Warm boots and gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tis the season were we get into sub zero weather.What boots do you guys were with chalks for snow and ice and keep you warm.other problem what gloves do you go with use a stihl 200 t want to be able to feel the saw I have big paws so trying to get your hand in handle is a problem.I have not found anything yet that works great.

Tis the season were we get into sub zero weather.What boots do you guys were with chalks for snow and ice and keep you warm.other problem what gloves do you go with use a stihl 200 t want to be able to feel the saw I have big paws so trying to get your hand in handle is a problem.I have not found anything yet that works great.

I keep wearing my normal Climbing boots-Danners, seem to be warm if you keep moving and have a good pair of socks. For gloves I just wear my Grey thicker Atlas gloves and keep a few pairs in the truck on the defrost to keep em warm when it's below -10 and rotate em. Usually though if your up in the tree or keeping a constant movement I am usually not bothered by the cold. Just makes you work faster!

cotton glove snug, not tight, over that a leather glove. Works perfect. Climbing I use Atlas winter with the gray rubber lining.

I wear the Atlas thermal Gloves aswell. Grey with rubber palm. If Its really cold I get a size bigger and wear cotton liners under them. For boots I picked up a pair of viking black tusk boots from my local stihl dealer. I got them one size bigger and put winter liners in them. Got the caulked sole since they are my winter boots. I was hauling brush up a lake front bank and it was like I had four wheel drive! Comfy and decent to climb in. Foot ascender or spurs fit over no problem.

I have also found the 3 finger linemans gloves to be some of the warmest winter gloves I have ever worn. Leather with a thick liner in them. Not that friendly to climb in but are good in the bucket or on the ground. I could still use a saw no problem with the 3 finger style.

On really cold days, Sorel Packs with safety features. Unfortunately the company that made these went out of biz ten years ago, so supplies are becoming scarce-the last pair I bought three years ago and they are pretty much done in. I also agree about the three fingered linesmans mitts.

What the well dressed oil patch worker is decked out like on -30F days.

Last edited:
Boots:
Catipiller Indiana's with 2 sets wool socks, water proof spray, in side and out.
Gloves: Atlas thermal's, cover with larger Deer Skin leather, if way cold, glove warmers

Legs: Long jons, Levis, Carhardt Bibs (winter set)

Upper body, many layers

Head: hoods and a Baclava tactical, these things are AWESOME, not the regular head/fask mask, they are cut different, and you can arrange in different set ups. Very nice
and when its super super cold
I go inside

I agree with the all the posts above except for the boots for me i have several different pairs Sorrel pack boots, Hoffman calk pack boots, and Redwing insulated (for climbing but are by no means the greatest, spur support is poor).

I like the idea of rotating my atlas thermal gloves as I need..the blue ones with the fleece..ya..they're NICE..hands might get a lil damp from melting snow..but they never get cold..as far as ice grips for boots..I just saw in cabelas some pretty tough lookin slip over your boot cleats/grips that way you can use em on you favorite boots and not dedicate one pair of boots to the mission..I saw those Hoffman linemans packs that looked pretty sweet if those cleats arent up to the job..

Thank you for all the input guys this will help the crew out and myself.The crew comes first get them set up first,they been bust there butts all week long on tornado work we have been movin unbelievable pace to get they people taken care of. With wind chill last 2 days low teens.

One pair of pack boots does it, just buy extra sets of liners and rotate them on a daily basis.

Thank God it has warmed up here in time for the Grey Cup game!

He says he grateful that it has warmed up, then put's on his temp reading OF 18 DEGREES!
Suppose 50 is like oppressive to you guys. lol

He says he grateful that it has warmed up, then put's on his temp reading OF 18 DEGREES!
Suppose 50 is like oppressive to you guys. lol

LOL I remember when I was in Iraq and got used to 125-130 degrees..on thanksgiving it got down to 85 and had on every piece of clothing I owned..LOL now its gotta get down in the 20's for me to start shivering..talk about a change..I got the anti-freeze back in my blood..LOL

LOL I remember when I was in Iraq and got used to 125-130 degrees..on thanksgiving it got down to 85 and had on every piece of clothing I owned..LOL now its gotta get down in the 20's for me to start shivering..talk about a change..I got the anti-freeze back in my blood..LOL

When I got home from Afghanistan last year same same-80F on a midsummer day seemed cold after 120F+++ in Kandahar.

Says 10F right now-the joy of living in Alberta in the winter. It is a nice sunny day.

Latest posts

Back