We are all in the wrong business!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
got a catalog today I think it was random you guys gotta check out plowandhearth.com their cat. sells something they call "fatwood" its in a nice little canvas bag that is ecologically freindly cuz its harvested from pine stumps that would otherwise rot and you can get your "fatwood" aka pine stump wood for only about $1.00 per pound!! What a deal :jawdrop: marketing at its best!! Imagine what we all could sell our SUPERFATWOOD aka real hardwood for!! Check it out:dizzy:

$1.00 a pound for kindling ? and to think I am giving it away. A few cubic feet per cord from splitting so I don't have to throw it away.

Yip gonna have to start selling that stuff instead. Of course it won't be made from pine stumps.

Yep your right!! My bad still a bit crazy though. Then again kerosine isn't cheap either!! Should have looked a bit closer before posting sorry...

No really, what some people will buy these days is absolutely surprising. A solid chunk of firewood will produce several pounds of this and they are cashing in on it. Who would have thought ? !

Wally World sells the same stuff, they promote it as a fire starter. My understanding is that it lights with a match and one piece will burn for about 20 mins. I've thought about getting some to help the LOML light the woodstove, but can't bring myself to pay that much for a couple of pounds of wood.

Anybody that lives in the south where Southern Yellow Pine grows can find this stuff in the woods. I lived here for about a year before someone told me about it and I started using it. For whatever reason, some pine trees produce a lot of pitch(maybe stress?) and after they die or are cut the outside of the tree/stump wiil rot away and what is left is pitchwood,fatwood, rich pine or lighter wood. It looks like rotten junk, but if you saw or chop into it you will find a yellow or brown colored, turpentine smelling wood. The pitch preserves the wood and it lasts forever? If you are in a woods that has not been picked over, this stuff is everywhere.

All in all its a good idea for firestarter wood I use pine for the same thing but wow is that alot for kindling but I could see where people would buy it it is all in the marketing and presentation!! thanks for all the replys

Yep, John E. nailed it, we called it "Lighter Pine". Some trees were loaded with it & it can be picked up on top of the ground after the rest of the tree rotted away. We were taught as kids to collect the stuff, which was always used to start the campfires & fireplaces. Amazing stuff & very flammable. Just thinking about it i can smell it.
Funny thing, most of the time camping or hunting with diferent folks(especially Yanks), when the subject comes up, they look at me like i'm telling a Snipe story. So, after collecting a few knobs, splitting one, let them smell it, then put a match to it, they just sit there in wonderment:) . We have more white pine & jack pine here in E TN, so i don't find as much here as i did in my youth in southern Louisiana.

Ah, there ain't nothing like a good camfire(started with Lighter Pine) in cool weather with good company, a cigar & a southern sipping whiskey(Rebel Yell, George ####le...etc)....but i digress:arg:

RD

Thanks for stirring up the memory Irish!

Note:Strange site editing of a really great whiskey. How about George W. D I C K L E?

Last edited:
Fat lighter is definitely not garden variety kindling. Simply touch fire to a small split of it and it instantly bursts into an intense flame that is very hot, smoky and long lasting. It's called "fat" wood because the resin bubbles and boils like fat in a pan. Lighter wood from the center of large old longleaf pine taproots can literally burn like a blowtorch. The best stuff is is very nasty to handle as it will turn your hands black. A 16x3" stick of it, split down small and properly stored, is enough lighter wood to start my stove fires for several years.

Someone gave me some last year and it does work great. I don't think I would ever pay that much for kindling when I produce it for free while I split wood.

LL Bean, 35lb box for $39.95 I believe...free shipping possible.
But I do believe its imported from Central America!:jawdrop:
As if there aren't enough old pine stumps here in the U.S. of A.:dizzy:

I still have several large chunks of fatlighter from a fallen pine that was dug up years ago.

Yep, John E. nailed it, we called it "Lighter Pine". Some trees were loaded with it & it can be picked up on top of the ground after the rest of the tree rotted away. We were taught as kids to collect the stuff, which was always used to start the campfires & fireplaces. Amazing stuff & very flammable. Just thinking about it i can smell it.
Funny thing, most of the time camping or hunting with diferent folks(especially Yanks), when the subject comes up, they look at me like i'm telling a Snipe story. So, after collecting a few knobs, splitting one, let them smell it, then put a match to it, they just sit there in wonderment:) . We have more white pine & jack pine here in E TN, so i don't find as much here as i did in my youth in southern Louisiana.

Ah, there ain't nothing like a good camfire(started with Lighter Pine) in cool weather with good company, a cigar & a southern sipping whiskey(Rebel Yell, George ####le...etc)....but i digress:arg:

RD

Thanks for stirring up the memory Irish!

Note:Strange site editing of a really great whiskey. How about George W. D I C K L E?

Digress some more.A lot of people here are up against harsh Winters soon, and you paint a pretty picture.
Just one Yanks opinion.

LL Bean, 35lb box for $39.95 I believe...free shipping possible.
But I do believe its imported from Central America!:jawdrop:
As if there aren't enough old pine stumps here in the U.S. of A.:dizzy:

I still have several large chunks of fatlighter from a fallen pine that was dug up years ago.

marketing at it's best.

perhaps thinking you're buying something erotic from a central american country would sell better than buying it from the USA.

can't condemn someone for their marketing skills.....gotta blame the consumer.

marketing at it's best.

perhaps thinking you're buying something erotic from a central american country would sell better than buying it from the USA.

can't condemn someone for their marketing skills.....gotta blame the consumer.

ive never seen anything erotic in my ll bean catalog you must get a different issue than me:confused:

took walk outback real quick found these sure its what you guys are talking about.old timer told me to use as kindling realy gets the fire going quick he said they are from pine trees that fell years ago and the tree rotted away but where the branches come off the trunk they dont rot. i do no they burn hot

Kindling is a pain! When you run out of it that is. So is having to keep a constant supply of it on hand. Try a mapp gas torch. I build my fire, hit it with the torch about 20 to 30 seconds-instant fire. Allows me to light fires without as much of the little stuff-alot less. Time saver more than anything. Last year I'd leave a trailer at the cabinet shop and they'd just fill it with end cuts that works well too.. Speaking of kindling, I've got more splitting to do!:cheers:

Motorseven;
I think you know how to enjoy those little pleasures in winter. I wholeheartedly agree. But I prefer sippin Southern Comfort by the campfire. A gentle breeze its about 35degrees and a nice big fire and good friends to solve the worlds problems. Don't get any better.

I've sold kindling, and pitch (fatwood) for years. I probably get close to a buck a pound for it. There's a lot of work in purposly making kindling.
We all sell firewood to a customer who likes convenience. If they didn't, they'd cut their own firewood. Don't miss the boat, sell kindling.

Andy

Latest posts

Back