We found a good hand tool Co.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My youngest son who splits a lot of wood by hand recently took a good sized chunk of Home Cheapo splitting wedge in the face. We know how to maintain such things by grinding and it was not mushroomed out. It was made of crap iron and fractured. In search of quality tools he found Counsil Tool online and ordered a sledge and wedges and they are the quality we would expect for hard use. Family owned and USA made, I plan on ordering more from them in the future.

Check them out here
http://www.counciltool.com/catalog.asp?pg=catalog

I had the same thing with those wedges only i threw them away before
anyone got hurt .The worst metal i have ever seen .i only use my plastic
for bucking and felling since the splitter is working .

I have a decent amount of experience with Council tools as it seems most every fire department has a fair complement of axes, picks and wildland tools on their trucks, and I've been VFD for almost 12 yrs.

However, I did NOT know that they made all that "other" stuff like regular axes, sledges, wedges and misc. forged tools. Looking at the prices - WOW - I imagine you get what you pay for though.

Maybe we can get them to recreate the Sotz Monster Maul... :)

FYI - if you go into the tool section of HD, as opposed to the garden section, I think they carry Estwing splitting wedges. I bought one and it's well machined and pretty sure it's USA made. Much better than the Made in India blobs of "steel" that pass for wedges on the other side of the store.

My youngest son who splits a lot of wood by hand recently took a good sized chunk of Home Cheapo splitting wedge in the face. We know how to maintain such things by grinding and it was not mushroomed out. It was made of crap iron and fractured. In search of quality tools he found Counsil Tool online and ordered a sledge and wedges and they are the quality we would expect for hard use. Family owned and USA made, I plan on ordering more from them in the future.

Check them out here
http://www.counciltool.com/catalog.asp?pg=catalog
Hope he's ok...Thanks for the link.:)

Latest posts

Back