Weight and vibration levels of MS 280, 260, and Dolmar 5100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadouthat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am trying to pick a new saw and there are lots of factors beside these, but for vibration levels and actual measured weights, either I can't find the data or it is unreliable and/or clearly optimistic.

To start with the confusion, is the 5100 really 11.2 pounds? If it were, it would be pretty close to the nice light 10.1 pound MS 260. According to the Dolmar dealer (and he is local and a darned good one), he hasn't weighed accurately a 5100 but doesn't think it is lighter than similar Dolmars such as the Dolmar 460 which is listed as 12.1 pounds. He has tried to get confirmation of the 11.2 pounds from the distributor and hasn't succeeded in confirming that number. I think it is just a case of transposed digits.

My understanding from Troll and others is that the Stihl weights are accurate.

As an aside, while I get annoyed at some of Troll's caustic reviews of many saws that the poor person on the forum has just purchased and his wild praise for others (his enthusiasm for the old edition, no torque Husky 246's, for example), I have learned a lot from his posts and appreciate the wealth of information that he has provided.

On vibration levels, I can't find data for any Stihls. I have a 280 and it is much smoother than the 025 that I just wore out. The MS 260, I think, has all rubber mounts like the 025 had while the Dolmar has at least one spring and I presume is smoother. (I wish that Stihl would make a 260 version of the 361 or at least a spring anti vib suspension version like the very smooth 280).

Anyone out there have data on weights and vibration levels for the Dolmars and Stihls?

The PS5100S is more like 11,7 lbs, and I believe the basic MS260 is about 10.6 - surely not 10.1 (but they don't state that it is either).

The MS280 is heavier than the 5100S, and too close to the 361 to make it an interesting option.

To get the vibe numbers, go to the KWF site in the sticky "Reference thread" - but the numbers don't tell the whole story.....

Last edited:
thanks for the correction on Shihl 260 weight

Troll: Thanks for the correction on the Stihl 260 weight. I did mis-state it. I assume that your weight for the 5100 is actual measurement on yours?

And while I'm writing, which do you prefer, the 346 New Addition or Dolmar 5100. Which of those two in actual use appears to have the lower vibration levels?

I can't say much about the weight comparisons, but the 280 handles and feels like a small saw. It isn't nearly as heavy feeling or bulky as the 361 or comparable saws.

I wouldn't give mine up for a 260. I've never ran a 5100.

Troll: Thanks for the correction on the Stihl 260 weight. I did mis-state it. I assume that your weight for the 5100 is actual measurement on yours?

And while I'm writing, which do you prefer, the 346 New Addition or Dolmar 5100. Which of those two in actual use appears to have the lower vibration levels?

Not mine, but someone else on here, that I trust.......:)

- I have never cared to weight a saw, but based on my use, the NE346xp is a nimbler and lighter saw than the 5100S, and I can't detect any power difference - just that the 346 revs up much faster, but not as high......:cheers: :cheers:

Neither have a vibration level to speak of, but the Husky is slightly better in that regard as well.

Last edited:
I can't say much about the weight comparisons, but the 280 handles and feels like a small saw. It isn't nearly as heavy feeling or bulky as the 361 or comparable saws.

I wouldn't give mine up for a 260. I've never ran a 5100.

to me i cant detect the lesser weight of the 280 over the 361. the differance in power is significant. the power and responce may help it feel as light or lighter than the 280.

:cheers:

to me i cant detect the lesser weight of the 280 over the 361. the differance in power is significant. the power and responce may help it feel as light or lighter than the 280.

:cheers:

You got that right, as far as I know!

:cheers: :cheers:

They feel completely different to me. I used a 361 a good bit last weekend. Of course my 280 is ported and runs right with or slightly ahead of a muffler modded 361, but the weight and bulkiness isn't close.

I guess a good bit of it could be related to the difference in bars, the 361 wears a 20" ES and my 280 uses a 18" E.

Just weighed one of my 026s. Dry weight, powerhead only 10.5lbs. I think all saws should be weighed ready to cut.......

There isn't much difference in weight between a Stihl 026, Makita/Dolmar 540, Husqvarna 353 or 346xp. All of these are a pleasure to use. I really don't notice much difference in vibration in my saws except for the 42cc Craftsman/Poulan without AV.

I could tell the 346 weighed more, or maybe it was all the **** packed in the owner......

I'm with ya on the craftsman, a wild thing will shake your fillings loose.:dizzy: :dizzy:

I am trying to pick a new saw and there are lots of factors beside these, but for vibration levels and actual measured weights, either I can't find the data or it is unreliable and/or clearly optimistic.

To start with the confusion, is the 5100 really 11.2 pounds? If it were, it would be pretty close to the nice light 10.1 pound MS 260. According to the Dolmar dealer (and he is local and a darned good one), he hasn't weighed accurately a 5100 but doesn't think it is lighter than similar Dolmars such as the Dolmar 460 which is listed as 12.1 pounds. He has tried to get confirmation of the 11.2 pounds from the distributor and hasn't succeeded in confirming that number. I think it is just a case of transposed digits.

My understanding from Troll and others is that the Stihl weights are accurate.

As an aside, while I get annoyed at some of Troll's caustic reviews of many saws that the poor person on the forum has just purchased and his wild praise for others (his enthusiasm for the old edition, no torque Husky 246's, for example), I have learned a lot from his posts and appreciate the wealth of information that he has provided.

On vibration levels, I can't find data for any Stihls. I have a 280 and it is much smoother than the 025 that I just wore out. The MS 260, I think, has all rubber mounts like the 025 had while the Dolmar has at least one spring and I presume is smoother. (I wish that Stihl would make a 260 version of the 361 or at least a spring anti vib suspension version like the very smooth 280).

Anyone out there have data on weights and vibration levels for the Dolmars and Stihls?

Dude, what are you going to use this saw for? Are you a pro arborist or logger? Homeowner? Firewood business? I use my saws weekly, not every day, but more than the average Joe Homeowner. I dont give a damn about vibration of a saw. If you use your saws EVERY day ALL day, I apologize. I just think people put wayyy too much emphasis on vibration levels. My grandad would roll over in his grave if he knew people were #####in about stuff like this.

Dude, what are you going to use this saw for? Are you a pro arborist or logger? Homeowner? Firewood business? I use my saws weekly, not every day, but more than the average Joe Homeowner. I dont give a damn about vibration of a saw. If you use your saws EVERY day ALL day, I apologize. I just think people put wayyy too much emphasis on vibration levels. My grandad would roll over in his grave if he knew people were #####in about stuff like this.

That is going to upset puss hands.:taped: :D

Back