Water for Boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new, and would like some advice. I have converted my house from forced air to boiler and solar in small building and hydronic heat. just finishing up the install. Huge job!

There is "Pet Friendly" automotive antifreeze available near me. When you read the ingredients it is Propylene Glycol, with corrosion inhibitors, lubricants, etc. There is no ethylene glycol.

Seems this would be perfect for freeze and corrosion protection in my system.

Any info ?

Robby

Oh, it's $19.99 a gallon.

Because my system is wood boiler and solar, the solar part is out in freezing temperatures, and all night without sun. So I need antifreeze. My domestic water tank has two coils, 1 for solar and 1 from boiler. In case there springs a leak, the antifreeze must be safe. Thats why I am looking.

Thanks,

Robby

Sounds pretty expensive. I'd call around to heating supply houses or chemical distributors, like Slack Chemical, and try to buy it by the barrel.

depends on what mixture ratio you want for protection. ie: most cars use a 50/50 mixture.

you'll have to determine how many gallons of water is in your system first.

if you have solar panels that will have water in them and exposed outside, you will definately need some protection.

however, why buy the expensive "pet safe" type? your water should never be accessible to any pets. most often, that type is used in places such as campers or motor homes. i doubt your pets, or any other animal, is going to be drinking your boiler water.

many people have to mix anti-freeze in their systems because often pipes run in unheated areas such as crawl spaces or along block walls.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I am new, and would like some advice. I have converted my house from forced air to boiler and solar in small building and hydronic heat. just finishing up the install. Huge job!

There is "Pet Friendly" automotive antifreeze available near me. When you read the ingredients it is Propylene Glycol, with corrosion inhibitors, lubricants, etc. There is no ethylene glycol.

Any info ?

Robby

My dad put it in his OWB that he uses for his shop. Had to buy two 55 gal drums but seems to be working OK

My dad put it in his OWB that he uses for his shop. Had to buy two 55 gal drums but seems to be working OK

holy smokes!! how many gallons of water did he have to treat???

a 50/50 mix ratio will treat water well below freezing temps.

I put 165 gallons of no-burst in my c.b.That treats it to I think5 below.Also has anti rust additive already in it.In 3 years,the nitrite test is good and have not had to add any thing else.also have not had to add any water either.No-burst is a non toxic boiler antifreeze.Remember that the more you put in ,the less heat transfer you will have.

however, why buy the expensive "pet safe" type? your water should never be accessible to any pets. most often, that type is used in places such as campers or motor homes. i doubt your pets, or any other animal, is going to be drinking your boiler water.

many people have to mix anti-freeze in their systems because often pipes run in unheated areas such as crawl spaces or along block walls.

Well I cheaped out once.. My hydronic floor system developed a small leak.. Do you realize it only takes a teaspoon of antifreeze to kill a 400 dollar Scottish Terrier that was our beloved family pet? Buy the right stuff..Be safe

Well I cheaped out once.. My hydronic floor system developed a small leak.. Do you realize it only takes a teaspoon of antifreeze to kill a 400 dollar Scottish Terrier that was our beloved family pet? Buy the right stuff..Be safe

point taken.

but, do you have pipes exposed that could freeze that you had to add the anti-freeze?

safe anti-freeze

Hello All,

Any info ?

Robby

Use a one hundred percent mix of "70% isopropyl alcohol" right out of the barrel with no mixing if you want real protection, safe useage, absolute protection of the potable water supply, and your animals.

It can be bought in 55 gallon barrel quantities easily.

Since I have no knowledge of your plumbing- a sealed motor jet pump "should be" can be used to pump the alcohol into the system(to avoid a potential flash fire from an electric spark or an air operated diaphram pump.

leon :chainsaw: :dizzy: :givebeer: :confused:

Safety? Isn't isopropyl alcohol is flammable and toxic. Please don't give out mis-information that could kill someone, or a whole family for that matter. :check:

safety issues

Safety? Isn't isopropyl alcohol is flammable and toxic. Please don't give out mis-information that could kill someone, or a whole family for that matter. :check:

OK to stop this BS.

Alcohol is used in geothermal heat loops and has been for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:chainsaw: :givebeer: :jawdrop: :cheers: :dizzy:

Hello All,

Any info ?

Robby

did a little looking around and found this stuff:

cryo-tek February 2007 TM
ANTI-FREEZE for heating and cooling systems

http://www.herchem.com/specs/cryoteck.pdf

rather expensive and you will need to use a jet pump, as stated above, to get it in the system. i believe you have to drain all the water out and fill it completely with this stuff.

ouch.

only for Solar

I need only to use freeze protection on the solar loop portion of heating system. The boiler, etc is in a heated, by the boiler, building and the lines are buried 6 ft. down and covered by insulation foam.

The solar system has to out in the open, but I have evacuated tube system, not hooked up yet, and the whole system only holds maybe 10 gallons. The heat is transferred via a fluid to fluid exchanger. I can buy propylene glycol, but I have to pay shipping etc. This is local, and I thought if good for car system, good for my system.

We are doing our best to be self sufficient and get away from being held for ransom every year. Wood, just some sweat, solar just some one time money. I do hope the solar works as well as I hope.

Robby

Why not just run the pump 24/7 ? Its not going to freeze unless you live in the Artic. Sounds a lot cheaper and safer then the other suggestions.

:buttkick:

Back