Well, THAT was fun!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Long story short, spent much of today going one-on-one through a very condensed and intense GOL Phase 1 and 2 with my friend Bill, a guy who had been a GOL instructor but doesn't teach anymore. I brought my MS390 and 025, he brought a brand-new MS361 and an older Husky 372XP. I used my 390 to go through the maintenance and sharpening portion, and then we went to the woods to drop some dead ash and a couple 16" DBH red pines. Nice ones, too, probably 70' trees.

Well, lemme just say that any preconceived notions I had about my 390 being a pig with no power, were soundly confirmed once I got the 361 in my grubby fingers. Holy ^%@)!@^ that thing is a screamer! He used to have an 036Pro and it was stolen, so he used the settlement to buy the 361. He didn't care much for it at first and still doesn't, but he admitted it goes a lot better with an 8-tooth rim on it, and semi-skip chain. It outcut my 390 2-to-1 without a doubt. I'm sold. I took down an 8" ash, and pine #1 with the 361.

Of course, pine #2 came down with the 372XP. It was the first time I had ever used a Husky. Didn't even know how to start it. He warned me, that the 372 would have a LOT more speed and power than the 361. I didn't believe him, it even looks like a physically smaller saw. Went to pick it up and WOW, that thing was heavy! I fired it up and it went through that pine like a hot knife through warm butter. I fould it interesting that there seemed to be less of a difference between the MS361 and 372XP, in cutting speed and power, than between the MS390 and MS361.

Anyway, I now officially hate my MS390. The 361 may not cure cancer but it sure makes you feel good! As for the 372, I always was a Stihl fan, but that 372 (if it wasn't so darned heavy) might almost change my mind. Both of his saws were running a 16" bar with semi-skip chain, while my 390 has a 20" bar and full-comp chain, and that does make a significant difference in cutting speed, but not nearly what I experienced today.
:jawdrop: :clap: :clap:

Game Of Logging. From what I've heard and now seen, GOL is a good course for teaching the basics of personal safety, chainsaw use and maintenance, and proper felling techniques, but it seems to suffer from a sort of "tunnel vision" in terms of the techniques that are presented. Open-face notches and bore cuts have their place, but not on every occasion. I've been cutting as a homeowner and sawmill owner for almost 25 years and didn't think I could learn much, but even in half a day, I picked up some things I wish I had known a long time ago. It's worth the time, except to the kind of person who is so set in their ways that they refuse to accept something new.

Using the MS361 and 372XP was just icing on the cake. I expected to use only my own saws all day.

Is that a northeast thing, I have not heard of it down here. But, Kentucky rednecks do not take well to any yankee ideas, they might attend if they gave a free hat.........

I'd like to take the GOL course. I went to a website a couple weeks ago but couldn't find anything scheduled. If anyone knows of one within an hour-or-so drive from Rutland, VT I'd like to hear of it.

That is quite a step up from running a 390 to a 372 but now you need to run a modded 044 or 440 to see what a real pro chainsaw is like. After this new experience try a stock or modded 046 and you will want to cut with nothing else, save all kinds of money as all you need is one saw but you will want even more power.
Pioneerguy600

That is quite a step up from running a 390 to a 372 but now you need to run a modded 044 or 440 to see what a real pro chainsaw is like. After this new experience try a stock or modded 046 and you will want to cut with nothing else, save all kinds of money as all you need is one saw but you will want even more power.
Pioneerguy600

I agree about the 046mag, I got one and love that thing, it just plain rips!!!! Mine is even slobbery rich, I should lean it out some.

Long story short, spent much of today going one-on-one through a very condensed and intense GOL Phase 1 and 2 with my friend Bill, a guy who had been a GOL instructor but doesn't teach anymore. I brought my MS390 and 025, he brought a brand-new MS361 and an older Husky 372XP. I used my 390 to go through the maintenance and sharpening portion, and then we went to the woods to drop some dead ash and a couple 16" DBH red pines. Nice ones, too, probably 70' trees.

Well, lemme just say that any preconceived notions I had about my 390 being a pig with no power, were soundly confirmed once I got the 361 in my grubby fingers. Holy ^%@)!@^ that thing is a screamer! He used to have an 036Pro and it was stolen, so he used the settlement to buy the 361. He didn't care much for it at first and still doesn't, but he admitted it goes a lot better with an 8-tooth rim on it, and semi-skip chain. It outcut my 390 2-to-1 without a doubt. I'm sold. I took down an 8" ash, and pine #1 with the 361.

Of course, pine #2 came down with the 372XP. It was the first time I had ever used a Husky. Didn't even know how to start it. He warned me, that the 372 would have a LOT more speed and power than the 361. I didn't believe him, it even looks like a physically smaller saw. Went to pick it up and WOW, that thing was heavy! I fired it up and it went through that pine like a hot knife through warm butter. I fould it interesting that there seemed to be less of a difference between the MS361 and 372XP, in cutting speed and power, than between the MS390 and MS361.

Anyway, I now officially hate my MS390. The 361 may not cure cancer but it sure makes you feel good! As for the 372, I always was a Stihl fan, but that 372 (if it wasn't so darned heavy) might almost change my mind. Both of his saws were running a 16" bar with semi-skip chain, while my 390 has a 20" bar and full-comp chain, and that does make a significant difference in cutting speed, but not nearly what I experienced today.
:jawdrop: :clap: :clap:

More bogus HP numbers coming out of Stihl for all you HP number believers. MS390 = 4.3 hp MS361 = 4.4 hp and cuts twice as fast. Must be something wrong with the 390 if the 361 cuts twice as fast. Steve

More bogus HP numbers coming out of Stihl for all you HP number believers. MS390 = 4.3 hp MS361 = 4.4 hp and cuts twice as fast. Must be something wrong with the 390 if the 361 cuts twice as fast. Steve

He's just over excited with using a pro saw. Be nice and let him enjoy it.

I agree about the 046mag, I got one and love that thing, it just plain rips!!!! Mine is even slobbery rich, I should lean it out some.

You have one heck of a nice 046 and it does not really need to be ported and muffler modded to be impressive, they are that in stock form, only lean it out if you have to impress someone as they last a lot longer if they run a tad rich. However if you ever get to run a properly ported and modded 046 it quickly becomes the # 1 saw in the every day use lineup. I use mine even though I like running the 066 modded the 046 power to weight and its balance just feel right for me. IMO.
Pioneerguy600

He's just over excited with using a pro saw. Be nice and let him enjoy it.

You guys are funny.

But seriously, I've never had an opportunity to run a pro saw for any length of time, and it was fun.

I think my 390 does have some problems, not the least of which is the owner. :dizzy: I also wasn't doing an apples-to-apples comparison. If I had a 16" bar on the 390, I think I would notice a pretty significant difference in cut speed. I do notice the difference between a 16" bar and 18" bar on my 025.

OK, so maybe it wasn't a 2:1 difference, but when you're used to a homeowner-grade saw and you have no point of comparison, any pro saw seems quick.

Ideally I'd have a MS260 and a MS460. That would cover just about anything I'd ever want to cut. After using that Husky, I'd also consider going to that route as well.

Thanks mbopp. I'm going to try for a May GOL 1 class, if it's not too far from me.

i feel the ms290-390 saws are clumsey ergonicly and that would make a difreince big time when compareing them to pro saw. even if the power is similar or the same.

and man a 16" chain would be smokn fast on saws like that.

You have one heck of a nice 046 and it does not really need to be ported and muffler modded to be impressive, they are that in stock form, only lean it out if you have to impress someone as they last a lot longer if they run a tad rich. However if you ever get to run a properly ported and modded 046 it quickly becomes the # 1 saw in the every day use lineup. I use mine even though I like running the 066 modded the 046 power to weight and its balance just feel right for me. IMO.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks, yes it is impressive. Its a Mag so its got the dual port, and man does it sound sweet, its a fast saw stock. When I did a removal at my parents place I had it there, and my friends that run a tree service came by and gave me a hand, they were impressed with it, one of them said is it as good as our 575xp. I just laughed ha ha ha LOL.

Latest posts

Back