water stove police in new york state

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leon

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well its done,

The wood NYSDEC burning police have
clamped down on outdoor water stoves
in New York State banning any new sales
of non compliant outdoor water stoves
after existing inventories are depleted
and requiring 18 foot stacks on new
installations.

YEEEE HAAAAAA!!!!!! the bad apples who burn
green wood, tires and garbage in their
outdoor boilers water stoves have now ruined
it for everyone. the first shot fired was when
Geneva New York banned the water stoves
after one was installed by a residence in the city
limits from what I remember a couple of years ago.

Makes me wonder if they will come after my indoor
boiler now as it is 29 years old.

They quoted a farmer or two saying the rule is too
restrictive.

The same stupid SOBs will be trying to burn green wood and used diapers in new, more expensive, compliant stoves as well, and the taller stacks will just get the black smoke a bit higher in the air before the inversion brings it back to earth in the neighbor's nose.

Hopefully there is an enforceable opacity callout on the smoke emitted, and local law can ticket as needed. Otherwise, we're all just dead men walking, regardless of species of burner.

People burning tires and the like is rediculous if that happens. The problem from my perspective is for every possibly legitimate complaint of "tire burning", you're gonna have some 15 or so miserable widows that dont have their husband to nag and disrupt anymore so they get off on calling the 'woodburning infraction report line.' So, as usual the government will keep pushing their way into everybody's buisness because people allow it. All under the guise of "reasonable" regulation.

Hopefully there is an enforceable opacity callout on the smoke emitted, and local law can ticket as needed. Otherwise, we're all just dead men walking, regardless of species of burner.

I think that your last sentence sums up the future of wood burning.

People burning tires and the like is rediculous if that happens. The problem from my perspective is for every possibly legitimate complaint of "tire burning", you're gonna have some 15 or so miserable widows that dont have their husband to nag and disrupt anymore so they get off on calling the 'woodburning infraction report line.' So, as usual the government will keep pushing their way into everybody's buisness because people allow it. All under the guise of "reasonable" regulation.

I wouldn't base public policy on some extreme possibly worst-case scenario. I would expect enforcement folks to be able to recognize some such crank on sight.

Whatever we do has impact on many others, more so as world population grows. "A man's gotta know his limitations." (Harry Callahan)

Funny how everyone has some sacred cow they want "government" to ignore, citing "big government intrusion." But they don't respect others' "cattle." E.g.: social conservatives.

I think this is just the first step in what will be a long line of government intrusions on our life. lets face it, whether it being federal,state, or local government, none of them want us to be self reliant no matter what the topic is. Government encourages us to squeal on each other any time we perceive a wrong doing or an intrusion on our private property, whether its smoke from a wood burning appliance, or a dog on the loose.

Gone are the days when you had a problem with your neighbor you would simply step next door and have a word with him. A reasonable man would understand that burning wet diapers and tires in his appliance was causing a ruckus next door, and would refrain from the act. Neighbors would part on peaceful terms and the problem would be solved.

Now government encourages us to pick up a phone and file an anonymous complaint. The cops show up, ticket the offender, and the guy is left wondering who in the hell squealed on him and caused him to lose a weeks pay. Vindictiveness sets in, and other acts follow out of retaliation. Before long, the only entity that benefits from all this is the coffers of the local government as acts are ticketed, and fines increase.

The majority of all this could be avoided. We could avoid codes,tickets, violations, and out right banning if we would all practice the golden rule, "Do unto others as we would have them do unto us" but we no longer subscribe to that. At least, the majority of man kind no longer does. If we saw tons of black smoke billowing into our neighbors yard from our tire fire, we would realize we wouldn't like it either and quite. If we had a quiet conversation with a neighbor about his practice of playing his electric guitar at 2am and he realized he wouldn't like being kept up, the problems would dissolve.

Sad to say, I am no better. A neighbor called the fire department a month ago and claimed that my brush pile was out of control. They showed up, took a look at my fire, and advised some caution, but admitted that I had every right to burn my pile. When the wind shifted over to his place, I retaliated by heaping every wet chunk of rotted wood I had on the fire and grinned when I saw the smoke roaring up his hill and enveloping his house.

In retrospect, it was pretty childish on my part. I felt annoyed and vengeful that instead of coming down the hill and taking a look at what i was burning, they elected instead to cause a ruckus with authorities. A simple conversation could have avoided an entire day of his place being engulfed in black smoke, but he elected to take the low road and attempted to embarrass me. In the end, I realized I was no better than he was.

I think this is just the first step in what will be a long line of government intrusions on our life...

Gone are the days when you had a problem with your neighbor you would simply step next door and have a word with him...Neighbors would part on peaceful terms and the problem would be solved.

This is a free country, and I have the licenses, permits, tax stamps, and receipts to prove it. :biggrin:

A few weeks ago, my neighbor's cows got out. "Proper protocol" would probably be to call the county animal control. Instead, I rounded them up and put them in my unused field. I called him, told him what had happened, and offered to let them stay there as long as he needed, and help fix his fence if he wanted me to. Heck, it saves me having to mow that field for a few weeks. About a week after, I was getting ready to set the posts for a pole barn I'm building. He gave me the key to a nice TN 75 tractor with a 10" auger, said to just bring it back when I got finished.

Somehow, things seem simpler when people just deal with people. Glad I have good neighbors. :msp_thumbup:

Gone are the days when you had a problem with your neighbor you would simply step next door and have a word with him. A reasonable man would understand that burning wet diapers and tires in his appliance was causing a ruckus next door, and would refrain from the act. Neighbors would part on peaceful terms and the problem would be solved.

ha. had a problem with barking dogs 24/7. you think the guy would be more understanding? nope. it ended up in a 15 year war between us until he finally moved. now i hate barking dogs.

people are funny about certain things. dogs, like kids, can do no wrong in the owner's eyes, but everyone has to remember, only you love your dogs and kids....everyone else thinks they are bothersome and total brats.

Now government encourages us to pick up a phone and file an anonymous complaint. The cops show up, ticket the offender, and the guy is left wondering who in the hell squealed on him and caused him to lose a weeks pay. Vindictiveness sets in, and other acts follow out of retaliation. Before long, the only entity that benefits from all this is the coffers of the local government as acts are ticketed, and fines increase.

technically, or, rather legally, you have the right to always know who your accuser is...even if they called 911, you can find out who made the call.

as for the OP, my town passed a similar ordinance a couple years ago. too many people were smoking out their neighbors. at a time when people whine about cigarette smoke, surely you don't think they're going to ignore wood smoke too?

the town even passed an ordinance about having a windmill. the blades can't be within 50 feet of the property line.

As I approach the mid-way point of my 6th decade, I can say without a doubt that I have had a GUTFULL of having other people deciding what is good or not good for me, and that they are certainly much more qualified to do my thinking for me.

I have always subscribed to the work hard, honor your obligations, and help your fellow man if you can, ethic. 15 or 20 years ago I noticed a big change in the values on how life was to go. All of a sudden a segment of society decided that we all must be regulated and "herded" for our own good. Well to that I say B.S.. So in 1982 I packed up and headed north 500 miles to an area that was much like it was 20 to 30 years ago, where life was still pretty simply as I had come to know it. Now the same crap is starting to happen here.
All I can say is that I lived during the better times. I wouldn't want to be 20 years old again, no way. If this is progress, then by all means enjoy it if you must..............................

Back