well were over the hump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
Days are getting longer, still room for some cold stuff before its over tho. still sitting pretty good here with just over 3 cord seasoned and maybe 2 green.

about 2 full cord dry left. just about enough, unless March comes in ugly.

mornings are holding cold enough to skid out clean on the freeze over.
by afternoon, the slush ends it for the day. need about a week to finish it off for 2011 heating.

is arkansas in the mud seasons now ?

Younger, I've got over 8 cord for next year. Some beside the house and some stacked along fence lines or in the woods. I did learn one thing: I'm not stacking it nearly as high ever again. The ol' pile is starting to lean a bit now that the ground is thawing. Think I would'a learned from last year but nope...did it again.

is arkansas in the mud seasons now ?

Hoo-boy. If it's southeast Arkansas it never not mud season!

Here in western NY it's very spring-like, which sort of sucks because now all the ice that's been nicely covered by snow is exposed and I keep falling down. Plus the cross country skiing has gone to h*ll.

I knew buying those snowshoes last week was going to be the kiss of death to winter wonderland fun. -WSJ

Younger, I've got over 8 cord for next year. Some beside the house and some stacked along fence lines or in the woods. I did learn one thing: I'm not stacking it nearly as high ever again. The ol' pile is starting to lean a bit now that the ground is thawing. Think I would'a learned from last year but nope...did it again.
same here had a stack fall from all the rain. theres not a level place on my 10 acres and we sure are in the mud season here.

It's really slushy out there now buttttt.

Airport Conditions

Rain / Thunder / Wind
Rain / Thunder / Wind High
51° F
Precip: 90%
Windy with rain...perhaps a rumble of thunder in the afternoon. Storms could contain damaging winds. High 51F. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall may reach one inch.

After this forecast for wednesday, slush will be replaced by FLOOD.:dizzy:

It was actually nice enough here Sunday(mid forties) for me to drag the hose out and wash Whats-Her-Name's car, my truck, and the tractor. I got a funny feelin' its gonna get much colder again before it gets much warmer. :cry:

8 in the morning and 57°F here. Hopefully the bugs will start to hatch out and then we'll get a good freeze again so the mosquitoes will be delayed till June or so. Otherwise, I'll have to start drinking deet again and it really gives me heartburn.

Ian

I think we're over the super cold hump here, but if these moisture patterns hold up Im thinking we are going to have some strong spring storms. I should have cut a little more wood last week. I have enough to finish the year, but I'd like to have a better jump on next season.:censored: I think from here on out its going to be one giant slushy muddy mess out cutting wood.

We already have blooms on the brush here, but it is TX, so I still expect some bad weather. Snow is not uncommon at all in March-April. But for now, it's gonna be in the 70's for a few days. I have a little over a cord stacked, but also have a big pile of Oak rounds to split, and one huge Red Oak I still need to drop.

It is -2C (28F) here and we still have a light freezing drizzle that started yesterday. Buses are not running again today (Greyhound, I mean) and highways are closed.

We do not generally get ice on the trees to the point where they start to lose branches or topple over altogether, but after reading about it here I will keep my eyes open to monitor the effect of the rain.

Overall it's been a mild winter so far and we have about 9 cords of firewood - some of that will be used in 2010/2011.

Our winter logging roads close on March 31st so I am hoping for a bit of cold weather yet. I would like to pull out at least a few more cords (5?) before this hauling season ends. If I find a good summer road then I will add to our firewood total over the summer, but it won't be a requirement.

A few more cold snaps, yes. However, the coldest part of the winter should be over and by the third week of March I expect to see (or hear) my first goose of the year.

We've done well this year!

:cheers:

Kind of odd here that the week we generally get some blistering cold we get sweltering heat (70's). Winter started early here , it got cold and did drop some snow but never as cold or as much (here) as I remember it. Maybe I was just expecting it to be worse.

I had 4 cords set back for us and still looking at 2 what I'll need to finish the season with. I still have some left that I intended to sell next years over the weekend. I don't have the room to stay years ahead , but I'll be looking at having a warm winter in the house again next Winter.

The cardinals have returned , a good sign of Spring here , so I probably have to much wood for the year. Which isnt a bad thing.

.... it got cold and did drop some snow but never as cold or as much (here) as I remember it. Maybe I was just expecting it to be worse. ....

Same here. It is like we are in a pocket this year, especially with the snow. 2 hours drive (at the most) in any direction will put me in deeper snow, but the snow levels here are actually quite low for this time of year.

I've been feeling much the same myself in regard to the OP.

As late as the 2nd week in Dec., I was still cutting some "just in case" wood. Standing dead stuff and ash. Now, I go out into the barn and think to myself, when the heck am I ever going to burn all of this?

After last winter, this is a good feeling.

Back