Well went for the free wood anyway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indycuts

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
One of the guys down the street had a tree go down and it looks to be a beech to me so I offered to help em cut it up if he wanted to share some of the wood. ;) He really had no interest in doing it and said if I wanted to I was more than welcome to it but he did not want me driving back there and I would have to clean up when done :bang:
Of course clean-up is a given but carryin 18-30in rounds 150 feet or so out to the trailer sounded like more than I wanted but after driving by the tree a few weeks I figured what the heck and gave it a whirl. photo's are not that good but gives you an idea.
167891d1294672368-stuck-tree-photo2-jpg

Then we got a little snow and I started working on it. ya I know, just enough to be dangerous. :bang:
167893d1294673036-round3-jpg
167892d1294672824-tree-stuck-7-jpg
167894d1294673136-rounds-jpg
167896d1294673242-stackin-jpg
and I have not even made it to the trunk yet...lol got about a foot of snow this weekend and looking at another foot inbound over the next week

Last edited:
Good score!! Im a CL junky get all my wood off of it. the good thing its ROUND they roll!!! The other thing I did, I bought a tyco kids plastic wagon. Yea.. It works great and hasnt broken yet. Plastic wheels work better with the weight. I have had 3- 22 inch rounds of red oak on one and didnt seem to phase it!! Good luck

Cedarman, I would have to cut a few trees down to clear a path to get back there with the trailer and truck.
Not sure how to get those rounds off the trunk out yet but might have to have noddles for lunch :chainsawguy:

Deer Slayer, Good stuff man! I never even thought of that. Might have to pick one of those wagons up.

Last edited:
I use a heavy duty garden cart, the kind with a plywood bed and bicycle wheels. You can tip it on end and "walk" big rounds into and then pivot it flat to move them, if that makes sense. The large diameter wheels make it easy to move over uneven ground even with 200-300 lbs. in it. I wouldn't want to pull it up a lot of hills but it is a real back saver. I also use it when bringing firewood from my stacks in the yard into the house. It holds about two days worth of split wood which I bring into the garage and then just carry in a few at time as I'm burning. Sled would better in the snow, I'm sure, but this Agri-Fab cart is really handy for wood retrieval.

Cedarman, I would have to cut a few trees down to clear a path to get back there with the trailer and truck.
Not sure how to get those rounds off the trunk out yet but might have to have noddles for lunch :chainsawguy:

Deer Slayer, Good stuff man! I never even thought of that. Might have to pick one of those wagons up.
It will be much easier to move them in the round rather than noodled. Roll them to your truck then noodle them so you can lift them. That is what I would do if I was in your situation.

But I'm not in your situation, and probably never will be. I don't go anywhere to cut wood unless I can pull the truck up to within 30 feet of the tree. I have so much wood around me that I can pick and choose the cream of the crop wood scores. There is a woods that was just logged 1/2 mile from my house. I thought about going to see if there is any hickory I can score but I just haven't done it yet.

It will be much easier to move them in the round rather than noodled. Roll them to your truck then noodle them so you can lift them. That is what I would do if I was in your situation.

But I'm not in your situation, and probably never will be. I don't go anywhere to cut wood unless I can pull the truck up to within 30 feet of the tree. I have so much wood around me that I can pick and choose the cream of the crop wood scores. There is a woods that was just logged 1/2 mile from my house. I thought about going to see if there is any hickory I can score but I just haven't done it yet.
Thanks for all the suggestions guy's!

hmm, might have to come down by you then! I don't see much logging going on up here just lots of plowing...lol

Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of woods up here but peeps are real funny about letting you on it for wood.

i had one once in the same kinda situation... we used a plastic sled to pull out a truck load of 36" rounds... then split it down at truck to load i now use an old time steel drag made of diamond plate steel. chain it to the lawn mower and pulls them right out.

Well, I stopped off after work and took my first bite out of the trunk today and even tho it may not look it, I could not even get my arms around that round so i took countryboly19s suggestion and rolled it out and noodled at the trailer to lift it. even cut in half i would say DAM, thats one heavy Beech! :jawdrop:
Hand truck will not make it cause we got over 12 in of snow down now and more lake affect heading in so looks like sledding I will go!

LOL @cantoo

kids plastic sled on the snow. It works great. I get my son and a friend of his or two every winter and we go out and bring in at least a cord or two. A nice sunny day, brisk air. The boys can pull a lot more wood than you would think on a sled on the snow. They just slide right across. We usually have lunch, bring along some hot cider or chocolate. Great way to beat the winter doldrums and fill up the stove.

Better get it done now before the snow melts. Easier dragging in the snow than rolling through the mud

GO small

Dont punish your self ! Find a smaller tree ! If you find some wood you can handle I would if it were me. You can cut and split smaller diameter trees and produce more wood . That is better than wrestling with those big rounds. Check around you can find some thing better.

Dont punish your self ! Find a smaller tree ! If you find some wood you can handle I would if it were me. You can cut and split smaller diameter trees and produce more wood . That is better than wrestling with those big rounds. Check around you can find some thing better.
Now you tell me...LoL
oh well, too late. break in the snow got me out over the weekend.
Thanks anyway tho
attachment.php

Many a decade ago we bolted angle irons to our toboggan to use for hauling logs from wood pile to car on road or even as a table as seen in photo.
Toboggan is now too deadly to use for hill runs with humans on board but logs work great especially with plywood sides added.

One time we sent a load down the side of a hill to our Dodge maxi van parked along the road and on the bottom they spilled all over. Unfortunately a laughing sheriff was also standing there waiting to see who was loading a van with wood logs. That year numerous thefts of trees in area had occurred and we reported it also, so they were on lookout,which we were glad to see.
They asked for ID but they also said if anybody goes to that much trouble to get a few 6' logs out they must own the wood. We had to hike through the woods about quarter mile each way through more than a foot of snow dragging a toboggan through the trees up and down hills. We all had a good laugh.

Latest posts

Back