Weaver cougar saddle ??'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom8726

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am in need of a new saddle and have been seriously considering the Cougar. I have been climbing with a real basic butt strap weaver for the last 8 years. I never liked the leg starps in my younger days but as I am getting a little older I am looking for some more comfort aswell as safety. My question is how you guys are setting up these rope bridge saddles? I am thinking a micro grab and locking beener? Or can you just attach a locking beener and use it like a full floating D? I asked a similar question on another sight because I want some info quick so I can put together an order tommorow hopefully. The stiching is coming apart on my old saddle, Hence the ASAP. Thanks in advance.

I just bought that Cougar saddle, it was the name that sold me. Cougar, GRRR!
No I just liked it. Its pretty much the same as a Komet but it has the same waist belt buckle as my old saddle which was a weaver. Easy in, easy out.
The rope bridge? Kinda skinny and the outer cover is allready showing some wear after a few weeks. Comfy though. And pretty cheap compared to others in its class, under 250, which is actually cheaper than anything in its class but the leg clasps are real swell and there is not any flimsy crap on it.
To describe it best I would say the bottom part is like Komet but the upper half is a G- Dam Weaver for sure.
I usually just walk in the store and take a few saddles home for the weekend when I shop for saddles. I thought the Cougar was just as good as all the others I had tried a few weeks ago but the name is kinda gay.
Man it is hard to look down at the thin rope bridge when you are up there and are use to big metal rings and tough leather and webbing. I just clip my biners right onto it- don't tell me I have use a pulley.

The micro grab,- beener combo might cut down on the wear and tear on the rope bridge? Originally I was thinking I would set it up like you did with just a Locking beener. Guess I will have to just order it and do a liitle experimenting. How is the feel of the beener on the rope bridge VS the older floating D on the weavers? Faster? I liked how the old floating 'D' held its position unless you wanted it to move.

The micro grab,- beener combo might cut down on the wear and tear on the rope bridge? Originally I was thinking I would set it up like you did with just a Locking beener. Guess I will have to just order it and do a liitle experimenting. How is the feel of the beener on the rope bridge VS the older floating D on the weavers? Faster? I liked how the old floating 'D' held its position unless you wanted it to move.

Yeah, she will yaw quickly on ya. Got used to it pretty quick.
I guess with a pulley on the bridge it going to move real fast and easy but I don't think I will use one... or 16.

Yeah, she will yaw quickly on ya. Got used to it pretty quick.
I guess with a pulley on the bridge it going to move real fast and easy but I don't think I will use one... or 16.

I was thinking about a micro grab so you could ajust it with one hand or just leave it fixed in the center. A pulley seems like it would move to freely. Right now I am just thinking aloud as I am so use to my old set-up its going to take some time getting use to anything new and diffferent. Just trying to get some ideas from other users of the rope bridge saddles.

I was thinking about a micro grab so you could ajust it with one hand or just leave it fixed in the center. A pulley seems like it would move to freely. Right now I am just thinking aloud as I am so use to my old set-up its going to take some time getting use to anything new and diffferent. Just trying to get some ideas from other users of the rope bridge saddles.

Oh, your are talking about useing a rope grab on the bridge? I guess that would work but not for me.
That what i like about the Cougar ( GRRR!) very comfy downstairs but just like my old one upstairs.
How much for you? I got mine at American Arborist for under 250. I tend not to mail order very much and I took this one from a shelf in a store.
I feel so lucky to have at least 4 good supply houses in the area. They know me well ( didn't say they liked me).

We do not have much for Arborist supply stores around here:( I will probably order through baily's, $239.00 if I remember correctly. We do have the woodsmen show in boonsville, N.Y. coming up soon but I need a saddle ASAP. Just a couple stitches coming apart on the old weaver but enough to have me concerned when I am dangling a 100' off the ground or 20' for that matter.

We do not have much for Arborist supply stores around here:( I will probably order through baily's, $239.00 if I remember correctly. We do have the woodsmen show in boonsville, N.Y. coming up soon but I need a saddle ASAP. Just a couple stitches coming apart on the old weaver but enough to have me concerned when I am dangling a 100' off the ground or 20' for that matter.

I have seen some nuts dangling off some pretty ragged saddles, I mean really ratty.
As long as this new Cougar holds up I think its a good deal.
My old, old weaver had some fraying which i thought to be bad so I got a new one pronto. I put the old one on a log and smacked it with an axe... nothing. The axe wasn't razor sharp but still... nothing.
I think you will like the cougar ( Grrr!)

I just got the Cougar after climbing on a basic weaver saddle for along time and I love it. 200 even from wespur!

Grrr... yeah the name's gay, lol. I gotta get a new one myself, not sure what direction I'm going in yet with that one. Oldirty saw my saddle "old brown" over the weekend, I sense I may be getting busted on for the old boy. I was thinking of the versatile with hdp roller, just to have something more modern around. Grrr.

I just got the Cougar after climbing on a basic weaver saddle for along time and I love it. 200 even from wespur!

What are you using on the rope bridge? Beaner? I also saw a petzl swivel that looks interesting for the rope bridge. I might just order a few different things and experiment untill I am happy.

Well, I have tried a few different things but right now I use a snap hook on the rope and an eye to eye and pulley on a beaner. I would love to know if anyone has a simpler set up. I would be interested to know how well the beaners on a swivel work out. It wouldnt make much of a difference unless both ends of the rope are one beaner.
Good Luck I would love to hear some other opinions on set ups. :) :)

:agree2:

I guess it hurts the same, just not as long!

It sounds like you're happy. Does weaver offer a saddle with something similar to a bostain seat, instead of a butt-strap ? It seems as though this would be good for my old bones .:)

I think that i've decided to order the Cougar saddle except i will use a Komet dragonfly batten seat, and an 18" steelcore lanyard for the bridge.

Back