Was it just a fever?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had the hots to buy a STIHL FS250R line trimmer. Did some research on it and checked around for the best price.

Also decided that I needed a new saw. Pretty much decided on the MS250.

Went to my local STIHL dealer to take another look at the FS250R. He used to have one in-stock. I was ready to buy it.

But, it had been sold. He did have a MS250 though. As I stood there, I felt kind of a cool chill sweep over me. I felt kind of dizzy for a minute, but then felt fine.

He asked me if I wanted him to order in a FS250R? I said no. Not quite sure why, but I felt good about my decision.

I kept thinking of my FS-44 trimmer that I already have, and how well it does what it does. As I stood there, looking at the MS250, it no longer had my interest.

I took a deep breath and told the guy, that I was good for the time being, and would get back to him if something changed.

I left with over $1200.00 in $100.00 bills, still tucked neatly away in my wallet.

I'm thinking that it must have been STIHL fever. :dizzy:

Haha like buck fever. Coming out of the woods empty handed.

No, you just got buyers remorse before you even bought it.

Happens to me as well. I get all hopped up over a major purchase (that 9 times out of 10 I really don't need), go to buy it, and then at the last minute think how I really shouldn't buy it since I don't need it and the one I have already is more than adequate blah blah blah.

I buy it anyways.

That feeling usually remains after I crush a 12 pack later on in the day. At that point I think it's the coolest thing ever and that I should have got the next model up.

It is completely overkill for 99.9% of the people who use a trimmer.

However, had you been able to put it to some tall grass and listen to her sing, you'd have overcome the buyers remorse pretty quickly me thinks. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I didn't even have any plans to tell her. If I had decided to go with the purchase, the trimmer and saw would have just shown up in my garage w/o explanation.

That's just how I roll. :D

I never plan to tell, but I usually screw myself by leaving the manuals laying around, then she catches on. :help:

That is also where having an organized garage screws me as well. If it was a mess, it would be hard to tell what has been added. :msp_angry:

I never plan to tell, but I usually screw myself by leaving the manuals laying around, then she catches on. :help:

That is also where having an organized garage screws me as well. If it was a mess, it would be hard to tell what has been added. :msp_angry:

My over-sized garage is actually more of a shop than it is a garage. And, for the most part, it is always clean and very organized.

If I left it sloppy and messy, she'd know that I was up to something, and then she'd start looking around.

Oh i do that kind of things too. Decide to buy something. Check it out, change my mind. With visa and internet that can get expensive sometimes, because there are so many things to check out and I don't always change my mind, especially if i find a good deal. And there are a lot of good deals going around lol.

Anyways lately i find myself not buying things more often and its good. Sleep it over and often you find that you can live with a 25cc weed whacker just as good as with the 40cc one. That 3 times a year when it would actually make a difference and i would save 1hr probably aren't worth $500.

On the other hand, if it makes you happy and you can afford it, and you still want it after sleeping it over... why not? :)

Oh i do that kind of things too. Decide to buy something. Check it out, change my mind. With visa and internet that can get expensive sometimes, because there are so many things to check out and I don't always change my mind, especially if i find a good deal. And there are a lot of good deals going around lol.

Anyways lately i find myself not buying things more often and its good. Sleep it over and often you find that you can live with a 25cc weed whacker just as good as with the 40cc one. That 3 times a year when it would actually make a difference and i would save 1hr probably aren't worth $500.

On the other hand, if it makes you happy and you can afford it, and you still want it after sleeping it over... why not? :)

As I've grown older, it's become easier and easier to take my time and make good, sound decisions.

I'm retired, saving money and planning as I go along. Besides, my STIHL FS-44 trimmer has served me faithfully for over 14 years now. Believe it or not, it still looks as good as the very day I bought it. It gets fully cleaned after each and every use. Gas gets drained out, I start it up and run it til it dies. That's the way I am with all my power equipment.

Im 24 so i have the opposite problem, and my reasoning is I should buy stuff now and use it while i can. With any luck there should be plenty of chances to use the tools I get :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back