watersprouts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david miller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
forgive me if this is a stupid ? do watersprout have a branch protection zone or have some way to CODIT. books Ive read are very veage on this. the reason I ask is on tree that have vigorous sprouting IE due to over pruning or storm damage, hat racking. Removing multiple sprouts
this open wounds threw out the tree not counting pruning. and do sprout aid the tree at all in nutrition, photosynthesis. I know of selective removal but on some trees this can be tough because they grow so thick

It the natural defense mechanism for most trees to sprout like crazy when topped or heavily pruned, or even injured. You figure trees eat sunlight(photosynthesis). That tree turns sunlight into food using its leaves. Just like us if were starving. It wants to eat. It fears for its life and shoots out uncontrolled growth everywhere. The bark of the tree that has always been shaded is now exposed to the damages of the sun. The tree needs to cover its self to prevent sunburn, just like we would if placed buck naked in the desert.
Each leaf in the canopy that was exposed to the sun now has to be replaced on a small trunk. The balance has been lost, and survival takes over.
That is an over simplification, but more or less what is happening. Cutting these sprouts while small heal easily, The main injury is the problem. Some trees like mulberry's form calluses(compartmentalization?) Selective pruning and rehab should go slowly over a few years so the tree can eat and cover its self. Most these water sprout are so weakly attached I don't think theres to much that needs to compartmentalize. Beastmaster

You will get better results if you do a search for "pruning epicormic shoots."

ok now I understand alot better epicormic and adventitious shoot. i understand the tree trying to protect it self. like during a injury the bud become unsurpress.but when the tree is receiving to much direct sun light what cause the release of these buds is it a hormone, heat or light. I take it the tree trying to keep from receiving to much direct sun light

I don't believe there is a specific mechanism(hormonal or other)caused by the tree trying to shade or protect it's bark from sunscald.
Its still tied in with the reaction of the injury (ie: topping, over pruning ,storm damage) The two kind of go hand in hand I think. Trees do react to direct and indirect sun by growing bigger or small or thicker or thinner leaves to maximize photosynthesis.
I am not an expert.(but I try to act like one on the internet) Beastmaster

Last edited:
you sound pretty smart to me. I was just reading that a tree all of a sudden start to receive to much sun light I.E another tree next to it was removed that might have been shadeing it. it could release these buds but didnt explain why.just wondering if the epidermis or cuticle can fill burn like skin or is it the tree taking advantage of photosynthesis. { I can read all the books in the world on tree bio but somtimes I need it to be explain to understand} just like back in school

I see a lot of sun damage on certain kinds of trees that have been overly pruned. Oaks come to mind. It can take years sometime for the tree to grow in and sun damage can happen in one summer. In cases of lion-tailing the tree will burn on the inside, and grow most its growth on the ends. That is what I basing my thoughts on that sunburn won't stimulate dormant buds to grow.
The sun damage can have long term negative effects on the tree.
You have me curious now. Beastmaster

Some tree species (not all) have dormant buds under the bark. When exposed to light, usually due to over pruning (and other stresses) the extra light stimulates the hormones (auxins) in the apical meristem of the bud, causing it to grow. Its well defined in the ISA study guide.

Just a though on how you might form the right questions to be asking so you can get the answers you want
Books will tell you the chemistry and the pressures in different parts of a tree when the is in equilibrium.

Now the tree has lost a large amount of canopy.

List the changes.

The chemical output of the leaves will be down and be in short supply.

Do the normal chemicals still get produced if all of the amounts are wrong?

Roots will still be pumping flat out and it will be out of equilibrium what the leaves are able to pump out.

Thk for all the great answer. I {think} I understand, auxin will regulate growth and also suppress these dormant bud and if a tree is not receiving enough light it can enlarge it leaf surface area or photo trope. and if it receiving to much light I STILL DONT KNOW so conclusion watersprout, sucker, epicormic shoots no matter what happening to the tree I.E over pruning, damage I guess the tree trying to say somthing not right here, so I think what I really wanted to know if a tree has alot of sprouts and removing to many will this just keep stimulating growth of these sprouts

conclusion watersprout, sucker, epicormic shoots no matter what happening to the tree I.E over pruning, damage I guess the tree trying to say somthing not right here, so I think what I really wanted to know if a tree has alot of sprouts and removing to many will this just keep stimulating growth of these sprouts

Yes too much off makes more grow--Head of the class! :bowdown:

Hormones, hydraulics, and heliotropism all contribute to sprouting.

Best to hold off til sprouting slows, then remove ~1/3/year--gilman et al.

Try to train the ones best suited to dominate as permanent branches.

Pics really help.

Back