Wear marks/dings 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrafirma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My ebay 044 rat saw obviously has had a tough life and I thought I might be able to find out what type of abuse she's been through if I posted some pics. Despite it's rough shape, it continues to run like a top. The serial # starts with 123 so it's a 91-94 vintage based on findings on AS.

IMG_3020.jpg

What caused all the paint to wear off?? I presume it happened when it wasnt being used, ie. moving all around in the back of a truck or something.

IMG_3021.jpg

Little closer up.

IMG_3025.jpg

And these nicks? Looks like someone was trying to beat it with a scrench.

IMG_0263.jpg

Overall. Bar and dogs are new compared to everything else.

Looks pretty normal to me... for a well used saw.

Paint it not.. it wil cut the same! But, i suspect you'll be happier with paint ;).

Yea Its been pieced back together I noticed it has a 440 tank on it. But I agree just cut some wood. I would rather have an ugly saw thats been maintained well than a pretty one that been ran on straight gas or bad mix.

Maybe I was a little harsh. I can understand wanting your saw to look good too. But in time you will ding the heck out of it again. I believe in taking good care of tools, but I would just cut wood with it. :cheers:

The paint being worn off the side of the starter cover came from the operator holding the saw to his side alot. I wear the felling sights off my 440 all the time, I just highlight them with a black marker after awhile. And yes it does look like someone beat the top of the starter cover with a scrench. But overall it is in very good condition for a old 044, you're lucky! Nice saw!!!! Now go cut a lot of wood!!!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers:

Yuck. Way worse than the scratches and nicks, IT HAS THE STINKIN' NEW STYLE GAS CAP!!! Twinkle is getting scarred up from riding in the back of the pickup and I also scratch up the handle cuz I learned to start the saw with the foot in the handle and can't seem to do it any other way and I wear calks. One should really wear felt bottomed slippers when starting the saw this way, a pastel color of course. :) Or maybe I could put some protective purple duct/duck tape on for a protective layer.:greenchainsaw:
Looks like you will need a longer bar.:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I've had it a while now and it has paid for itself at least twice over. Being a starving (for beer) college student I needed something cheap but powerful for weekend jobs in the Vermont sticks.

Motor is getting tired...going to re-ring her pretty soon.

"Piss oak" rip. My foreman names trees based on their smell, not species. Can't argue with that logic.
IMG_0272.jpg

Last edited:
The paint being worn off the side of the starter cover came from the operator holding the saw to his side alot. I wear the felling sights off my 440 all the time, I just highlight them with a black marker after awhile. And yes it does look like someone beat the top of the starter cover with a scrench. But overall it is in very good condition for a old 044, you're lucky! Nice saw!!!! Now go cut a lot of wood!!!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers:

Could the marks be from the belt buckle?

How long have you had your ebay Rat? Doesn't matter how it looks, as long as it cuts.

Could the marks be from the belt buckle?

How long have you had your ebay Rat? Doesn't matter how it looks, as long as it cuts.

I don't know, maybe, I don't wear one though. I ususally just have my chaps and wedge pouch, they work as a good enough belt.lol!!!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap:

Yuck. Way worse than the scratches and nicks, IT HAS THE STINKIN' NEW STYLE GAS CAP!!! Twinkle is getting scarred up from riding in the back of the pickup and I also scratch up the handle cuz I learned to start the saw with the foot in the handle and can't seem to do it any other way and I wear calks. One should really wear felt bottomed slippers when starting the saw this way, a pastel color of course. :) Or maybe I could put some protective purple duct/duck tape on for a protective layer.:greenchainsaw:
Looks like you will need a longer bar.:biggrinbounce2:

Ha Ha Ha!!!!! good one slowp,,,,:cheers: Its all about what works best for you,,, I pick mine up by the rear handle and drop start,,, with longer bars I rest the bar tip on a root flare, stump, or limb whatever's available,,,,

It just limits some of the bending over and works for me ><>,,,,,,,:clap:

Back