, or would an oregon be just as good. Also, suggestions on chains. Also, can anyone suggest a book or other reading to help prepare me to get started. Any equipment or idea suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
brian

Hi 00juice

We have been milling today using a Roller-Matic chainsaw mill with a 30 inch bar and an Ms 660 Stihl, we cut some 3 foot Western Reds today, using Oilomatic 3 ripping chain, we use the saw mill when we cannot reach the big stuff with the Forrestor, this mill gives a full 24 inches wide cutting capacity.
The MS 660 is comfortable using a 30 inch bar, for the really big stuff we use an MS 880 with Cannon 60 inch bars.

Last edited:
More photo's

Here are some more photo's and a link to the Roller-Matic planking mill pages.

The floating and rising platform is really easy to use, just a quick twist of the handles to adjust thickness of cut and your away again in no time at all.

It also has a side roller underneath the riser post nearest to the saw, which stops the mill from being rammed into the log, this is a must as the whole unit just glides along almost effortlessly, a good all round investment, which will soon pay for itself.

http://www.bagpipeworks.co.uk/rollermatic__railomatic_chain.htm

Hi juice. Do you already have a milling attachment? If not you could look at the granberg type that many of us in here have.I bought mine from right-tool.com. It came with the mill ,slabbing brackets, oiler, 44 inch bar, ripping chain, electric chain sharpener all for a little over $500. I have been very pleased with mine so far.

kit

I just wondered, what type of saw you were using with teh 42" bar. Also, what is the doubled ended bar for? Is this package easy to use? Is an additional oiler necessary, or just desirable. Do their bars hold up well. Is right-tool.com the cheapes place to get all of this? Thanks
brian

Ive been running a small Stihl 08S which is a little underpowered for the setup but ive recently ordered a Husky 395XP. Yes this site was the cheapest I could find and I did a lot of research before ordering. The double ended bar is capable of being run by two powerheads if you so desire, but the mill package does come with a helper handle that mounts to the far end of the bar so that you can run just one if you like. The helper handle has a roller in it for the chain to run on, kinda like a roller nose bar. Yes the oiler is a very good idea as it oils the bottom of the bar while the saw oils the top portion. The bar is a sturdy made bar that has held up real well for me so far, not that ive done a whole lot of milling yet, but I hear that Granberg products are very dependable. As for being easy to run , Ive never run anything else to compare it to, but if I can run it easily anyone can. Hope this helps and good luck.

milling

Does the mill come with instructions on how to actually get going. How to setup to get the most usable lumber from a log etc.
Thanks

The mill does come with instructions, but they are limited to assembly and general milling such as setting up the mill and making the first pass and so on.It shows you nothing about how to get good lumber from a log, but with a little milling experience im sure you will do fine. A lot of the guys in here will be able to give advice on just about any question that you have. They have really helped me out.

00juice said:
Does the mill come with instructions on how to actually get going. How to setup to get the most usable lumber from a log etc.
Thanks

Welcome aboard, 00juice. A lot of the folks here can/will help with getting the most from each log. The quicker you can learn to post pictures the better, we like pictures. :rock: Start out with a few practice logs, you'll get the hang of it. Also, learn to use the search feature, lots of good posting in the archives.

I'm running a 36" granberg mill with a Stihl 066mag and 36" oregon bar with bailey's ripping chain. It seems to handle it ok but I have to be easy with it on the really big cuts. I can get about a 28" cut with my setup.

juice, you've come to the right place.

Bar:

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/731?mv_session_id=CvGz6fTw&product_sku=ORPM%2042%20SS63

Chain:

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1849?mv_session_id=CvGz6fTw&product_sku=WP375%2033RP

You want 136 links, not the 135 that the bar says...don't ask me how I know. Buy at least two, if not three chains.

Mill:

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/496?mv_session_id=CvGz6fTw&product_sku=46778

Lets see, $75 bar, $28 x 3 = $84 chains, $180 mill. $340? oops..$385

On top of that, you will need a couple of 7/32" files, a 10' 2x8 or x10 that is flat/straight, a box of 3"x#8 "zip" screws, a cordless drill with an extra battery, 4 plastic wedges (Bailey's again), forgot the auxiliary oiler ($45), a couple of gallons of bar oil too.

Now, you also could use some "general" equipment as well. Gloves, hearing protection, PPE (safety pants, headgear), a cant hook (www.logrite.com...best on the market, get the 48"), a "come along", some log chain (a couple of 12-15 foot lengths), cut some...okay a bunch of stickers, and make sure you have or get some old paint (anchorseal is better, but I've used paint very successfully to cover the ends of the boards or logs that will be sitting for a while)

Others will add the stuff I forgot, but you get the picture. The learning curve is very steep. You will get the basics figured out 1/2 way through your first log. The rest you will learn over the rest of your life.

Enjoy, I know I sure do.

Mark

The best book to read is Malloff's book "Chainsaw Lumbermaking" although there is a pull string principle described that nobody seems to use. It's sold out from the publisher so you need to buy it used. It normally sells at 100 $ or so at E-bay so it's pretty expensive.

Careful there. Better check with your Stihl dealer on whether they will warrant the saw for use with a chainsaw mill attachment......as some apparently don't. I'd get it in writing (if possible) if I were you.

coveredinsap said:
Careful there. Better check with your Stihl dealer on whether they will warrant the saw for use with a chainsaw mill attachment......as some apparently don't. I'd get it in writing (if possible) if I were you.

It's an 066, the warranty is probably all used up. Mine certainly is.
Besides, it doesn't matter, he bought it to mill with.

Juice, Sap bought a Stihl homeowners saw and tried to mill with it, and somehow broke the saw in the mount area. Ever since then he hates Stihl saws and the people who own them. Take Sap with a mine of salt.

Mark

its a little older

The 066 i bought is a little older. It is a red eye model. My buddy used it for his tree service. It had used it very little because the 44 was lighter and could handle most work. So, I definately don't have any warranty.
brian

Brian,

The 066 is a great milling saw. I only upgraded to a 3120 because of the number of huge logs I kept running into (30"+), which the 066 did, but wasn't too happy with. For the average sized log, you've got one of the best saws for the job.

BTW, I recommended the stuff from Baileys since they are a site sponsor. However, it is exactly the same stuff I use, and the place I buy most of my stuff.

Mark

Milling

Welcome to the sight. I agree with OldSaw on the Baileys plug. I like their ripping chain and own one of their Powermatch bars. I also agree with the 066 comments. I use an 064 and find it good to about 20" of log. Above that it complains a bit. I have an 084 for the bigger stuff, as I tend to run in to 36" oaks all the time. As they get bigger people are more willing to give them away. That is a daunting task with some kind of a 16" homeowners saw. You can also quartersaw the larger logs to get interesting grain, more stable lumber etc. It also takes a 36" log and makes it a 18" cut. Good luck and send lot's of pics.

I recently stared milling (over weekend). I use a MS440 w/24" bar and Alaskan mill, 3/8p oregon chain. Was cutting popple/aspen 8" to 9" wide 1/2" a sec.

Welcome!!! Oldsaw about has it all summed up.

Here is a link to a few pics....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=36470

I use a 660, 28" bar, and a GB 36" mill. Most of what I do is hardwoods, as thats what I can get free almost as much as I want.

You can also play with your chains. I recommend Baileys as well, for supplies. Here is a link to chain modifying....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=36472

And Another....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=35585

Lots of info here, and if it hadnt been for this site, I would never have bought a 660 and a CSM!!

Back