Welding helmets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Want to get a new auto darkening helmet and looking at Northerns stuff, what is the difference between their brand and the name brands?

Seems like some of theirs are better specs but way cheaper? How are they doing it? Is it a safety issue where they are taking a short cut like maybe their auto darkening doesn't actually work as fast as they say or speeds decrease over time or something?

For example

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200322931_200322931

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200311850_200311850

WOW The cheap one seems to be getting great reviews! 269 out of 272 would reccomend to a friend!

Thats amazing!

Bought this a few weeks ago
DSC00359.jpg

Speedglas in the most used auto hood with the people I work around. I would say a 1/3 of us have one. This is the one I have had since this past Christmas. I probably spend 5 hours a year with a welding hood on.

http://store.cyberweld.com/speedglas9000v.html

The only other ones I've had any personal dealings with are the EQC brands in the 2x4 lens for a pipeliner hood and the Jackson brand automatic lens. They work pretty good the only thing I don't like is there is only one sensor, the Speedglas has two.

Just my opinion but where I work my company switched to try some speedglas helmets I believe model 9002x and I have to guess I went thru 4 in 2 years, and others also had issues and probably went thru 2 a year , mainly the main unit would just go out like the batterys were going dead but they werent ,and then you would be welding and it just switch off which was the same problem others had with it , I have never dropped or misused the helmet but they havent held up near as good as other brands I have used, We also weld 8-14 hours a day inside and outside so they definately get a lot of use, The best helmet I have had was a jackson or it at least lasted about 4 years before the lens finally just quit working, I did get another and still use it for home use and its about 4 years old now , 2 other brands we have used and not had problems with are the miller elite helmets and the hobart xvp helmets, The only helmet we have had terrible luck with was the speedglas so we have quit using them.I have never used any of the northern tool helmets so can,t help you there ,my opinions is all based on every day use.

I like to have good eqpt. but this is something I'll probably use less than 5 actual working hours a year so it's hard to justify buying a really good one. Although it might last years longer with that little use?

I've had one of those flip up cheapos from when I bought the welder more than 15 years ago, if it would stay up I probably wouldn't even buy a new helmet.

Just my opinion but where I work my company switched to try some speedglas helmets I believe model 9002x and I have to guess I went thru 4 in 2 years, and others also had issues and probably went thru 2 a year , mainly the main unit would just go out like the batterys were going dead but they werent ,and then you would be welding and it just switch off which was the same problem others had with it , I have never dropped or misused the helmet but they havent held up near as good as other brands I have used, We also weld 8-14 hours a day inside and outside so they definately get a lot of use, The best helmet I have had was a jackson or it at least lasted about 4 years before the lens finally just quit working, I did get another and still use it for home use and its about 4 years old now , 2 other brands we have used and not had problems with are the miller elite helmets and the hobart xvp helmets, The only helmet we have had terrible luck with was the speedglas so we have quit using them.I have never used any of the northern tool helmets so can,t help you there ,my opinions is all based on every day use.

I also run Jackson and have had good luck. Although it just crapped out after 8 years. It was a high end unit and still available today.

Have a HF style auto darkening helmet, served me fairly well for several years. If it wasn't for doing more TIG welding and having a shop I don't heat much the HF helmet would have served me fine.

Where it came up short was it cold weather, it was too slow once it got anywhere near freezing. Esp bad if cold and stitching MIG welds, helmet would get confused if it was supposed to be dimming or lightening.

Also it did not do well for TIG welding, too easy to block the sensor(s) and get flashed, also did not trigger reliably when welding 22-24 ga sheet at low amps.

Recently picked a Miller Digital, very nice, I like it. Swaping back and forth there is a big difference in the optics with the Miller having a much brighter clearer and larger view. Triggers off electro-magnetic as well as flash sensors so makes in near bomb proof against getting flashed even in real tight places. Lots of control over the settings.

Down side on the Miller digital is it needs to be turned on and shuts off automatically if not used after 20 or 30 min. Also it is a lightweight so likely better for in shop welding than subject to field abuse. On the pricey side too.

Last edited:
I have the northern autodarkening hood and it is fantastic. It works great. I even let one of the iron workers at work borrow it and they liked it more than the $350 miller they owned. The only thing I would do over is get the large view window model. Very pleased with mine and it's been three years now.

After my eyes went middle aged, and I can't twist and manuever well, it is more important to have more pick-ups (sensors)... for what its worth.

Mine are cheapies, but there must be different grades of cheapies. $ 100.

you do what kind of welding, MIG, MAG, SAW?
you may need many welding supplies, such as helmet, welding machine, submerged arc welding fluxes, wires.
i want to recommend you quality flux for you.
http://www.ylflux.com/

Back