Warm weather blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
We're having a bit of warm weather this week. Makes it impossible to enjoy the new wood stove. It's been out for 2 days now. :cry:

I did go get a load of red and white oak today from someone who answered my "free storm damage cleanup" ad I put in freecycle. Going back for more tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Best part about it was he already had a burn pile going so I didn't actually need to "clean up", I just cut the firewood and he drug the branches to the burn pit.

Ian

well Ian at least you have power and all is well. i'm sure it'll cool down again so you can fire it up again.:cheers:

I dont like the warm weather, slop and mud around here cant get to the woods.

Yup, same here. I can't take the truck down to the barn where the wood pile is, I have to hook the garden cart to the lawn mower (has full chevron tractor tires) and shuttle it down one cart at a time.

It looks as if were gonna see quite a few warm days this week Ian.:cheers:

Yep, and rain some of those days. :cry: Oh well, got a long weekend for President's day, will get some more wood in then if the weather cooperates.

Ian

Dang, it was 70 here yesterday and the day before. This isnt right. I was in a t shirt out cutting down a bunch of 30" Ash trees. Too warm to cut wood, but I couldnt pass up Ash for firewood. Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow here, with thunderstorms...

in the 40's today...first 24 hr burn time in my OWB though...and now that the snow melted a bit I finally got to a dead fallen oak I've been wanting....

50 here today

Nice to get outside without a coat. Burned 2 or 3 pallets all weekend, no cordwood. Moved about a cord of wood over to the OWB and fired up the 372 to cut some 5 footers in half. Once the snow is gone it's showtime. Also spent a couple hours grinding chains and cleaning up the saws. Spring is coming.....:clap:

We're having a bit of warm weather this week. Makes it impossible to enjoy the new wood stove. It's been out for 2 days now. :cry:

I did go get a load of red and white oak today from someone who answered my "free storm damage cleanup" ad I put in freecycle. Going back for more tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Best part about it was he already had a burn pile going so I didn't actually need to "clean up", I just cut the firewood and he drug the branches to the burn pit.

Ian

I am having a hard time feeling sorry for you and your warm weather.:)

We were out today skeet shooting and just about froze our tails off. The sun was out but that lake michigan wind really goes threw ya. Yesterday was warm here but it is back to the usual cold now. I'm sure you will get your stove fired back up soon enough.

Went and dropped a 30" American Elm today...Had to walk in and carry the saws...Kind of a funny tree, heavy leaner I had to wedge, lots of back weight at the top...Cut in a sweater and jeans...I am glad I brought 3 stocking caps b/c all were soaking wet when done...

Temperature was in the 50's on Sunday and I watched the OWB smolder all day and stay at 160 degrees. I didn't add any wood all day and it was still at 145 last night. With the rest of the week forecast to be warm and rainy.....I shut the OWB down and capped the chimney to keep the rain out......and turned the Heat Pump on to supply heat for a few days. I will get a few days vacation from stoking the fire.

Yesterday early it was nice outside, then it started raining/sleeting/snowing, which cut short hubby's wood splitting by hand. Time he got back in the house, he was soaked.
Then that let up, and it was just plain windy and cold here.
Actually quite cold as I stood outside with that dealer who was here for the wood furnace for almost 1.5 hours.
Hubby had ran to town to get a spark plug for his chainsaw, and I ended up answering questions for the furance dealer. When hubby got back, he helped with the furnace also. It seemed like it took over an hour for me to get warmed up again when I did get back in the house.
Send some of those warm temps north, will ya ? :)

Got up this morning with the house at 63 which is where the thermostat on the furnace is set... getting a fire going.... :clap::clap: Now to learn how to build a small fire that won't run me out of the house.

Ian

Got up this morning with the house at 63 which is where the thermostat on the furnace is set... getting a fire going.... :clap::clap: Now to learn how to build a small fire that won't run me out of the house.

Ian

I built a small fire last night before I went to bed and it was 82 degrees in the kitchen this morning at 3:30. Next time I will have to build a smaller fire.:)

At least I got to move over to the stack of walnut that I had planned for March burning. The locust and red oak is just about gone.

You're right about the mud, though. I dropped a big black cherry last week, and now I can't get in to pick up the rounds.

I feel your pain Haywire, it hit 70 here yesterday, and more of the same today.
For crying out loud, I wore shorts to the store last night! Lowes was plumb full of folks buying new trees and flowers.Guess they figured spring came early or something.Guess they will all be in for a shock when winter returns with a vengence.
But, on the plus side, it helps keep the wood consumption down. I have burned more this winter than I planned on, might even have to go into the reserve pile.

You guys got the spring thaw goin! Yesterday it got too about 39 degrees up here but then last night was back down too 1 by morning! Pretty big drop for a 12 hour period and of course really windy while it's happening. I'm not complaining, it's business as usual around here but soon enough we'll get into "Mud Season" too. It's my least favorite time of year.

Back