Were to buy muriatic acid. is there different concentrations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Teddy.Scout

Googled it and see it available at Lowes.
Are there different concentrations or specific kind I should buy?
Any recommendations or tips would be appreciative.
Thanks guys.

Time to try (practice) to clean a pile of cylinders that may be salvageable!

Any hardware store will have it near the paint thinner, etc. or near the cement products. They use it to clean bricks, stone, etc.

Are there different kinds?
Or is muriatic acid the same all around?

Matt,

This is wicked stuff, as far as I know it only comes in one standard solution (about 31% acid). Be sure that you use it in an area with adequate air flow and keep it tightly sealed when not in use. People have talked here before about how the gas has escaped and corroded nearby metal, so for that reason it should only be stored in a sturdy plastic jug with a tightly fitting top.

It will burn your eyes, skin and lungs and the damage is not reversible. Keep water and a neutralizing agent close by (lime and baking soda work). Do not pour acid directly into a container as it can splash back and be careful when diluting it in water. If you do dilute it, pour it S L O W L Y as it can "burp" back on you due to the reaction that ensues. Needless to say gloves and a face shield are a must (and don't get it on the wife's plants).

Gary

What is a good solution for cleaning up cylinder walls?

Good info on the warnings.
Read previously were a car port or lean-to may be the best place to store it.

Are there different kinds?
Or is muriatic acid the same all around?

I made the mistake of buying some "green friendly" muriatic acid for my first cylinder restoration job. Less concentrated and basically worthless for the purpose. Get the nasty stuff and follow all the tips given in the various threads for both safety and effectiveness.
Most of all, be patient with the process!

Happy swabbin' and 320 grittin' and rinsin'!!! :cheers:

Poge

What is a good solution for cleaning up cylinder walls?

Good info on the warnings.
Read previously were a car port or lean-to may be the best place to store it.

Use it full strength. I use a shot glass for the acid and a larger cup with water and baking soda solution for my neutralizer in case acid gets where it's not supposed to be. Don't re-use a q-tip as it can contaminate your acid supply after a couple dips.

Poge

Matt,

This is wicked stuff, as far as I know it only comes in one standard solution (about 31% acid). Be sure that you use it in an area with adequate air flow and keep it tightly sealed when not in use. People have talked here before about how the gas has escaped and corroded nearby metal, so for that reason it should only be stored in a sturdy plastic jug with a tightly fitting top.

It will burn your eyes, skin and lungs and the damage is not reversible. Keep water and a neutralizing agent close by (lime and baking soda work). Do not pour acid directly into a container as it can splash back and be careful when diluting it in water. If you do dilute it, pour it S L O W L Y as it can "burp" back on you due to the reaction that ensues. Needless to say gloves and a face shield are a must (and don't get it on the wife's plants).

Gary

I use gallons of it for my pool PH, and there are two different concentrations that I have found. The pool stores carry the stronger one, which is in the range you mention, 30-something%. Home Depot, typically has the lower concentration one, which is about half the stronger concentration. I seem to recall Lowe's having the stronger one a few years ago, but the last time I checked they had the watered-down version too.

For cylinder work I don't know if the concentration would make any difference, but the price is the same, so look for the stronger one. If you don't have a pool supply store around where you live, the weaker one will probably work OK anyway if that's all you can find.

Store it in a well ventilated area. Years ago I had a gallon that I used for masonry etching and I stored it in one of those metal cabinets in the garage. Man, it rusted the crap out of everything with a bare metal surface before I noticed it. Fortunately nothing valuable. I keep my acid for the pool out in the yard in the wide open space, no problems there. If you're going to use it once and then not again for some time, get rid of it unless you have a good open area to store it in. Its like $5-6/gallon, its not worth storing it, just buy another gallon the next time you need it.

Latest posts

Back