Wear Gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wear Gloves

• Total voters
I am assuming that you mean while climbing. If so than I am saying no. Never have so I never got used to them. It feels strange to me to try to climb in gloves. I am wanting to get me a Micheal Jackson glove for rappelling tho... ;)

When I am doing pines I usually wear them. The aggravation of having to take them off every time you tie a knot is worth not getting your hands all tarred up with sap.

It's also important to wear them when doing palms :cry: ouch!

No cloves, no excuses...except cold. Gloves get in the way, and I always like knowing my hands are more adept at things than my lawyer's...were I to start climbing (going to be awhile the way things are going) I would say the same. I may improvise alot doing what I need to do, but gloves are pretty much an encuberance on the job if it isn't cold enough to warrent them. Justs a grunt's two cents.

You need a "sometimes" option on your poll.

I've started finding a few that are inexpensive, but fit well and let me operate all my biners, clips, etc fairly well. I'm wearing them more of the time now. but by no means all the time. But I usually take some up with me on the taller trees with longer raps back down. Or pine trees. Definitely helps in pine trees.

Since we're talking about while aloft,and no compromise answers were available,I voted hell no. I gots to feel them lines with me hands.

The exception to the rule would be while bombing pine chuncks from a spar.Even then,I end up taking at least one of them off in between cuts to set the lanyard and climbline friction hitches.

As for what kind? I usually pick up those cheapy joe blue denim and leather ones from wherever I find them .If you get more than one use out of em,you probably were'nt working hard enough.lol Try to keep some of them in the truck most of the time.
Love em on the ground for dragging,pushing ,and pulling.

I didn't vote because you didn't specify what activity is being preformed. I don't wear them hardly at all during the summer. I don't wear them in the shower,nor while reading the paper. Besides the poll used curse words that isn't allowed and they were used just to be used.

I wear gloves almost all the time, up the tree and on the ground.
I find the thin grippy gloves the best, you still get a pretty good feel for ropes and knots and biners with them and they keep my hands from getting all mashed up.
I climbed this week without them, worn out my last pair, I got cuts and dings on my palms, fingers, sore from the friction...I'd rather wear gloves, and for those that don't know, I'm a tree chick so its so not about having nasty knarly hands at the end of the week!

.....I'm a tree chick so its so not about having nasty knarly hands at the end of the week!

And I am sure your SO appreciates that! I know I would if my wife were a tree chick ;)

I'm in the mostly group, which isn't an option. I don't like doing the fine work in them but it makes me think ahead more about what I am doing so that I don't require the dexterity moves. I don't like that the nicer ones cost so much for how long they last. I'll have to try some of the cheap rubber coated gloves.

Last edited:
I' sure your hubby appreciates that Bermie. I don't want my girl's hands to be rougher than mine... :)

I do have a pair of grippy gloves in my ditty bag that I put in there over a year ago and have yet to use in the tree one time. I bought them to use in Pines and paper bark River Birch because I always get little paper cuts in those types of trees. I keep forgetting to break them out and wear them though.

I have a half dozen pairs of gloves in the truck for my guys to use on the ground and have three other personal pairs that I keep for working the ground and ropes/throw line.

You don't have a "sometimes" option. I only wear gloves when it's real cold, when I'm feeding something "prickly" into the chipper or when I'm climbing or cutting up something thats got a lot of poison ivy on it. They're annoying otherwise.

I said yes.. but realistically it is only sometimes. Depends on what I am doing, and species of tree, and time of year..

Find for some things they just get in the way.. but some work can be done fine with them on.

You don't have a "sometimes" option. I only wear gloves when it's real cold, when I'm feeding something "prickly" into the chipper or when I'm climbing or cutting up something thats got a lot of poison ivy on it. They're annoying otherwise.
This sums up my approach. May-October seldom wear em cuz sweat and gloves don't get along for me.

Besides, I like to not only touch but *feel* trees.

I cannot climb with any sort of bulky glove, even ugly gloves are too thick. I always use the atlas nitrile both in climbing and in most ground operations. They have wonderful dexterity and personal like having softer, moist hands. Only time I wear leathers is in heavy riggin and still keep the nitrile's as a base layer under them.

I wear nitrile gloves for all work-related tasks, including most jobs around my house. I'll throw a pair of coated gloves over those if I'm hauling brush or setting larger bull lines. My hands crack and bleed without gloves and I can see my skin separating at the fingerprint ridges if I try to do anything without them. I think that's because I lived in gloves, as a tattooist/body piercer for about fifteen years. I've always climbed in gloves.

Kevlar gloves when I'm cutting cause I'm safe. Regular gloves when I'm regular working, cause I'm a sissy.

Always when climbing. I buy black close fitting gloves. They have a bit of vibration dampening stuff in them as well. Nice for running a saw. I can easily tie a knot or just about anything else. Sometimes when cabling I'll take em' off for a bit. As my old foreman used to say your most valuable tools are your hands. Take care of them. Mike

Back