Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THIS!!
Sure the chain spends time spinning when mostly out of wood. Cutting limbs & cleaning up faces for instance. However the majority of the time it's not.. I would assume that any sawdust created catches a lot of such oil.
Not worried about it either way. The last time I ran used oil was years ago. Wasn't my saw, or my oil. The boss man makes the rules....
That former employer is now in his 80s with no signs of cancer.. No doubt that he has ingested many oils in many forms many times over many years...
Every time I visit this thread I think of the oil field. Lease operators get all kinds of exposure every day. They don't all succumb to cancer, either. At least not in the fields of sweet high gravity crude. That heavy sour crude is different, hydrogen sulfide!! Although I think that's a quicker demise..
A cancer cell takes 30 x the amount of sugar to grow over a normal cell. When I burn used motor oil I only eat one doughnut before work and have black coffee.

THIS!!
Sure the chain spends time spinning when mostly out of wood. Cutting limbs & cleaning up faces for instance. However the majority of the time it's not.. I would assume that any sawdust created catches a lot of such oil.
Not worried about it either way. The last time I ran used oil was years ago. Wasn't my saw, or my oil. The boss man makes the rules....
That former employer is now in his 80s with no signs of cancer.. No doubt that he has ingested many oils in many forms many times over many years...
Every time I visit this thread I think of the oil field. Lease operators get all kinds of exposure every day. They don't all succumb to cancer, either. At least not in the fields of sweet high gravity crude. That heavy sour crude is different, hydrogen sulfide!! Although I think that's a quicker demise..
Try 5 minuets of breathing it renders you unconscious. Worked on a few frack sites that had hydrogen disulfide coming out of the wells. They flew different colored flags to denote the concentration. Had to carry these re breathers around with us incase a large pocket came out. Nasty stuff. Smelled like rotten eggs for miles around the site.

Try 5 minuets of breathing it renders you unconscious. Worked on a few frack sites that had hydrogen disulfide coming out of the wells. They flew different colored flags to denote the concentration. Had to carry these re breathers around with us incase a large pocket came out. Nasty stuff. Smelled like rotten eggs for miles around the site.
Lots of ways to die out there!

No, its not rocket science, but the drooling dumb phuqs can't wrap their minds around it.
every other sentence you have to resort to insults and childish behavior.... need i go on? It just shows that you know you have lost the argument, that people are not going to listen to you, so you go into insult mode attempting to regain control of the discussion.... sorry we have better things to do.

When a battery saw can replace a 60cc saw and run all day on a handful of batteries, no one will be worried about exhaust fumes.
sorry I watched a japanese crew form the electric company try that just last week.... they carry more cases of batteries then I do of gas chains and oils. no thanks.

every other sentence you have to resort to insults and childish behavior.... need i go on? It just shows that you know you have lost the argument, that people are not going to listen to you, so you go into insult mode attempting to regain control of the discussion.... sorry we have better things to do.
Just stating facts.

sorry I watched a japanese crew form the electric company try that just last week.... they carry more cases of batteries then I do of gas chains and oils. no thanks.
Pretty sure thats what I just said. When you can go all day on a handful of batteries we won't have to worry about exhaust fumes. No one in their right mind would take cases of batteries with them.

Pretty sure thats what I just said. When you can go all day on a handful of batteries we won't have to worry about exhaust fumes. No one in their right mind would take cases of batteries with them.
I in Ontario, Quebec right now on a job, what's going on with the ban on gas power equip in California?
I also heard NY was trying to ban sale of firewood and natural gas appliances.....Prob should start a thread......

best substitute i ever had for bar oil is transmission fluid, used synthetic is up on the block, been stretched albeit...need sawyers with experience to share results they've had, can't wreck anything dont think anyways...

I in Ontario, Quebec right now on a job, what's going on with the ban on gas power equip in California?
I also heard NY was trying to ban sale of firewood and natural gas appliances.....Prob should start a thread......
Think it's no new sales of 50cc and under or something to that extent. And if I recall correctly the "ban" is already in courts. I'd have to look them up to see whats going on at this point.

Think it's no new sales of 50cc and under or something to that extent. And if I recall correctly the "ban" is already in courts. I'd have to look them up to see whats going on at this point.
I see the offshore Stihl 070 for about $380 and the 090 comparative. I wonder who will tell the Chinese they can't sell them in North America?

I see the offshore Stihl 070 for about $380 and the 090 comparative. I wonder who will tell the Chinese they can't sell them in North America?
Don't know how credible this is, it says everything 25hp and under is getting banned.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42744/california-is-banning-small-engines-heres-what-it-means
Some of the NY madness.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wk...ssil-fuel-powered-heating-equipment?_amp=true
https://wyrk.com/heating-with-firewood-in-new-york/

in the UK fireplaces have to be approved and permitted. My buddy that heats with wood does not have 200A so not only will he need to change out his appliances he will need to rewire the house to use elctric.

in the UK fireplaces have to be approved and permitted.
Idk what the laws are now. When we bought our place the insurance company was worried about the wood furnace being UL listed and installed properly. As far as I know neither my state, county or Municipality care so long as it's up to national fire code.

Idk what the laws are now. When we bought our place the insurance company was worried about the wood furnace being UL listed and installed properly. As far as I know neither my state, county or Municipality care so long as it's up to national fire code.
You may have seen my earlier post about Vevor heaters and hydraulic oil. The UK is buying them up like mad to heat houses. Mine is a bit noisy. Fine for a shop, easier than wood.

From a fellow Canuck. You are living behind the times......which is the curse of being Canadian. We get everything later than current. No one is banning anything. You heard? from where? Consider the source, and if its on the web, it could be a 12 yr. old keyboard warrior....

best substitute i ever had for bar oil is transmission fluid, used synthetic is up on the block, been stretched albeit...need sawyers with experience to share results they've had, can't wreck anything dont think anyways...
I'm with ya, have been using tran fluid for 30 years+ with 4 vehicles to change fluid in, I don't run out. I mix it with STP in ratios that reflect the temps I'm working in from -20 to 100 deg F.
Tran fluid is an excellent lubricant for drilling and tapping.

Latest posts

Back