Welding questions HD splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possumtrapper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, just wondered if anyone here has experience with cutting and welding bisalloy 80 HT steel plate (1 inch by 10 inch). The steel has arrived for my excavator mounted splitter (6 tonne machine, 8 way wedge, 3x12 inch rings/blocks at a time) Is it possible/viable to cut with a 9 inch angle grinder or better to use gas torch? I have read the tech manual regarding HAZ but couldn't find info on cutting wheels on grinders, which is usually how I cut stuff.

Also what is the best way to sharpen all our edges (9 feet of 1 inch) Grind it all or cutting torch most of it and then grind to tidy up?

Any recommendations on rods would be good, using a big old 200amp arc welder. Thanks for lookin. Will take some pix of our work soon.

Last edited:
cut with the torch. way faster than cut off wheels. Also sharpen with the torch too, cut your angle, Then clean up with a grinder. Pics would help, I like the idea.

do you have a welding shop near by? metal band saw would work if they have one. If not the torch is the way to go and clean up with a grinder

Definately cut with a torch if bandsaw not available.

I use a grinder to clean up the wedges on my machines every so often, but it'd take a long while to create an edge with a grinder. my advice would be to find a machine shop and have them mill an edge on it for you.

forgot to look where you're located, but if anywhere near northwest ohio i can help you out there.

Use a plasma cutter if you have access to one. Cleaner and quicker than the torch.

Rob

Awesome Thank You Guys. Must mention credit is also due to Komatsuvarna for inspiration on this one. Hopefully this is going to be the xmas gift that keeps on giving. We're starting work on it tomoro so will dust off the camera.

Thanks again. Tim

Use Oxy-Acetylene Torch:

As a licenced welder, I would use a torch to cut that material. It will also harden the edges some from the heat.(a good thing)
Just one more note Possum.
Make a cutting-torch guide to help with long straight cuts.
They can be as simple as a piece of square tube with a handle up and away from tube at one end.
They will keep the edges of your cuts straighter and help when cutting long lengths and/or thick materials. That way you have very little grinding to do later and it's easier to do manual bevel cuts for your sharp edges too.(try to do these first then cut the piece to size if possible.
We always use them in our welding shops.
Remember to set up the torch flame correctly and you'll blast through the work piece easily.
Good luck and happy building.
~Stan
/Certified Welder
/Architectural Engineering
/Mechanical Engineering

Wedge edge

Here's how I did my wedge with a portable band saw to cut away waste and then cleaned it up with a 5 in. grinder.

Roy

Here's how I did my wedge with a portable band saw to cut away waste and then cleaned it up with a 5 in. grinder.

Roy

Good idea Roy.

A Norton fast cut wheel on a 7" or 9" will get the job done in short order without the cuts.

Also agree with Stan above. A properly adjusted torch in the right hands will leave very little clean up with grinder.

Here's the digger mounted splitter under construction. Located a good ram for it today, 3 foot stroke so should be able to split 3 or 4 rings over the truck
at a time. Welding gurus on here will have to excuse the condition of my welds, they are getting better with practice!

Last edited:
Hardfaceing your wage is a good idea it helps keep it sharp. For a lot longer I due them aall the time makes a big difference. The cheap way is to use 7018 rod and a little pre heat .

Thanks for that and all the folks who posted suggestions. Will probably need some more help as we progress.Looked at milling the edge but it was quoted at $1300, and the local eng shops wouldn't risk their power hacksaws on the Bis 80 as it was too hard for them. Ended up cutting the wedge wings (8x1 HT) with a 4.5 inch Makita grinder and a norton cutting wheel which resembled a wafer. Just taking it slowly and not over heating it (short runs on and off) I was able to cut all the wings
for $14 Vs $80 to gas it at the shop. We then borrowed a cutting torch and cut most of the wedge wings to shape. By the end of it, using a guide as suggested here, we were able to get very accurate with the torch and needed very little grinding (big 9 inch though)to get a shaving sharp edge. Our first quote for the ram started at $2000(used), ended up with one at $200 off an old Hitachi excavator and that included the ears which we can gas off and weld onto the I beam and push plate. Will post some more pix next week.

Latest posts

Back