well I did it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskystihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I did it now. After all the talk about the dolmar 5100 I ordered one ten minutes ago. I have been cutting in one form or another since I was 10 yrs old and will have to admit that it wasn't till I joined this site that I was turned on to how good dolmar is. I have never ran one so I am really trusting you guys. I always knew they were they, but had no dealers around, but did a search on their website and up popped a full service dealer 15 miles away who has been in business for 30 yrs but just took on the dolmar line. He assured me that parts and service are never more than a day away so all that dealer support thing at least around here is rubbish. I will have it monday so I will follow up with a report and I ordered it with a 16" so this thing should be like trying to cage a badger.

Give us some feedback what you think of the saw. I went down to my locale dealer and looked at one. What a mistake that was because now I must have one but I can't afford one yet.

I sure will. I need this like I need another you know what but I have to say I am kind of excited.I oredered the 16" because It is about the only size saw I can justify for my arsenal but after all the talk I realized I had to have one. Could turn out to be my next old faithful.

I did it now. After all the talk about the dolmar 5100 I ordered one ten minutes ago. I have been cutting in one form or another since I was 10 yrs old and will have to admit that it wasn't till I joined this site that I was turned on to how good dolmar is. I have never ran one so I am really trusting you guys. I always knew they were they, but had no dealers around, but did a search on their website and up popped a full service dealer 15 miles away who has been in business for 30 yrs but just took on the dolmar line. He assured me that parts and service are never more than a day away so all that dealer support thing at least around here is rubbish. I will have it monday so I will follow up with a report and I ordered it with a 16" so this thing should be like trying to cage a badger.

Just curious what you got nicked for the 5100 - I'm strongly considering myself.

I sure will. I need this like I need another you know what but I have to say I am kind of excited.I oredered the 16" because It is about the only size saw I can justify for my arsenal but after all the talk I realized I had to have one. Could turn out to be my next old faithful.

I think it will. I've been a Dolmar fan for a several years now and I don't have Dealer close by. I have Husky/Stihl Dealer 4 miles away but still like my Dolly's. The thing that sold me was dependability. Mine always start in 2-3 pulls cold and one warm, and will idle till they run out of fuel. Pretty good performers too. I think that 5100s you bought is the best 50cc out there and at a pretty fair price too. Good Luck with yours.

I've been using my 5100S quite a bit in the week or so I've had it. I absolutely love it and I'm sure you will too. I sure hope you have a 3/8 chain and not a .325 that's the one thing everyone says to make sure of. Either way enjoy it and let us know what you think!

I didn't clarify the 3/8 sprocket so I am hoping that it comes standard. Cost wise I paid $349 which I less than I just paid for an ms 310.

Works really well with the 3/8 setup (73LGX and LP), but so does my NE346xp with .325 (21LP) - not able to detect any difference in cutting speed.....

...some more experiments are due....

The std Dolmer branded chains are no good in either pitch. :pumpkin2:

Last edited:
Varying chain pitch

Mine(briefly) came with .325 x 16". I always felt like small displacement high rpms=small cutters. I thought 20lp w/16" did pretty well. I tried it in a larger log 16" and it did pretty well if you didn't push it.

I didn't clarify the 3/8 sprocket so I am hoping that it comes standard. Cost wise I paid $349 which I less than I just paid for an ms 310.

Well when I got mine I had to wait for the 3/8. The dealer told me that when they order for stock they always were sent the .325, so I was waited until they order in mine. Just makes it easier as my other saw is 3/8 and a friend of mine has a small repair shop and and all he stocks in bulk is 3/8 (just to bad he isn't a Dolmar dealer, maybe if I bug him enough about how good this saw is).

If it comes with the .325 I wouldn't let it bother you.

Mine cuts very well with 3/8 x .50 chain with either a 16 or 18" bar. The saw is strong enough to use an 18" bar buried in hard wood. I use the 16" for limbing.

066 MAG

2 PS7900'S

PS 5100

Back