Well... because it's so cold...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If'n y'all are lookin' for something to pass the time while you huddle around the fire during this wave of cold (see, I kept it about heating with wood :D)...

Last Christmas I received two books written by Bill O'Reilly, "Killing Lincoln" and "Killing Kennedy". Both were good reads, but I enjoyed "Lincoln" more... read it in three nights. This Christmas I received "Killing Jesus", which is a damn good read, easily the best of the three... read it in two nights.

If you enjoy reading history, I highly recommend all three. O'Reilly has a style that keeps ideology out of the pages... he bases the books on historical fact (reasonably provable fact) and notes where there is discrepancy or may be doubt.

If'n y'all are lookin' for something to pass the time while you huddle around the fire during this wave of cold (see, I kept it about heating with wood :D)...

Last Christmas I received two books written by Bill O'Reilly, "Killing Lincoln" and "Killing Kennedy". Both were good reads, but I enjoyed "Lincoln" more... read it in three nights. This Christmas I received "Killing Jesus", which is a damn good read, easily the best of the three... read it in two nights.

If you enjoy reading history, I highly recommend all three. O'Reilly has a style that keeps ideology out of the pages... he bases the books on historical fact (reasonably provable fact) and notes where there is discrepancy or may be doubt.
killing Jesus,,wouldn't go over real well in political...............:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

Been looking for something new to read, finished up all the ones I got for xmas . Thanks for the idea!

I'm not a fan of O'Reilly, but I read a lot and I'm open-minded. I'll give your recommendations a look next time I'm in the library.
Given the weather, we could use a 'books to read' thread. Off the top of my head:
John Irving, World according to Garp is a favorite but they're all good,
Nelson Demille, Up Country, again they're all good,
Ben Rich, Skunkworks,
I'll wait before adding more.

Philoshop, I'll give a huge thumbs up on Skunkworks! I couldn't put that down.

I'll give a second to Death in the Long Grass. Excellent. Somewhere in a box in someone's basement I have a copy.?
Slowp, who are the authors?
Just finished Rumor of War by Phillip Caputo. Every ten years or so just as a reminder of how close I came.

Yes...he developed the loads in .44 special cases and badgered Remington into standardizing the cartridge. Met him about 4 years before he died - quite a guy- the locals in Salmon didn't care for him...a lottle too blunt for their taste.

Just finished up my 3rd book on cabin designs, was about to start the 4th and the Mrs. informed me we have the Justified DVD from the library again (didn't finish it last time). Gonna be a violent weekend here. :)

Kiddo's school's closed Monday. They're projecting -17F as a high. :eek:

Justified.. deffently a good TV seris I have started to get back into reading again. Finished "The dirt" by Motley Crue, I enjoyed it I would suspect most here probaly not 435 pgs I read it in about 2.5 days fairly good I read it while on vaction for the holiday. Justified is based off of a book/books by Lenord Seymor? I think maybe check it out. My wife and I both sit and watch it our, favorite charctor is Boyd. We also enjoy Sons of Anarchy we always by the new seasons when it comes out. The only other books I have read in the last couple of years are The Dark Side of Camalot and Sea fighter both where my fathers and he enjoyed them both.

Religion??
I just read a book last night (only about 140 pages) entitled "The Master Key; Unlock The Mystery Of Supernatural Living", written by David Shearin. It was a darn good read... about religion. David is the founder and pastor of the Word Of Life Christian Center in Las Vegas. David and his wife also have a weekly television broadcast, and have ministered overseas. Both he and his wife have appeared several times on nationally broadcasted religion-based television programs.

What made this book so interesting and unique... well... it wasn't the fire-'n'-brimstone, "repent now or perish" type of thing. The book assumes, from the very first page, that you are already "Born Again", that you have already acknowledged your sins, you believe Christ died on the cross for you, and that you've accepted him into yourself. The book addresses this question...
"OK, I've accepted Christ as my saviour and asked for his forgiveness... but what do I do now? Where do I go from here?"

Like I said... it was a darn good read. I actually learned a lot about what those words in the bible mean... what they mean for me, for you, for all of us (as believers). I'm talking about verses and passages I've heard all my life in church, sunday school, on TV and elsewhere... yet no one had ever taken the time to explain their true meaning in relation to the Crucifixion of Christ, or the salvation promised through Christ.

No... I ain't turned over a new leaf... but that don't mean I can't appreciate the work (which is excellent, by-the-way). It's a book well worth the read...and, at around 140 pages, you can read it in one evening. The book was just recently published... it's so new it ain't even listed on the Word Of Life Christian Center website yet... but I'm sure a copy can be had by contacting David or his wife Vicki through that website.

I received my copy for Christmas... via the mail... directly from David and Vicki... because... well... David is my brother-in-law... Vicki is my sister.

Back