Well, call it a "Fudging" day -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well! Twiddle my fingers and let's just call yesterday "A Fudging Day" - I don't normally swear, just use the word "Fudge"! Everything I do lately costs $$. Life is SO interesting...

Had the chimney sweep out here yesterday for the pre wood stove install sweep. Dang guy took a look down the adjoining chimney that services our oil furnace, gave me photos that show disintegrating clay tiles. He was also 'nice' enough to write me up an estimate to repair said chimney to the tune of $3,100+ dollars.

I sent an email out to our sons letting them know where their future inheritance might be spent... :dizzy:

Shari

Depending on the size of the tile, you might be able to get a flex chimney through it safely, as long as the outside brick are all right. I have seen this done a few times and it works great as long as you get the right insert chimney.

The chimney block are fine. It is the clay tile liner that he 'says' is bad. You bet I'll get one of our sons up there to confirm before we do any repairs. The guy says he 'thinks' they can get a flex liner down and slurry around it but if broken tile are in the way they will have to remove ALL the tile.

Is the sign "Sucker" showing on my forehead again?

Shari

The chimney block are fine. It is the clay tile liner that he 'says' is bad. You bet I'll get one of our sons up there to confirm before we do any repairs. The guy says he 'thinks' they can get a flex liner down and slurry around it but if broken tile are in the way they will have to remove ALL the tile.

Is the sign "Sucker" showing on my forehead again?

Shari
Nope just the word"Homeowner" Seems like there is always something to fix when you own one. Usually when it rains it pours too like if one thing breaks then evrything else will follow.lol i would definitely get a second opinion and good luck in whatever you decide.

liner---easier as said--cheaper--and do it yourself--

100% right. You don't need them to clear your chimney, that might just be a time consuming do-it-yourself job, and you can certainly run the flex flue if you have someone not afraid of hieghts.

Shari just go with the liner...less than $300. DONE!

Now that amount of $$ sounds doable.

$3,100! Just to repair the chimney? Building a whole new one might even be cheaper.

That's where the "Sucker" on my forehead appears to be showing. What they don't know is years ago my father was a mason contractor - he he he - because of that at least I have an idea what things should cost.

Shari

Everything I do lately costs $$. Life is SO interesting...

I agree! I call Home Depot... "Home Deplete Your Bank Account"!

Every time I walk in the door it costs me $100. So I've learned not to go there if I can help it.

But if a friend wants me to go there with him for HIS project, then I have no problem going. Then it becomes a fun adventure! I can point out things my friend needs and I don't have to pay a cent!

"Here, don't you need one of these?"

"How about one of those?"

"You're going to need this!" :)

Sometimes these contractors might be better off knocking on the door with a baseball bat, at least then you would be able to brace for the clubbing.
As stated before, go with the liner.

I agree! I call Home Depot... "Home Deplete Your Bank Account"!

Every time I walk in the door it costs me $100. So I've learned not to go there if I can help it.

But if a friend wants me to go there with him for HIS project, then I have no problem going. Then it becomes a fun adventure! I can point out things my friend needs and I don't have to pay a cent!

"Here, don't you need one of these?"

"How about one of those?"

"You're going to need this!" :)

Your a bad influence on your friends.

Beefie

I ordered a 6" wood insert install/reline kit from here:http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/index.asp on Thursday, and will report back once it arrives & we get to mess with it.

If the appliance to chimney arrangement isn't too complex, I can't imagine it being too difficult.

The above advice on heights applies, be careful up there.

Back