Wedge Stacking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they making you use the technique on every tree? That seems pretty ridiculous if they are...

I use the technique on trees with a heavy back lean and it works well. Usually the tree would also have a rope in it with a 5:1 on the other end.

The wood between wedges does break out and lift. I can't say that I have used it on a tree over 36" in diameter since I haven't cut anything bigger than that in a few years but it does work well on smaller trees. Wedge stacking on smaller diameter trees can be challenging with a heavy back lean and this is a great way to do it.
Yep every tree, but hey nearly everything gol is ridiculous. Basically gol is an over-engineered way to fell small trees. 36" is average timber over here on the left coast. It's not that bore stacking wedges won't work, it just doesn't work very well. It takes a lot of extra force to break the wood between the vertical stacked bores. Why you would add extra resistance to a lifting wedge beyond retarded.

Basically a rope shouldn't be an excuse for garbage methods.

Yep every tree, but hey nearly everything gol is ridiculous. Basically gol is an over-engineered way to fell small trees. 36" is average timber over here on the left coast. It's not that bore stacking wedges won't work, it just doesn't work very well. It takes a lot of extra force to break the wood between the vertical stacked bores. Why you would add extra resistance to a lifting wedge beyond retarded.

That and the height of timber over here why make any harder then it needs to be, those guys have never beat over a 200 ft tree with no wind let alone some wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bwildered you throw the word wedges around pretty loosely. You could draw a parallel between wedges and man. Neither are created equally. Some packin' 5's, some 18's . Some are 5's some are 18's
Some are thick, some are thin
Some always work some work a little, some never worked.
They are as alike as murders and Saints man.

We have some unfinished biz...remember
You said you could probably show a pay slip or invoice of such back as far as my birth year.

Just a friendly reminder

Just because you have been living a while dosen't make you a Pørn star please don't forget...lol

Cheers

This is prolly a no-no, but on little back leaners I put in the back cut, bore a wedge depth/width pocket in the center of the back, start a wedge, put in an open face leaving generous holding wood, and wedge it over. Let's me get full wedge height without bottoming out
Just gotta watch yer corners. It easy to cut to much on small ones, then wedge them sideways off the stump.

Yeah, just hoping that maybe he'll figure out what kind of fellow he is. A little more and I'll put him in a camp of my own.
You won't get any answers or satisfaction out of him. He doesn't have any. This is the same route he took during the dutchman debate. The govt didn't like that either. The best you can do is string him along because his arguements become more and more transparent.

Hey at the very least we've really fleshed out why this technique sucks and explained better techniques. We need guys like him to come in here every so often to keep things going. Otherwise we pretty much know where we stand so conversations may not ever get this far. For the average joe reading this thread now, he can make an educated guess on what technique is more sound.

Exactly right. I've seen a lot of different wedging techniques over the years but the one you posted is by far the strangest.
I don't have a closed mind and I'm always up for learning new and better techniques but I also recognize that most of the traditional methods are still in use for a darn good reason...they work.
And on Bwildered's advice...If there are any of the newer guys reading this thread, please don't listen to anything the man has to say. He's just noise without knowledge.

Exactly right. I've seen a lot of different wedging techniques over the years but the one you posted is by far the strangest.
I don't have a closed mind and I'm always up for learning new and better techniques but I also recognize that most of the traditional methods are still in use for a darn good reason...they work.
And on Bwildered's advice...If there are any of the newer guys reading this thread, please don't listen to anything the man has to say. He's just noise without knowledge.
It's you hasbeens that have neverbeen that are handing out the advice, im just saying there is no good reason not to use the method where its recommended. Your egos won't let you see the difference. Just got to move & change with the times, which is hard for some & impossible for others. If you went logging in Brazil they would laugh us all out of town for wearing boots, a hard hat & hearing protection.
Thansk

It's you hasbeens that have neverbeen that are handing out the advice, im just saying there is no good reason not to use the method where its recommended. Your egos won't let you see the difference. Just got to move & change with the times, which is hard for some & impossible for others. If you went logging in Brazil they would laugh us all out of town for wearing boots, a hard hat & hearing protection.
Thansk

Why not come on out to my part of the country and demonstrate some of your ideas? I can get you onto a real logging job for a day or two and you can show some of the production fallers your technique.
We'll take video. Lots of video. I won't even tell the crew what your game is. I'll let them decide for themselves.
Bring your own boots and PPE. We can provide you with a saw and the rest of the tools.

Why not come on out to my part of the country and demonstrate some of your ideas? I can get you onto a real logging job for a day or two and you can show some of the production fallers your technique.
We'll take video. Lots of video. I won't even tell the crew what your game is. I'll let them decide for themselves.
Bring your own boots and PPE. We can provide you with a saw and the rest of the tools.
Might lose a saw and lots of wedges in the process is the bad part.

Ah, I doubt if he has the balls to do it. He probably wouldn't get out of the pickup when he saw the job. It's burn salvage, cow-face ground, and just generally a tough show all the way around.
Besides, as thin skinned as he is, when the guys heard him and watched him and started making fun of him he'd probably go into a snit and sulk until we got him back to town. Darn shame, though. I like to see the crew have something to laugh about now and then.
I'm out of here. See you guys tomorrow.

Ah, I doubt if he has the balls to do it. He probably wouldn't get out of the pickup when he saw the job. It's burn salvage, cow-face ground, and just generally a tough show all the way around.
Besides, as thin skinned as he is, when the guys heard him and watched him and started making fun of him he'd probably go into a snit and sulk until we got him back to town. Darn shame, though. I like to see the crew have something to laugh about now and then.
It's always fun having a green horn from town. I hate burn and blow down salvage but it has to be done.

They're not my ideas by the way & I would jump at the chance to do that, perhaps you could come & run my business of marketing & selling my sawn timber, learn to run my sawmill to cut tensioned HWD, cut, snig & log my land, plus cut the salvage up, split & deliver firewood solo while while I'm away, I even have PPE for you that you can keep as a souvenir, I hope you like lawyer vines, steep slippery country, leeches, ticks, bullants, deadly snakes & spiders, heat, humidity & torrential rain on a good day. I hope you're fit & not a smoker because ill leave you with an 090 with a 30" bar & that could kill you just trying to wield it all day.
I'm just a hasbeen that's stillbeing.
Thansk

It sounds like your talking from experience, not every body has been self taught & learned the hard dangerous way by being given a saw & told to "go n cuttem down"

It sounds like your talking from experience, not every body has been self taught & learned the hard dangerous way by being given a saw & told to "go n cuttem down"
I've never lost a saw or lost a tree over backwards I was taught to cut long poles if you loose one of them that's big dollars, till you cut with jacks daily or come play in the big long wood you have no where to talk.

I've never lost a saw or lost a tree over backwards I was taught to cut long poles if you loose one of them that's big dollars, till you cut with jacks daily or come play in the big long wood you have no where to talk.

Well we're equal on that front, the only thing I might bust is some expensive trees by not having local knowledge of how they react when they hit the deck. Not many here can talk then if that's your criteria for knowing something about the game.
Thanski

Back