Washington Hot Saws MS660 Stage II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek9tim

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, a couple of weeks ago, Dean posted a pic of Tree Sling'r with a tree he dropped with his stage II 460, and some people mentioned that a 66 would be better suited to that size timber. I finally got a chance to drop a tree with the 42" bar on my WHS 660 this last weekend. The tree was a 48" Ponderosa snag. Let me tell you what, that saw pulls harder now with the 42" bar than it did before with the 36" bar, or than my old 7.7hp 066 did with a 36" bar. The thing straight rips, and I only have factory grind Oregon CJX chain on it. The whole backcut took 3 minutes, not bad considering I had to double cut, set wedges, and I was going slowly to make sure everything was going well. If I was cutting timber for production, this saw would make me a lot of money. I highly reccommend WHS's mods.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nope, the crew hasn't been sent yet, although we're next up on the rotation. I'm sure it won't be long. But, I pulled myself off the available list so I can get all my stuff squared away for moving to Idaho and my permenant seasonal job up there.

klickitatsacket said:
That area up there is some rough country. Real tough to fight fires in and the wind is always blowing. Takes a better man than me to want to go play in that game.

Agreed. I'm at work surfing AS right now waiting for a plane to get back so I can go home, so I've got it pretty easy tonight. I was just more alluding to the fact I miss wildland fire fighting, and didn't get my chance to come out west on a fire before I enlisted and was doing what I am now.

klickitatsacket said:
BTW, thank you for your service and to any one else who serves or who has served.

Thanks Dean. Alot of folks outright overlook the CG as being part of military. And no, I'm not in downtown Tikrit doging bullets, but we've got cutters over there, and most of our dirty work is done in a 30' hover over 20' seas pulling people out of the water. Other than with Katrina, you don't see that on NBC nightly news very often.

Thanks for saying thanks.

And as far as me fighting fires again, well the CG'll have me for another 11 years before I retire, and by then I'll be no match for the guys who'll then be my age now.

Jeff

Back