Was Given a 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
20200503_104638.jpg
A buddy of mine stopped over yesterday and asked if I would look at his chainsaw. He said he bought it off a guy he knows but it never ran right and always bogged down when he pulled the trigger. He was thinking the carb needed rebuilt. The more he told me about the saw, the more I questioned the internal condition.

I asked him if he ever removed the muffler and he said no. I pulled it off and it was scored, and the ring was stuck.

I took the muffler off of a good saw and showed him the difference.

He asked what I would do with it, and I told him it may be worth rebuilding since it is a pro saw, but I would have to check on prices of parts. He said " I already have $150 in it and don't want to spend anymore, do you want it?"I said sure and he said "keep it".

So now I'm looking into this saw and what exactly to do with it. Its dirty and has had a rough life. But it is the fabled 346xp.

I can buy an oem piston and cylinder kit for $117. And put it back together and hope it doesn't need anything else, or I can turn it into a possible money pit saw that needs bearings, seals, etc.

What would you guys do with it? How much do good running 346s that look like this go for?

I bought a project 346xp last fall for $100. The guy had bought it and didn't have the time to work on it.
Top end had several broken fins. Put an OEM top end on it. A new tip on the Tsumura bar and absolutely love it.
If you think the bearings are good, so you don't have to split the cases. I would go for it.

If you have better things to do, then list it for sale.

I bought a project 346xp last fall for $100. The guy had bought it and didn't have the time to work on it.
Top end had several broken fins. Put an OEM top end on it. A new tip on the Tsumura bar and absolutely love it.
If you think the bearings are good, so you don't have to split the cases. I would go for it.

If you have better things to do, then list it for sale.
That is the direction I was leaning. The bearings feel fine when rotating the crank.

I have not rebuilt a 346 before, can the seals be replaced without splitting the case if needed?

Um, it cost you nothing except your buddies bad luck, so you can afford to throw more money into it than perhaps if it had cost you $100 off Craigslist?
If this is a keeper and not a cheap flick get it out the door saw, build it new from the bottom up.
Most likely it will be a flip saw, unless it just really surprises me with its performance.

Most likely it will be a flip saw, unless it just really surprises me with its performance.

Hope you are going to meet with your buddy after the flip and pass him an envelope with half the asking price in cash then.

Hope you are going to meet with your buddy after the flip and pass him an envelope with half the asking price in cash then.
Of the profit...or anything after parts? His time is worth something....if someone gives me something broken and i spend a few hours repairing it and put parts in it...id be hard pressed to split any profit on the flip. Ive had people ask if id fix..sell..and split the back end and i always say no, not generally worth it.

If you take a 346xp and put 150 in parts..2 hours in repair and cleaning..and sell it for 250...its just worth doing for the hundo.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

They really are great saws. My stock NE fires from cold on the first or second pull every time. Smooth, light weight, very nimble, and great power for the size. They're cheap, as you know, and parts are too. A new 261 or 550 might be a little snazzier and have a little more power, but not by much, and a guy can have two 346s and parts saw for what the new stuff costs.

I got in touch with him and told him what parts would cost and he said "not interested" and asked how much I was selling another one of my saws for. I told him a better deal than I would've given anybody else, so he will benefit in a round about way.

Of the profit...or anything after parts? His time is worth something....if someone gives me something broken and i spend a few hours repairing it and put parts in it...id be hard pressed to split any profit on the flip. Ive had people ask if id fix..sell..and split the back end and i always say no, not generally worth it.

If you take a 346xp and put 150 in parts..2 hours in repair and cleaning..and sell it for 250...its just worth doing for the hundo.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Exactly.

Latest posts

Back