Welding onto hydraulic tank. Keep it full?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know.I know.When I was writing it I was thinking "What is causing the oil to heat up?'

cityevader, Now that I've found the original post, do you have a picture of the splitter?

It's brand new month-old with 3 gallons of gas through it...Harbor Freight 30-ton Subaru 9hp splitter. No picture, but same as website.

I'm so cheap after spending so much on the splitter, I don't want to spend the money on a $10 stopwatch to measure stroke time loaded/unloaded, as indicated to determine pump efficiency....not to mention I haven't had any rounds to split since then anyway.

At this point I'm thinking "damage control"...well, that's a bit harsh...more like run it for an hour and shut 'er down because we're both tired!

I think i'm missing something here,the original post was not about overheating oil while operating,but later you talk about it. All hydraulics generate heat,if you were standing near a backhoe that's been operating for say,an hour, and a line blew and you got hit with the oil,you would have some pretty nasty burns. You have a new machine that has'nt been run much and your welding cooling fins on it? My 2 cents,but,i'd get the normal operating temp specs first and then look at the warrenty info first.:rolleyes:

I think i'm missing something here,the original post was not about overheating oil while operating,but later you talk about it. All hydraulics generate heat,if you were standing near a backhoe that's been operating for say,an hour, and a line blew and you got hit with the oil,you would have some pretty nasty burns. You have a new machine that has'nt been run much and your welding cooling fins on it? My 2 cents,but,i'd get the normal operating temp specs first and then look at the warrenty info first.:rolleyes:

That is one of my gripes...in this wonderful forum with a vast array of knowledge (which I indulge in multiple times a day), nobody has produced a real-world temperature measurement of a splitter ram after "x" time using it. So I've no idea if after one hour of use that my 130*F is "too high" as I've nothing to compare it to. (And there is no such Chinese spec of operating temp) So I'm not really sure I even have an actual problem other than I don't like touching a hot splitter!

Last edited:
i dont have any restricting elbows on my homebuilt splitter--and it warms up some after starting to use it--its just the nature of the beast--pushing oil and making pressure creates heat--cant tell you how hot it gets--but on a 90 deg day--its gets fairly warm---and atf can take about 210 before the oil starts to break down---the only reason you dont run it that hot in a car trans is that the internal seal life gets much shorter--

Back