Wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missouriboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay. This is missouriboy's girlfriend. I want to get him some wedges but I have no idea to get, what brand, what do different kinds do? I've been shopping on 'Baileys Online'. Can someone please help me?!

Opinions vary, but I like these yellow and black wedges myself.

john_deere_648gIII_dual_arch_skidder_01.jpg

depends on how much ya like him... Dual tapers are easy to drive, red heads are an old favorite, el cheapo ( my personal favorite..) are cheap but get the job done, the "rifled" wedges are solution to a nonexistent problem (dirt does wonders). The "hard heads" (the ones with a bit of steel in em) seem to me kinda overkill, plus a good way to potentially kill a good chain...

As far as lengths go, depends on what he is playing with, smaller trees = smaller wedges, the 8" are a good starting point, with a few 10" for good luck, and a shorty what are they 5" for killin brush, the 12" and 15" banana wedges are for big damned trees, and used rarely by the average guy...

hope this helps, but this is just my opinion...

The K&H and Double Taper wedges were my weapon of choice when I was a faller.
The Hard Head wedges are good if you need to wail the hell out of them to get one to go. Not as effective with less than a 5 lb. axe though.
Nowaday's I buy the cheapies from Bailey's. My guy's affectionately call them Green Weenie's.

Like Northman said, what size depends on what he's likely to be cutting. I carry 2-8" and a 5 1/2" for the tree's I cut now. Mostly 16" and less but ocasionally up to 24" trees. When I was falling timber I carried an 8", 2-10", and a 12" usually. That generally covered most of what I was in.
I'm sure he'll be happy with whatever you get him. If not tell him to go pound sand in a rat hole. :laugh:

Andy

Thank you very much. This really does help. If you don't mind replying again what is the difference in textured, smooth, or barbed? Or does that matter?

I use the textured one's. Never cared for the smoothe one's, they spit out of the cut sometimes (of corse so do the rest of them :laugh:). The barbed one's work ok for a while, then the barbs lay down and they're just really rough textured wedges.

Andy

I like the 5 1/2" or 8" best for the smallish hard woods we have on the east coast. I've only had one tree that needed a 12" wedge. Get him a pair of the 5 1/2" and 8" K&H. :msp_thumbup:

Thing to remember about wedges is that they're expendables. They're gonna get the crap beat out of them on the wide end, and they're gonna get nibbled by the saw at the narrow end. You can carve 'em back into shape a couple of times, but that only goes so far. Don't think of them as permanent tools like a set of wrenches. Think of them as stuff that gets used up like duct tape.

A little texture is good... barbs is another thing that sounds like a good idea until put into practice. Every once in a little while ya need to be able to wiggle a wedge out and I imagine barbs would be non conducive to removal.

Locale saw shop here carry's a type with a little pocket in it scottsco... works real good for holding the dirt while stacking wedges, and they are dirt cheap win win

Thing to remember about wedges is that they're expendables. They're gonna get the crap beat out of them on the wide end, and they're gonna get nibbled by the saw at the narrow end. You can carve 'em back into shape a couple of times, but that only goes so far. Don't think of them as permanent tools like a set of wrenches. Think of them as stuff that gets used up like duct tape.

I use them for bucking and they really get abused--I tend to cut them because the trees are small or my saw is already stuck.

View attachment 267735
How about a nice thermos to accessorize with?

View attachment 267736

If you're ordering from Bailey's, I'd go with K&H Redheads. Middle of the road price and a classic tool of "real" loggers (though probably just as many use whatever house brand is cheapest). I would consider buying a couple 10" and maybe a 12" along with some 8". I don't usually order 5" as they're so easy to get locally. 10" and 12", on the other hand, are almost impossible to find, so even though they don't get as much use I often include one or two in an order to make sure I have some around.

As hatte said think of em as duct tape. Even if you go with some other brand than K&H they have a very sweet 5 inch, maybe it's a seven, that has a little more lift than you're normal wedge of that length. They work very well in the smaller stuff due to this. Unfortunately they are not cheap even for their size. I broke the tip off one and saved it, but it's no starter wedge anymore lol

Have a safe and merry christmas!

Wes

I use the wedge to keep the bar from getting pinched. Remember if the wind blows the wedge can fall out, as the tree starts forward out it comes only to have the wind bring the tree back with no wedge. If the tree has a back lean and the wedge falls out as described the saw gets pinched, the hinge breaks and major damage may occur. The wedge is no guarantee. If the tree has a back lean and you attempt to use a wedge to lift, while pounding you can break the hinge.

I use the wedge to keep the bar from getting pinched. Remember if the wind blows the wedge can fall out, as the tree starts forward out it comes only to have the wind bring the tree back with no wedge. If the tree has a back lean and the wedge falls out as described the saw gets pinched, the hinge breaks and major damage may occur. The wedge is no guarantee. If the tree has a back lean and you attempt to use a wedge to lift, while pounding you can break the hinge.

Okaaaaaaay. You've said the same thing in 3 different threads. I think we get it.

Latest posts

Back