WB 028 running poorly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eba1225

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys,

I have an 028 that I got from a friend that he gave to me because it stopped working for him. He said it just started to bog down one day and finally quit and he could not start it again. He took it to the shop and they said it was not prudent to fix it as the parts were too expensive. So I wound up with it. :)

Since then I have taken it to a shop, got the same answer but at least they were a little more specific and said it was the carb. and that the spark was weak. I then took it upon myself to rebuild the carb (carb kit) and then replaced the coil. Well that allowed me to start the saw and run at idle relatively well. The issue is that when I throttle up to high speed it bogs down and quickly dies. I have noticed that when I run the air filter get wet with gas, running without air filter the handle get soaked from gas spitting out from the carb.

I have tried to adjust the H mixture screw but does not seem to be having much luck, granted my adjustments were relatively coarse 1/4 turn at a time.

I have taken off the muffler and the cylinder looks good.

I have tried the "Hold the Starter Cord drop test" and found that the saw starts to drop immediately when supported only by the cord, but there is resistance to dropping when it is into the compression stroke.

What do you guys think? rings shot? carb needs adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:dizzy:

Erik

your carb is getting tooo much gas, it the thingy under the diapram which lets the gas run through the carb. is not set correctly. you know the lever thingy, w/ the spring under it...i should not drink and type

Thanks for the info.

Have not done a compression test.

The 'thingy' under the diapham, I gues it is a matter of trial and error to find the proper setting (height), right.
:(

Erik

Thanks for the link but I had this already. The only thing that I can figure is that the Inlet Needle is not seating when the Inlet control lever is set to where it should be. I will reexamine.

I have rebuilt the carb and have little change in how it runs, thinking it may be the compression. Ordered a compression tester, but trying to get some advance diagnostics first.

Can you guys tell me the symptoms of a saw that has a low compression.
Will it run? if so will it have power?

Thank for the input.
Erik

Bogging when you accelerate isn't compression.

If you have a points model, check or replace your condensor, and clean/adjust the points.

Impulse line? Fuel line leak?

Don't sweat the fuel spitback - they all do, and get worse as the piston skirt wears.

Last edited:
When you re-done the carb was there anything in the main jet Screen? If so check the filter in the tank. Pull off the end of the(filter) and look to see if the internal filter (foam) has disentagrated.

All of the lines are good, there was nothing in the screen. I even tried it with another carb and it still runs poorly. It spits fuel out of the carb. I usually can figure these out pretty quickly but this one has got me beat.

Erik

Thanks for the support on the #8. Am looking into the points and condenser. Will let you know the outcome.

Last edited:
I took my 029 to the shop, the man there replaced the fuel line and impuls line, one of them did have a small hole in it. closed the high speed jet 1/2 turn and cleaned the screen in the muffler.
Now it runs like brand new.
It still has a very small amout of fuel comming out of the carb at max speed with the air filter off, but it is more like a wisp than a spray.
It is not noticable with the air filter on and the cover back in place, my hand is not wet with fuel like it was before.
Total repair time was about 15 minutes, would have been less, but you know how us old people are, talk, talk, takl:)
like lakeside53 said see post no#8

Last edited:
I wanted to give guys an update to this.

I looked at my existing points and they looked fine. The condencer looked fine but wasn't sure on how to test it. I decided to replace the point and condenser with an electronic system.

Got the new electronic system in Wed put it in and had to wait until yesterday to test.

Well the saw fired up on the first pull and reved up with no hesitation and idled as expected:) . I then went to the wood pile and found an 18" piece of popular and let the wood have it, well the saw ripped through it 15 secs with no hesistation or bogging down :greenchainsaw:.

Looks like I have a new best friend in my "free" 028.

There is one little concern that I have, once I have cut through a couple pieces the saw comes down to a rough idle and usually stalls if I do not goose it to keep it running. Any suggestions on that issue, stalling once warm:confused: . But it does start right back up without issue. Carb setting?

Thank you all for the advice on the saw.

Erik

Just wanted to give you guys a closure to this. Turned the "L" screw in 1/4 of a turn and the saw runs perfectly. :greenchainsaw: Thank you all for all of your help and suggestions.

It is great having a second saw.:)

Got the new electronic system in Wed put it in and had to wait until yesterday to test.

Erik

Where did you get the electronic ignition from? I have an 028 that has the same problems as yours, I just haven't got around to fixing it yet.

Latest posts

Back