Weird or Unusual things in/on saws/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did that just last week. In a hurry, put on bar and chain to finish up a carb repair job. As I pulled forward on the chain to seat it in the drive sprocket and set the tension I nearly cut myself on the freshly sharpened cutters. Glad I caught that mistake before I handed it over to the customer. :eek::confused:

A local Arborist friend calls me last winter and says he has long length of pin oak and asks me if I want it and I said (duh) sure and his log trucks grapple puts it next to my driveway and the butt end is hollow and there's something shiny in there and I reach in and pull out a 1970's Miller Beer bottle with the same mildew on it that's on the wood it's touching. So here's the question - how did the beer bottle get in the tree. No scars, wounds or open knot holes. Sorry it's a little off topic - anyone see anything like this before?
Miller beer bottle inside a pin oak tree.jpg

A local Arborist friend calls me last winter and says he has long length of pin oak and asks me if I want it and I said (duh) sure and his log trucks grapple puts it next to my driveway and the butt end is hollow and there's something shiny in there and I reach in and pull out a 1970's Miller Beer bottle with the same mildew on it that's on the wood it's touching. So here's the question - how did the beer bottle get in the tree. No scars, wounds or open knot holes. Sorry it's a little off topic - anyone see anything like this before?
View attachment 488040
After a hard days work standing around a beer is good

View attachment 488040
....Maybe they folded the mast on the bottle before they stuck it in the...... Wait a Minute.....
That is wierd!
I don't think it's off post. It's definitely a WTF, but had to have a chainsaw touch it. Lol

Promac.. My cheapo 394 I stole the bottom end from came to me with the chain on backwards. nice 28" bar with a terribly destroyed chain on it (I don't think it was run backward, just slapped on, bar nuts were loose)

Around here, we have leafcutter bees.. anything that has about a 1/4" hole shall get plugged by them.. I have a propane transfer hose that was plugged solid.. any small hydraulic lines get plugged.. open radiators.. check. We have the mud daubers too, I've just never seen them get into any trouble

View attachment 488040
Okay, here's my best guess. I'm thinking that bottle was set down next to the base of that tree when it was just a sapling and as the tree grew the bottle was engulfed by the tree. Then as the tree aged and got hollow the bottle ended up inside the hollow cavity. A good friend of mine has a very large poplar tree in his front yard. Up about 10 feet off the ground there is a fishing pole sticking out of the tree. It was likely set up in the tree by a child many years ago for safe keeping and forgotten. A tree will envelope anything that is placed next to or attached to its body.

I don't have pictures but I cleaned an old iron pile up that had been left for years in an open field augers sticking out of trees car rim wedged in the sides of trees it was actually sorta neat the trees I've been cutting this year have barbed wire in them at various heights that is confusing to me I guess the tree grows at diffrent rates thus the height of the wire is changed

[QUOTE"Promac555, post: 5771116, member: 121432"]Friend drops off this saw and said it won't cut and needs a good sharpening. Didn't want to confiscate his "man card" ... but did.View attachment 488004[/QUOTE]
I got in a big hurry once and added a couple links and drivers to make a new 36" chain.
My customer said he was sharpening the chain the first time and started scratching his head when he came across two backward cutters. Lol:nofunny::crazy::mad:

These are two instances of pinholes in aftermarket cylinders. I have a test rig to verify that they don't leak prior to installing.

What do you use in the specific?

This is not good. Broken piston bits made it back through the intake system!.

It looks like a strato-charged Stihl... or am I much mistaken?

What do you use in the specific?
I made this broken crankcase tester with a rubber base gasket. I used a bad crank with no piston innards.
1456624115690.jpg

It looks like a strato-charged Stihl... or am I much mistaken?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Expand this for the pic of the test rig.
--Yes, good eye. You are correct. TS800.

Latest posts

Back